What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does type of strain matter with edibles?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I have found strain does NOT make a difference [JME, YMMV]. At least in the way I make edibles.

I believe decarbing has more influence on the final effect than the strain you start with. Over-decarb and you have sleepy time CBN, no matter what you started with. Under-decarb and you have another set of problems.

And, let's not forget that some terps are water soluble so depending on how you cook and decarb, you're loosing some terps.

Overall, I have found that he best way to determine the final effect of your edibles is to add back the appropriate terps.

I always add a little Myrcene to assist with boiavailability. Otherwise, I add the terps I want whether it be party edibles or pain edibles or sleepy time edibles. There was a thread a while back with OzzieAI and WaterFamSomething discussing this in more detail. Worked great for me.

You start by saying strain does not matter. The go on to add that the terpenes you add back in affect the type of high.

Isn't it terpenes that essentially make the high from different strains different?

I know for a fact that a batch heavy on the indica side will be a day ender. And know for a fact certain more sativa batches can be downright trippy and not at all sleepy. Every batch I have ever made has its own personality.

I would never add non cannabis terps...... to anything.

ozzieAI

Veteran
You start by saying strain does not matter. The go on to add that the terpenes you add back in affect the type of high.

Isn't it terpenes that essentially make the high from different strains different?

I know for a fact that a batch heavy on the indica side will be a day ender. And know for a fact certain more sativa batches can be downright trippy and not at all sleepy. Every batch I have ever made has its own personality.

Hey BTF you are right up to a point...like Ringo i can manipulate the effect of the edible through the introduction of terpenes...

depending on your decarb method...i do a fast flash fry that lasts about 10 - 12 minutes depending on moisture content and temps, this releases the vast majority of natural terpenes make the cannabis 'bland' for use of a better word. i have 4 recipes i make to create differing effects so i can 'plan' my day and create a mood...

if you decarb and maintain a higher % of the natural terpenes then yes you will also maintain the individual characteristics of the original weed..

i am really enjoying playing with terpenes and get fairly consistent results...

Ringodoggie

Premium user

Heck no, me either. Everyone knows that Limonene from citrus is TOTALLY different than Limonene from cannabis. Why, someone would have to be a total boob or an idiot to think they were the same. Every fool knows that you NEVER use non-cannabis terpenes. They are no good. The only good Limonene is from cannabis. All the other stuff is fake.

Thanks for the attitude adjustment and for the lesson in terpenes.

I'll never use non-cannabis terpenes again.

Hey Ozzie, what's up bud. Still using what you and Water taught me. Good lessons in that thread.

ozzieAI

Veteran
There is truth to the way in which your body processing it is different between ingesting vs smoking it, but the high is not the same for all edibles, the same way it is with smoking.

Strain, length of flowering, and even the specific plant/clone all factor in. Not to mention the temperature and length of time the edibles are cooked/baked.

My guess on the budtender's answer to your question is either they have no clue what they're talking about or they can't give you an honest answer cause they have no idea what bud was used in the edibles.

I wouldn't be surprised if commercially produced edibles are made from the scraps and trimmings of a variety of different strains, while all the top shelf buds are sold as the labeled varieties. Kind of like you know a strip steak or filet mignon when you get one, but God only knows what's in the hotdog or hamburger meat.

you make some good points and from my experience are correct on all...i don't use my 'best' buds to turn into caps but using a lesser quality product stills makes a damn fine edible...it's just how you use it, your 'dose' and how active you can make it...

making edibles active is the key here...i generally have 2x0 Size caps/day and am 'affected' for 12 - 16 hours, the actual quantity of cannabis is like 0.16 gm/cap...i have using cannabis since 1983 and have been a daily user for the last 16yrs...

ozzieAI

Veteran
Heck no, me either. Everyone knows that Limonene from citrus is TOTALLY different than Limonene from cannabis. Why, someone would have to be a total boob or an idiot to think they were the same. Every fool knows that you NEVER use non-cannabis terpenes. They are no good. The only good Limonene is from cannabis. All the other stuff is fake.

Thanks for the attitude adjustment and for the lesson in terpenes.

I'll never use non-cannabis terpenes again.

Hey Ozzie, what's up bud. Still using what you and Water taught me. Good lessons in that thread.

still playing with caps mate, will be changing up some recipes to try and get a more 'precise' effect happening...

hey don't be rough on BTF...peoples understanding of terpenes is clouded until they realise a terpene is a terpene regardless of where it comes from...

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
still playing with caps mate, will be changing up some recipes to try and get a more 'precise' effect happening...

hey don't be rough on BTF...peoples understanding of terpenes is clouded until they realise a terpene is a terpene regardless of where it comes from...

I guess I should have worded it that if you grow distinctively different strains and do not boil off the parts the make them different, then yes. They do have varying effects.

I have no problem with someone else adding what ever to what they consume.

