Wearing Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
su
re use computers to produce the material. but i think you know thats not what i was talking about. i was always taking about children's screen time

....except it was me talking not you, I believe, when you burst upon the scene with; dude......blblablabla. :):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
im not a troglodyte, lol. sure use computers to produce the material. but i think you know thats not what i was talking about. i was always taking about children's screen time

i think it depends on the schools, if they do a good job, they teach kids a lot about social interactions, how we are all different and can still have fun, lots of socializing happens in the play ground. for average kids i feel its mostly beneficial if they have to learn to navigate the play ground.

but yes, smaller classes are way more efficient when it comes to learning. i think 20 is about right

the problem is we are actually not letting the professionals speak. you tube, facebook etc are all deleting anything that goes against the msm narrative. they have shut down doctors, virologists and many other scientists who are all sounding warning bells about the net effect of the lock down compared to the net effect of covid.
Nothing replaces social interaction. The written word is often misunderstood while body language says it all :tiphat:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well well, looki here...

well well, looki here...

Russia's COVID-19 vaccine showed antibody response in initial trials

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-russia-vaccine-idUSKBN25V1I2

September 4, 2020

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia’s “Sputnik-V” COVID-19 vaccine produced an antibody response in all participants in early-stage trials, according to results published on Friday by The Lancet medical journal that were hailed by Moscow as an answer to its critics.

The results of the two trials, conducted in June-July this year and involving 76 participants, showed 100% of participants developing antibodies to the new coronavirus and no serious side effects, The Lancet said.

Russia licensed the two-shot jab for domestic use in August, the first country to do so and before any data had been published or a large-scale trial begun.

“The two 42-day trials – including 38 healthy adults each – did not find any serious adverse effects among participants, and confirmed that the vaccine candidates elicit an antibody response,” The Lancet said.

“Large, long-term trials including a placebo comparison, and further monitoring are needed to establish the long-term safety and effectiveness of the vaccine for preventing COVID-19 infection,” it said.

The vaccine is named Sputnik-V in homage to the world’s first satellite, launched by the Soviet Union. Some Western experts have warned against its use until all internationally approved testing and regulatory steps have been taken.

But with the results now published for the first time in an international peer-reviewed journal, and with a 40,000-strong later-stage trial launched last week, a senior Russian official said Moscow had faced down its critics abroad.

“With this (publication) we answer all of the questions of the West that were diligently asked over the past three weeks, frankly with the clear goal of tarnishing the Russian vaccine,” said Kirill Dmitriev, the head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, which has backed the vaccine.

“All of the boxes are checked,” he told Reuters. “Now... we will start asking questions of some of the Western vaccines.”

Commenting on the results of the early-stage trials, lead author Dr Naor Bar-Zeev of the International Vaccine Access Center, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA said the studies were “encouraging but small”.

Bar-Zeev, who was not involved in the study, said “clinical efficacy for any COVID-19 vaccine has not yet been shown.”

“The report is a case of ‘so far, so good’,” Brendan Wren, Professor of Microbial Pathogenesis at London’s School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine said.

RACE TO DEVELOP VACCINE

Dmitriev said at least 3,000 people had already been recruited for the large-scale trial of the Sputnik-V vaccine launched last week, and initial results were expected in October or November this year.

Health minister Mikhail Murashko has said Russia will start mass inoculation from November or December, with a focus on high-risk groups. It will take nine to 12 months to vaccinate the majority of the population, said Alexander Gintsburg, director of the Gamaleya Institute which developed the vaccine.

Governments and big pharmaceutical firms are racing to develop a vaccine to end the COVID-19 pandemic, which has killed more than 850,000 people globally and infected around 26 million.

Over half a dozen drugmakers are already conducting advanced clinical trials, each with tens of thousands of participants. Several, including Britain’s AstraZeneca and U.S. drugmakers Moderna and Pfizer expect to know if their COVID-19 vaccines work and are safe by the end of 2020.

The Lancet said the early-stage trials suggested the Sputnik-V vaccine produced a response in a component of the immune system known as T cells.

