Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Taking cuttings from flowering plants (AKA Monster Cropping) - Question

Thread Title Search
Taking cuttings from flowering plants (AKA Monster Cropping) - Question Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 AM #1
tilopa

tilopa will become famous soon enoughtilopa will become famous soon enough
Taking cuttings from flowering plants (AKA Monster Cropping) - Question

I have some outdoor mothers that I unwittingly let slip into flower, probably only 10 days in, and I need to take cuttings asap. I've read the "how tos" but still have a question. And I've actually tried this once before but it took over a month and ended up only about 25% rooted, so I'm hoping to achieve better results this time.

My question is, when taking the cuts should I try and cut out any buds. In looking at them close up the very top node is budding. Should I cut that node off, just like if I'm topping a veg plant? Or should I just leave the buds?

Any other tips on how to have a better success rate is appreciated.
tilopa is offline Quote

Old 07-29-2020, 02:43 AM #2
I wood

I wood has disabled reputation
A small bud rooted like a normal clone has worked well for me. This rooted in a couple of weeks and put out normal growth immediately.
The other few times rooted buds sent many shoots out that were gangly and took weeks to get normal. H2O2 sprayed at about 1% helped a lot, even saved a few that got a bit of mold.

Snipped the bud off and smoked it a week or so after picture.

Still adrift in Hilbert space.
I wood is online now Quote

Old 07-29-2020, 12:41 PM #3
RockinRobot

RockinRobot has a brilliant futureRockinRobot has a brilliant futureRockinRobot has a brilliant futureRockinRobot has a brilliant futureRockinRobot has a brilliant futureRockinRobot has a brilliant futureRockinRobot has a brilliant futureRockinRobot has a brilliant futureRockinRobot has a brilliant futureRockinRobot has a brilliant futureRockinRobot has a brilliant future
The key with flowering clones is that for every week it was in flower it will take that long to revert to veg. If they have been flowering too long they may not re-veg at all dependent on strain. Latest I've personally ever managed to clone a flowering plant was 4 weeks into flower.

I always took clones with a little popcorn bud on top. Remove any lower buds but leave that little one on top.
RockinRobot is offline Quote

Old 07-29-2020, 01:14 PM #4
shawkmon
Pleasantly dissociated

shawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud ofshawkmon has much to be proud of
put the cutting in dark for 2 days , it will reset then 247 light, it will reveg faster, remember it is alive and lives by light cycles. puff

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.
Henry David Thoreau
shawkmon is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:43 PM #5
SuperBadGrower

SuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to behold
I have had to do that a few times. I would recommend not damaging them at all, and not putting it in too high humidity (a dome). the bud can rot and host diseases or whatever happens.

These are all rooted, from then on it's just patience. If you zoom in on the new growth you can see the reveg is just happening.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rooted.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	543148

they tend to look a bit worse than normal clones:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rooted2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	543149

All in 50-65% RH (ambient)
10 days in, no problem mate. You don't need a guide, just confidence cut off the stem and stick it in your preferred medium.

RE: damaging/cutting I leave you with this. I'm sure one can extrapolate.

(2018, Vegetative propagation of cannabis by stem cuttings: effects of leaf number, cutting position, rooting hormone and leaf tip removal)
SuperBadGrower is online now Quote

Old 07-29-2020, 02:46 PM #6
mean mr.mustard
I Pass Satellites

Location: Overturning Pebbles and Upending All the Animals Alight
mean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivor
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=365514
mean mr.mustard is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:04 PM #7
xavier7995

xavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilopa View Post
I have some outdoor mothers that I unwittingly let slip into flower, probably only 10 days in, and I need to take cuttings asap. I've read the "how tos" but still have a question. And I've actually tried this once before but it took over a month and ended up only about 25% rooted, so I'm hoping to achieve better results this time.

My question is, when taking the cuts should I try and cut out any buds. In looking at them close up the very top node is budding. Should I cut that node off, just like if I'm topping a veg plant? Or should I just leave the buds?

Any other tips on how to have a better success rate is appreciated.
I leave the bud. Normally I take two clones from each plant a few weeks into flower in case some seem awesome and I want to run them again. I haven't really noticed much decrease in my success rate taking early in flower vs still in veg. There is a bit of a stall and period where they look ugly as they revert to veg.

I dont do much fancy, I tend to use bottom branches that I determine won't amount to much. I get a small cup of coco and wet it down thoroughly, then push it down to compact it a bit and squeeze a bit of water out. I use some sorta tool or stick to make a hole in the coco to drop my clone in. Prep whatever rooting hormone, it helps with the success rate, currently using some powder from home depot, but i don't think brand/type matters much. Clip off a bottom branch at the stalk, i keep the top two or three leaves and the growth tip, clip leaves in half. Trim stem to desired length, i go with a 45 degree angle for the cut, and gently scrape the outer layer of the stem off with side of scissors. Dip in rooting compound and then drop into prepped hole, press growing medium in as close to stem as possible. Stick it under a dome for 1-4 days depending on climate, then give it a week or two. I do not normally need to water them until they have rooted. Water lightly if you notice them dry out.
xavier7995 is online now Quote

Old 07-29-2020, 11:11 PM #8
tilopa

tilopa will become famous soon enoughtilopa will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mr.mustard View Post
Thanks, but this thread is about revegging, I'm asking about cuttings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawkmon View Post
put the cutting in dark for 2 days , it will reset then 247 light, it will reveg faster, remember it is alive and lives by light cycles. puff
Hmmm, resetting huh? Kind of like resetting your light timer? I guess there is a certain logic to that...maybe. But I like the idea of leaving them on 247, that is as opposite from 12/12 as you can get.
tilopa is offline Quote

Old 08-01-2020, 04:06 AM #9
mean mr.mustard
I Pass Satellites

Location: Overturning Pebbles and Upending All the Animals Alight
mean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilopa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannaseekr View Post
From my experience you want to leave bud sites on the plant to reveg because the revegatative growth actually develops from the center of the flower where the stem is. The more I leave on my plants to reveg the better success rates I have. Also have noticed that if I remove the bud sites too soon after the veg growth has begun, the plant has a difficult time uptaking water due to decreased photosynthesis.
I had thought perhaps you could get some clarification on whether or not to trim the bud.

As your clone depends upon revegging eventually, I was trying to be helpful influencing the decision to trim the bud or not.

I certainly don't feel like it wasn't worth the contribution, but I can't worry if you don't really read it and draw any correlation at all.

As for a higher success rate, I'm going to suggest cutting clones from plants that aren't flowering quite yet but still after introduction to the flowering light cycle.
mean mr.mustard is offline Quote

Old 08-01-2020, 03:08 PM #10
GoatCheese

GoatCheese has disabled reputation
I just took cuttings out of two G13Hazes that had been blooming for few weeks with buds starting to form and those rooted in about a week in jiffy pucks in 20/4 light cycle. Straight from 12/12 to 20/4.

Just take some cuttings out of the lower branches and try rooting them as you'd normally do with cuttings off a vegging plant. 10 days or few weeks in bloom shouldn't be a problem at all.
GoatCheese is offline Quote