What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Movies - How Did I Miss That?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
It's like I don't even know you man.

Burn After Reading had me rolling a couple times.

One of my absolute favorite movies is a real piece of crap starring a b list comedian by the name of Bobcat Goldthwait - Shakes the Clown.

Fun Fact - The actor playing the bad clown Binky eventually becomes famous for voicing Spongebob Squarepants.

If you ever want to lose 90 minutes of your life you'll never get back, see if you can find it and watch it. I believe Amazon has it on Prime.

It will change your life. And not for the better.:biggrin:
Holy shit I'm not the only person who has seen Shakes the Clown?!

Bobby Boucher

Last Star Fighter is another gem, if you are into pieces of crap. Probably my favorite piece of crap.

Tried watching “the room” for the first time recently. I had to take the whole thing in in 10 minute increments, over 8-9 sessions. It was so painful.

Heavy Metal was another one I missed for way way too long, but certainly does not belong in a list with any of the aforementioned crap.

White Beard

Now we’re dipping into the extreme end...must be time to mention Frankenhooker, and Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter. Both hysterically, holy-spitballs terrible...and terrifically funny, in the right mood

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Grand Prix (1966) Directed By John Frankenheimer

Grand Prix (1966) Directed By John Frankenheimer

[YOUTUBEIF]QFKUtDQsk_4[/YOUTUBEIF]

RMS

:smoweed:

White Beard

But he only ever plays one character! A whiny, pretentious, sociopathic dandy.

He is probably the best in the world at it.. I’ll give you that.
The Usual Suspects, if you want to see what Spacey can do as an actor. Amazing movie.

The Illusionist is another one (no spacey)

shithawk420

Veteran
Think I already said the Illusionist.never liked Spacey except American Beauty.guy isn't a good actor imo.

John Dunsworth in my Avi was the best living actor.he could play a drunk trailer park supervisor to Shakepear.thats how good he was

shithawk420

Veteran
Now we’re dipping into the extreme end...must be time to mention Frankenhooker, and Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter. Both hysterically, holy-spitballs terrible...and terrifically funny, in the right mood

Frankenhooker was gold! The super crack blowing those hookers was priceless! And let's not forget how fucked the ending was!

Alright if you're going there, one has to witness Robot Monster and Plan 9 From Outer Space. Fine movie making skills on full display in 60's Hollywood style production....the latter by the famed movie master, Ed Wood. An unintentional comedy sci fi masterpiece. Robot Monster, also a serious attempt to make a feature film, was shot in the heat of the desert sun with the main character wearing a gorilla body suit with an old school brass diving helmet. It's fact much better than fiction on film. The writing and acting equally brilliant. A must see.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
[youtubeif]QFKUtDQsk_4[/youtubeif]

RMS

What a sucky drama... :( had to skip through most of it due to complete lack of interest. lol

HOLY CRAP!!! Thank you for sharing this for the cinematography, extremely enjoyable. Anyone who's pushed a machine, or two, to the edge will enjoy this film. The anticipation of something appearing out of the water spray at speed, understanding the physical limits on a rough banked track, the camera angles they used... very well done.

I was born a machine operator, and I give this 2 hearty thumbs up. Makes me want to clip all the drama and make a video of just the good bits. :D

Thank you again! :tiphat:

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I know it's got some corny scenes, but it is a Hollywood movie.

Frankenheimer is legendary for his expertise in cinematography, and this movie exemplifies that. The scenes at the Ferrari factory in Modena are real. All the racing venues are real, ie, Spa, Monza, Monaco.

The final scene where Garner is walking down the track is the pit straight at Monza.

The actor portraying Enzo Ferrari (Agostini Manetta) is the same actor that played the villain - Blofeld- in the old James Bond movies.

The Japanese industrialist millionaire, played by Toshiro Mifune, is suppose to be Soichiro Honda.

The Ferrari 156 Shark Nose driven in the movie is beautiful with its tubular exhaust headers.

If you paid attention, there were famous deceased Grand Prix drivers in some of the scenes, like Phil Hill, Graham Hill, Dan Gurney, Jim Clark, Bob Bodurant, Richie Ginther, Bruce Maclaren, and none other than the legend himself, Juan Manual Fangio.

James Garner was an accomplished race car driver himself, but never drove in F1.

You have to be a motor racing junkie to appreciate this movie.

IMDB - Grand Prix: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060472/fullcredits

Here is another example of Frankenheimer's cinemagraphic brilliance. It's the chase scene in the streets of Paris, from the movie, Ronin.

[YOUTUBEIF]MxxH0lZSYgU[/YOUTUBEIF]

RMS

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'll have to check out Frankenhooker, I'm a big fan of the Grindhouse type films and I'm sure it's up there with them.

Tell me you've all heard of:

Grindhouse It's a Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino double-feature with an awesome cast. The film stars Rose McGowan, Freddy Rodriguez, Marley Shelton, Michael Biehn, Jeff Fahey, Josh Brolin, Naveen Andrews, Fergie, Bruce Willis, Kurt Russell, Rosario Dawson, Tracie Thoms, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and stuntwoman Zoë Bell, who plays herself.

Interestingly enough, the film has a bunch of fictional movie trailers at the beginning. Three of them, Including "Machete," they eventually turned into movies. lol :) Loved that movie! :D

Awesome chase scene in Ronin, thanks again. :) I noticed in Grand Prix the drivers didn't act like 'actors,' but I've never followed the sport enough to recognize anyone. I simply enjoy going VERY fast. Personally, I prefer the sustained anticipation like the banked tracks vs. racing in traffic. One is a calculated and anticipatory risk, while also fighting to maintain control of a skipping vehicle. The other is sudden obstacles and challenges from **mostly** random events of other people.

I'll bet my lack of desire to destroy people or property influences this thinking. lol

White Beard

Not seen Grindhouse for no actual reason, Tarantino and Rodriguez are favorites.

Never seen Grand Prix, but Frankenheimer has made some seriously fine films - specifically, The Manchuria Candidate (original) and Ronin. The two couldn’t really be more different, but both excellent.

Not a racing fan, but I like to drive fast, too: there’s a zone you get into...got a speeding ticket once, for doing 85 in a 30 zone...kinda glad he caught me when he did, because I came *out* of the curves and into half-mile straightaway...if he hadn’t *seen* me when he did, I’d have been up to 100 before I saw his lights.

The fine was minimal...I like to think he admired my driving

shithawk420

Veteran
I wouldnt say Frankenhooker was grindhouse but it was differently different.whoever made that movie was on all kinds of drugs that I want. BEST LINES WERE "WANNA DATE!" FUCKING GOLD