Scientists have been scrutinising the role played by T cells in battling coronavirus infection, with recent findings showing these cells may provide longer-term protection than antibodies. [L1N2EH0X8]

The Sputnik-V vaccine is administered in two doses, with each based on a different vector that normally causes the common cold: human adenoviruses Ad5 and Ad26.

Some experts have said using this delivery mechanism could make a COVID-19 vaccine less effective, as many people have already been exposed to the Ad5 adenovirus and developed immunity to it.

Russia has said it expects to produce between 1.5 million and 2 million doses per month of its potential vaccine by the end of the year, gradually increasing production to 6 million doses a month.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Damn, the RNA vaccine doesn't work? That's the one I was most excited about. And probably the safest if it had worked.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
su

....except it was me talking not you, I believe, when you burst upon the scene with; dude......blblablabla. :):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i regret it now, as it's looking like there is actually no disagreement as i already pmed you, we both think too much screen time is shit for kids. we both agree computers are a good tool for teachers. why are we still going on about this?

Are you all till buying into this pandemic ? even with all the lies and deception your till wearing a mask ? this is all fake , from tip to tail this all a political/financial game .. they are really breaking one off in the ass of the general public

packerfan79

Veteran
Interest rates are as low as they can get. This would be an ideal time to invest in our educational system. Adding smaller classrooms, and modifying the vent systems of the existing schools would be the right thing to do.
An investment in education is good for our children today, and our country tomorrow.
The same being true of for medicare for all.

You are not wrong, unfortunately, the unions will ensure every dollar goes to the massively bloated school administrations. I can only speak for California, maybe there are areas in our country that have education systems not owned by the teachers unions.

Teachers unions are no different than police unions, the protect their members, no one protects the kids. Unfortunately, this disproportionately affects minority students, who's parents are unwilling, or unable to fight for a better education.

You really want to start a revolution, start with the millionaires that run the teachers unions. That actually might make a real long-term impact.

Their are neighborhood groups who are holding private in home school hiring their own teachers. That's a good way to get arrested in California.

L.A. teachers want to eliminate all charter schools, defund police, M4A , before they decide they are willing to do their job they have been paid for this whole time. I believe that is also known as extortion.

Sure as hell wouldn't let my children attend an L.A. public school.

Gry

Veteran
You are not wrong, unfortunately, the unions will ensure every dollar goes to the massively bloated school administrations. I can only speak for California, maybe there are areas in our country that have education systems not owned by the teachers unions.

Teachers unions are no different than police unions, the protect their members, no one protects the kids. Unfortunately, this disproportionately affects minority students, who's parents are unwilling, or unable to fight for a better education.

You really want to start a revolution, start with the millionaires that run the teachers unions. That actually might make a real long-term impact.

Their are neighborhood groups who are holding private in home school hiring their own teachers. That's a good way to get arrested in California.

L.A. teachers want to eliminate all charter schools, defund police, M4A , before they decide they are willing to do their job they have been paid for this whole time. I believe that is also known as extortion.

Sure as hell wouldn't let my children attend an L.A. public school.
Packer, good of you to admit that I am not wrong in my intent, lets go over a wee bit of history here.

It was labor that made this country what it was, and give it the largest middle class on earth.
I got to experience and see the back end of that prior to St Ronnie sending our jobs to a quaint and rural country with a heroin problem on the other side of the earth.
It was really nice, and different as hell than today.
It was labor and unions that fought like hell to give us those decent wages and jobs.
I watched the corporate boys work like dogs to destroy that America that I loved.
It was painful to watch them lay their declaration of war against the people I love.
I did not understand it as a kid, but with the passage of time, their intent became obvious.

Should you or anyone else who may read this wonder what I am referring to,
I would invite you to read the Powell memo. Decide for yourself if my description is accurate.
Every one that I ever cared for or respected served this country, and the
one's who I am most fond of served it all their lives.
I have to say it is sad to see you, whom I do believe to be a decent person,
besmirch that rich and fine history by carrying and delivering the corporate message
as if you were a water boy for their effort, which in essence you are.
You speak of millionaire union members and fail to mention a billionaire
financed effort to gut the educational system by the Devos Family.
They want to privatize the countries educational system.
They seek to profit off of every child's education.
It may very well be sir, that we agree on very few things, but in truth,
I want your kids to have the finest education that this country can provide for them.
I want everyone's children to have not just the same opportunities that I had,
I would desperately like them to have even better.
I don't think it will happen with some rich asshole attempting to scrape all the profit
they can pocket off of our kids education.
I do not want to see the country I love further privatized, and that includes
the beloved Post Office which Ben Franklin did bless us with.
Sorry if that is contrary to what the corporate overlords instruct, but
I despise them as much as you do our history of labor and unions.

packerfan79

Veteran
Packer, good of you to admit that I am not wrong in my intent, lets go over a wee bit of history here.

