What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get rid of the old threads

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Why not set up a > "This Thread is Useless" topic.

I just saw a STICKY, '420 cup 2016' what good is that?
I would donate some of my old threads as useless, probably others would too. Data base cleanup will save you space and increase response time. Couple rules and some/many go. Unfortunately the trolls would infiltrate and try to get rid of some very good threads..

useless, you still around? you know what i mean! :biggrin:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I know I have many threads that I posted back in the day with another handle that I'm not to proud of today that should be deleted for lousy advice.

St. Phatty

It takes time.

Hard drive space is cheap.

Normally what people pay for is bandwidth.

I notice that quite often, I'm posting in a thread that has been popped to the top, because someone was interested in the subject in 2019.

If I was a mod I would not like the task of reading through ALL THOSE OLD threads. Possibly a relatively thankless, time-consuming task.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
There is always crumbs/tidbits of useful info in old threads if, one is able to extrapolate/decipher the industry changes :tiphat: IMO it provides a baseline for today's changes/evolution. e.g look at the "old" LED threads. We have come a long way baby :)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
It takes time.

Hard drive space is cheap.

Normally what people pay for is bandwidth.

I notice that quite often, I'm posting in a thread that has been popped to the top, because someone was interested in the subject in 2019.

If I was a mod I would not like the task of reading through ALL THOSE OLD threads. Possibly a relatively thankless, time-consuming task.
Yes, I'm one of those. But really, info on 2016 Barcelona 420 cup?
I see some of my old posts.. some make me cringe.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
There is always crumbs/tidbits of useful info in old threads if, one is able to extrapolate/decipher the industry changes :tiphat: IMO it provides a baseline for today's changes/evolution. e.g look at the "old" LED threads. We have come a long way baby :)
and this is true too... so why is it I cant even give away old ballasts, bulbs, hoods and air pumps??:biggrin::biggrin: not arguing just sayin.:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I agree.

Though, it might be a good idea to un-sticky some threads which are woefully outdated now. ;)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unused and useless, dead threads should be removed. If folks want to see them again google archives nearly every keystroke now a days.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm a big fan of removing outdated information, along with unused data. Is there an alternative option to deletion? It's so... permanent. lol

Possibly a read only, archive area? It would keep the data around, while removing it from the main stream.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Old threads can be interesting and somewhat informative,
and if server cost is economical I say keep everything.

Even yummybud and Rezdog, Dr. Bud and gorilla glue threads.

If any one given member has issue with their own posts made in the past,
then by all means self delete those old, crusty posts.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Threads could be like albums. The person that created it would have the best knowledge of what is in it. My bottom 5 threads in North Dakota should be deleted.
Peace

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Threads could be like albums. The person that created it would have the best knowledge of what is in it. My bottom 5 threads in North Dakota should be deleted.
Peace
Switcher: No I'm not.. I was!

farmer.. I'd delete my own but with the handles I used then, I've lost the email address associated with them and cant reset the password or I would delete them myself.

High Buddie.

Brother Nature

Sometimes who you used to be can be a great indicator of where you should go. We've all done things in our lives we would do differently if given the chance, but we're not, so really we should learn from that and just move on. The fact that 90% of what we do and say is now recorded should simply be a reminder of that. I like the old threads, there's a lot to be learned from the past, we've just got to listen.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Sometimes who you used to be can be a great indicator of where you should go.

I had to giggle. The word 'off' was definitely part of what came to mind :D

Perhaps the stickies could be managed a little better. The search terms on this site, like most, can be user defined in terms of what dates to look between for results. Such as results from the last 5 years. Many sites fill the choice in with a default value such as that. Here we just get all results though. Which is fine for me, and can be ordered chronologically. So you know your digging deep into the past.

Deleting history is an act of dictatorship. Good for guiding the sheeple, but extremely stifling if you want to do research. A forums value comes from the records it keeps. You can't prune bits off based on age. Like fashion, some things come back around. Imidacloprid has been banned, and we are probably too young a forum to know how to boil up tobacco. Soap sprays were just going out of fashion when we started, but are coming back. Neem oil is ancient history, unavailable from garden centers near me. Yet held in high regard by organic growers who are passionate about their work.

Progress relies on keeping the past. Or how would you recognise it. How would you know you were not just repeating everything. How do we recognise the one person that actually remembers, from the one making things up. We need records. What is OG ?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I had to giggle. The word 'off' was definitely part of what came to mind :D

Perhaps the stickies could be managed a little better. The search terms on this site, like most, can be user defined in terms of what dates to look between for results. Such as results from the last 5 years. Many sites fill the choice in with a default value such as that. Here we just get all results though. Which is fine for me, and can be ordered chronologically. So you know your digging deep into the past.

Deleting history is an act of dictatorship. Good for guiding the sheeple, but extremely stifling if you want to do research. A forums value comes from the records it keeps. You can't prune bits off based on age. Like fashion, some things come back around. Imidacloprid has been banned, and we are probably too young a forum to know how to boil up tobacco. Soap sprays were just going out of fashion when we started, but are coming back. Neem oil is ancient history, unavailable from garden centers near me. Yet held in high regard by organic growers who are passionate about their work.

Progress relies on keeping the past. Or how would you recognise it. How would you know you were not just repeating everything. How do we recognise the one person that actually remembers, from the one making things up. We need records. What is OG ?
This is a privatly owned site and IS a dictatorship. But I am not suggesting all threads over x amount of time be eliminated but a forum topic open for suggestions of threads that are useless (Hi useless) and mods can pick an choose the dead non informative threads to delete. I didnt say it would be an easy task but some threads are just junk.

Latest posts

Latest posts