What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Earwig bug control?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Has anyone had any luck controlling these pests? I had them other years, but this year is bad. I have tried Diatomacious Earth (DE), made a spray of molasses mixed with Neem and those methods kept them under control a bit. This morning I walked out and a Earwig Nymph was chewing on a heirloom hot pepper. They hit my MMJ some but are really chewing up my pepper plants.

Right now I am making those little traps where you put soy sauce and a little vegetable oil in the bottom of a small jar. Those bugs love the smell of soy sauce, crawl in, and drown in the oil.

What else can I try? Thanks

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
An earlier poster says bugs can't process Molasses (sugar) because of their hard exoskeleton body and they can't fart to get rid of the gas when sugar ferments inside them. I have fond visions of the little buggers exploding. LOL

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had good success with the rolled up wet newspaper method. I unfold the papers and wet (just damp) with a spray bottle. Then roll them up not too tight so there's places for them to crawl into. About 1 trap per square yard worked in my garden, but I don't know how many earwigs you may have. You can just pick up the traps in the morning and throw them out, or if you're in a bad mood, stomp 'em good or maybe even blast them with a flamethrower....heh.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Hey thanks. I will do the newspaper trick this afternoon, and see what I get in the morning.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Right now I am making those little traps where you put soy sauce and a little vegetable oil in the bottom of a small jar. Those bugs love the smell of soy sauce, crawl in, and drown in the oil.

What else can I try? Thanks
Put a light over the trap. Earwigs are attracted to night lights.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
This works absolutely.

Get a 4 foot length of garden hose. Lay it in your garden. Once a day, plug both ends with your thumb and dump it in a bucket of soapy water. Put your hose back down. Done.
I have 4 pieces of hoses in my garden. Works well.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
This works absolutely.

Get a 4 foot length of garden hose. Lay it in your garden. Once a day, plug both ends with your thumb and dump it in a bucket of soapy water. Put your hose back down. Done.
I have 4 pieces of hoses in my garden. Works well.
I wish I knew this 20 yrs ago LOL. One year I grew the most beautiful iceberg lettuce, ony to find when I cut it in two, earwigs where between each leaf of lettuce, there were hundreds in there. They thought the lettuce was a brothel! :( The whole crop was wasted :(:(

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I wish I knew this 20 yrs ago LOL. One year I grew the most beautiful iceberg lettuce, ony to find when I cut it in two, earwigs where between each leaf of lettuce, there were hundreds in there. They thought the lettuce was a brothel! :( The whole crop was wasted :(:(

Same thing happened to me but with sweet corn. Every single silk was eaten. No pistils, no kernels.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I don't think any bugs, but I read if you attract birds they eat the bugs for a light snack. IDK as earwigs are supposed to be nocturnal. I like the idea of toads, but it is so arid here I haven't seen any around.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I don't think any bugs, but I read if you attract birds they eat the bugs for a light snack. IDK as earwigs are supposed to be nocturnal. I like the idea of toads, but it is so arid here I haven't seen any around.
... they strive in the Maritimes and especially in fresh cut wood, or any "new wood"

Rico Swazi

Is there any beneficial bugs to eradicate them?
https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/NE/tachinid_flies.html

one of the best companion plants to attract Tachinidae (and other predators) is Queen Annes Lace.
I was taking pics for another thread and thought I'd share this.

picture.php

Thats an earwig along a host of other critters. My understanding is the earwigs eat the eggs of the tachinid that are laid on the plant or will be parasitized by the fly as it comes to visit.

I haven't had an outbreak of whitefly, aphid or pretty much any other pest since doubling down on bringing natural predators into the garden. Only one I have trouble with is plant lice or cabbage aphid. Like the boxelder bug, seems no natural predator. Chickens want nothing to do with either of them.

BOMBAYCAT things are better I hope? spiders and snakes will eat on earwigs

Rico Swazi

love me some parsnips, seed umbels attract the good guys too
then they make sure my cannabis is doing well, maybe lay some eggs, we'll see

picture.php

on the lower umbrel

picture.php

near the top hanging upside down
picture.php

thought I saw garlic spray mentioned but perhaps another thread

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/NE/tachinid_flies.html

one of the best companion plants to attract Tachinidae (and other predators) is Queen Annes Lace.
I was taking pics for another thread and thought I'd share this.

View Image

Thats an earwig along a host of other critters. My understanding is the earwigs eat the eggs of the tachinid that are laid on the plant or will be parasitized by the fly as it comes to visit.
I believe the black spiny critter with orange markings is a ladybug larva. They are much better bug eaters than the adult ladybug.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/158694

5LNZZL2Z4L9Z7L4ZXH4Z7LYHWHBZ5LAZILJHIL1ZILUZEHFHPH9Z4LBZGLFH8L1Z7L3HILVZ4LNZLL.jpg

Rico Swazi

you are correct, here is one of my lady beetle larvae on the same plant shown above
I was referring to the tachinid fly as being the best for earwigs in that post

lacewings do a great job too, adult and larvae

picture.php

I was just saying in the long run growers should consider companion planting to bring in and keep the good guys in the garden

try the garlic spray for a quick fix
good luck and have a good day everyone
:tiphat:

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
Cool pics of the lacewing, Rico Swazi. I was a little mixed up when I saw the ladybug larva in the shot. Thanks for clearing that up.

Latest posts

Latest posts