But I am here to grow cannabis and find it to be amazing enough. That it can be breed to create such a variety. I prefer thinking about how far cannabis can be breed in any number of directions.

I would be more impressed to see someone working on breeding a lemon to create such a diverse list if terps.

ozzieAI

Veteran
I guess I should have worded it that if you grow distinctively different strains and do not boil off the parts the make them different, then yes. They do have varying effects.

I have no problem with someone else adding what ever to what they consume.

But I am here to grow cannabis and find it to be amazing enough. That it can be breed to create such a variety. I prefer thinking about how far cannabis can be breed in any number of directions.

I would be more impressed to see someone working on breeding a lemon to create such a diverse list if terps.

if it wasn't for the process of making edibles reducing the terpene content then it won't be needed...also consider that a strain will display different terpene profiles due to interactions with the plants environment as it grows, is harvested and cured

the process i follow is simply to exert control over the effect to achieve a desired outcome...i have 4 recipes: sleep, day, happy and soothing...

every night i take a sleep cap and depending on my day i will take one of the others or not...i also don't build up any tolerance shifting between the recipes...

i actually am really enjoying making these caps and find that others are also benefiting as well...especially the sleep and anti-inflammatory effects...

Drewsif

The first time I bought an edible it made me wanna lay down and made breathing heavy. Lame. No giggles, no original tunes, no euphoria. Mixing strains, indica garbage of course.

Terps have nothing to do with effect. They are indicators, not inducers of effect. Unless alpha-linolenic acid is a 'terpene'? I dunno, people are really off the rails with this terp talk, as if limonene can be sprayed on anything to make it an uplifting experience lol.

G

GatorGumbo

Terps have nothing to do with effect. They are indicators, not inducers of effect. Unless alpha-linolenic acid is a 'terpene'? I dunno, people are really off the rails with this terp talk, as if limonene can be sprayed on anything to make it an uplifting experience lol.

Patently false.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I'm not so sure you're correct, Drew. I do exactly that and the effect is predictable and pronounced. Ozzie will vouch for this with his edibles as well.

I do agree with you that all this terp talk is off the rails.

ozzieAI

Veteran
I'm not so sure you're correct, Drew. I do exactly that and the effect is predictable and pronounced. Ozzie will vouch for this with his edibles as well.

I do agree with you that all this terp talk is off the rails.

yeah...the effects i am for are generally carried over and experienced by the person taking my caps. when i first started i had 4 stoners 'test' my caps to see if they experienced the same effects. they were given 4 caps of each type simply labelled A, B, & C and asked to report their experiences. overall the results reflected the different effects i was aiming for.

The first time I bought an edible it made me wanna lay down and made breathing heavy. Lame. No giggles, no original tunes, no euphoria. Mixing strains, indica garbage of course.

this what you get when the terpenes have been removed or degraded in the edible as well as a higher level of CBN from a longer/hotter decarb process...don't know about indica garbage though: indica i found is better for making caps than sativa for some reason that i can't pin down for now...

personally i find terp talk very interesting, but overall it's the entourage effect between the cannabinoid and terpene profiles that dictate what you are going to experience...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Kudos once again to you, Ozzie [and waterfamfriend] for putting me on the path back in that thread. I reap the benefits of what I learned every time I do an edible.

:)

ozzieAI

Veteran
ozzieAI, I'd be interested in learning about your caps. Always in need of some good sleep meds.

in a nut shell i grind up the cannabis (20 gm)very fine and decarb in a fry pan on hot a low/mid temp hot plate, about 10 - 12 minutes. what i look for in the decarb is for a colour change i don't let it go brown but i want to see the green change from a bright to a dull colour...if that makes sense. you can go further to increase the CBN but that tends to reduce the strength of the effect. i try and stay under 150 C and never let the cannabis sit for too long by shaking the pan and stirring. don't worry if you see vapour coming off.

i mix with 40mls of liquid lecithin and 40 mls of coconut oil in a low heat just so everything combine. this takes a minute or so then i remove from heat and let sit to cool. whilst it is cooling i load my caps into the cap filler: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-100...sid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&var=571910158426
i use 0 size caps.

when the mixture has cooled to below 40 C i add my terps. my sleep mix is myrcene, linalool and terpinolene in equal quantities and they make up about 1 - 1.5% of the mix. filling the caps is a bit messy and some of the liquid runs between the caps and the holder but most of that can be reclaimed and used in another batch later.

i use a laser thermometer to check temps during the decarb and mixing to ensure i don't get things too hot...

hope this helps, ask any questions you need...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
OK I'll Ask... Is the process of vaping at 360* for only one 2' balloon, then cooking into butter either in a water boil or a low simmer the same idea? The vape is only about a minute duration but still turns the ghost or or green colored material into a yellowish brownish green mixture. That short-baked material (360* max) when heated in butter is sure good. When does the decarb take place?