What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HELP..Wasted 25g of cannabis on my first try of cannabutter

1Maconheiro

So my first attempt of cannabutter was a failure. 1oz to 1pound of butter. Followed the "Cannabutter in 7 easy steps" thread, got the water to a boil, added butter, after butter melted I added the weed, at about the 2 hour mark of simmering on low the water ran out and I could smell the cannabis burning so I decided to add more water, the whole thing boiled out of control and all over my stove.

Where did I go wrong? Did I not add enough water in the beginning? Are you not suppose to add water when it runs low?

moka

You did not add enough water in the beginning. You should plan on 3 parts water to 1 part butter, accounting for how long you plan to simmer. A rice cooker works well.

S

SeaMaiden

I'm going to recommend using a crock pot instead of doing this over your stove.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
also you should stir things up from time to time when simmering.

so.. more water, lots of simmering (not boiling), the ocasional stir, and a thermometer would help. (a cooking one or an IR one.)

G

greenmatter

I'm going to recommend using a crock pot instead of doing this over your stove.

:yeahthats:yeahthats:yeahthats

crock pots take all the thinking out of it. i have not had any problems since i started using one.

add weed, butter and water ...... set on low for about 8 hours and walk away.

Swan Lee

Yeah,i made some cannabutter recently using 2/1 water/butter and just got away with it,definitely use 3/1 at least next time...Also,i just made half oz /to half lb in case i fucked up.:)
Also,Sea Maiden,by crock pot,do you mean in the oven ? OK,Greenmatters answered this ,thanks:thank you:

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
I was questioning a growbro about some trim options and edibles are definitely part of that plan...

completely irrelevant to OP sorry for the /hijack but does water cured herb have a less 'weedy' taste if used in cannabutter? I'd imagine so as water curing pulls all kinds of gunk out.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
When I read the instructions they said simmer don't boil. I've never ran out of water because it doesn't boil away. I use a crockpot on low after it reaches a simmer on hi.

D

dramamine

You can add more water at any point in the simmering process....you could even use a lid to stop the evaporation. Water isn't an ingredient, it just keeps the temperature of the butter at or below 212 F. Boiling the mixture works fine, but produces a more bitter product.

pip313

Don't take this the wrong way but use common sence, if ur butters burning it's hotter than 212f. Don't burn yourself or start a butter fire by adding water to hot oil (butter)

TeenHippy

I was taught by a oldtimer who been making butter for 30+ years and have been making my own for about three years the way I do it is just spend a little money on a double boiler cut up 1/2lb of butter throw it in when butter has liquefied add cannabis/keif (no water in this method) stir with whisk every 5-10min for 2hrs then put muslim sock (purchased at home brew store basically giant cheese cloth sock) over bowl pour cannabutter into to filter out plant material squeeze butter out of plant ball in the sock then simply add your edible ingredients (cookie,brownie,cake mix) and then cook. Now I know its nice to have a hardstick of butter for whenever but if your gonna cook that day this method works great. Also if your using high quality flowers 7-10 grams more than enough for 1/2lb of butter the 1oz/1lb butter is for when you use dirt/schwag or trimmings unless you want to make outrageous medibles you can to the 1/1 with high quality flowers and just get destroyed but I find if people with lower tolerances can't handle food that strong

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
If you boil the stuff you´re degrading the quality.
I add water by the table spoon to the butter&weed mix on a crockpot on the lower setting.
Every 15mins i check and add another few drops of water if necessary and give it a good stir. Usually i simmer the mix for a couple of hours, no more.
Let it cool a bit, grab a large mixing bowl, a muslin cloth and a large enough rubber band.
Secure the cloth with the rubber band over the bowl, leaving it loose enough to create a depression not a drum, and empty the mixture over it.
Sieve it, put in the fridge to solidify and clean of any impurities.
Discard green material.

supermanlives

Veteran
I was questioning a growbro about some trim options and edibles are definitely part of that plan...

completely irrelevant to OP sorry for the /hijack but does water cured herb have a less 'weedy' taste if used in cannabutter? I'd imagine so as water curing pulls all kinds of gunk out.
in my experience yes.

1Maconheiro

ok guys and gals, trying a different method, using two pots this time. 1 large pot with water boiling/simmering and a smaller pot that has the melted butter and cannabis mix. I put the smaller pot in the bigger one with boiling water. If i need to add more water i can just add to the bigger pot. Its working so far, i'm 1 hour into the simmering.. wish me luck..

TeenHippy

You've essentially rigged together a double boiler system together I've done the same thing at friends house when double boiler wasn't available congrats and good luck and have fun

geeker

So my first attempt of cannabutter was a failure. 1oz to 1pound of butter. Followed the "Cannabutter in 7 easy steps" thread, got the water to a boil, added butter, after butter melted I added the weed, at about the 2 hour mark of simmering on low the water ran out and I could smell the cannabis burning so I decided to add more water, the whole thing boiled out of control and all over my stove.

Where did I go wrong? Did I not add enough water in the beginning? Are you not suppose to add water when it runs low?

to know where you went wrong, look to the bold, italicized, underlined red words. answered it yerself.