It was labor that made this country what it was, and give it the largest middle class on earth.
I got to experience and see the back end of that prior to St Ronnie sending our jobs to a quaint and rural country with a heroin problem on the other side of the earth.
It was really nice, and different as hell than today.
It was labor and unions that fought like hell to give us those decent wages and jobs.
I watched the corporate boys work like dogs to destroy that America that I loved.
It was painful to watch them lay their declaration of war against the people I love.
I did not understand it as a kid, but with the passage of time, their intent became obvious.

Should you or anyone else who may read this wonder what I am referring to,
I would invite you to read the Powell memo. Decide for yourself if my description is accurate.
Every one that I ever cared for or respected served this country, and the
one's who I am most fond of served it all their lives.
I have to say it is sad to see you, whom I do believe to be a decent person,
besmirch that rich and fine history by carrying and delivering the corporate message
as if you were a water boy for their effort, which in essence you are.
You speak of millionaire union members and fail to mention a billionaire
financed effort to gut the educational system by the Devos Family.
They want to privatize the countries educational system.
They seek to profit off of every child's education.
It may very well be sir, that we agree on very few things, but in truth,
I want your kids to have the finest education that this country can provide for them.
I want everyone's children to have not just the same opportunities that I had,
I would desperately like them to have even better.
I don't think it will happen with some rich asshole attempting to scrape all the profit
they can pocket off of our kids education.
I do not want to see the country I love further privatized, and that includes
the beloved Post Office which Ben Franklin did bless us with.
Sorry if that is contrary to what the corporate overlords instruct, but
I despise them as much as you do our history of labor and unions.

I have no problem with private sector unions. I was a union member for a little over a decade. I got kicked out when I got hurt. 1.5 years of physical therapy and paying cobra to keep my insurance. I got lots of threats if I used workers comp. I was loyal, I didn't use workers comp, still got kicked out. Didn't even get the 6 months of union dues I had just paid back , while I had no income, and paying cobra. Now I work non union in a different industry, and make 15k more a year and don't get extorted for the right to work every month.

A few people on the board fought for me, they are no longer in the union. Quickly excised for disloyalty. It's a mafia.

Even with all that bullshit, I still support the workers right to unionize.

Public sector should not unionize, they donate to campaigns to ensure they get the contracts they want. Pay to play aka bribery.

Charter schools are the future for those who care about their children's education.

When people are more concerned about the unions, than our children's education, their priorities are screwed.

Billionaires aren't forcing people to attend schools that don't teach children, but house them in gang infested kiddy prisons. Many LA high schools have zero students that can pass 8th grade exit exams.

You seem to be stuck in the last century. Every thing you discuss seems to be 40 years out of date. That's not going to be accurate for the world we live in today.

Gry

Veteran
I have no problem with private sector unions. I was a union member for a little over a decade. I got kicked out when I got hurt. 1.5 years of physical therapy and paying cobra to keep my insurance. I got lots of threats if I used workers comp. I was loyal, I didn't use workers comp, still got kicked out. Didn't even get the 6 months of union dues I had just paid back , while I had no income, and paying cobra. Now I work non union in a different industry, and make 15k more a year and don't get extorted for the right to work every month.

A few people on the board fought for me, they are no longer in the union. Quickly excised for disloyalty. It's a mafia.

Even with all that bullshit, I still support the workers right to unionize.

Public sector should not unionize, they donate to campaigns to ensure they get the contracts they want. Pay to play aka bribery.

Charter schools are the future for those who care about their children's education.

When people are more concerned about the unions, than our children's education, their priorities are screwed.

Billionaires aren't forcing people to attend schools that don't teach children, but house them in gang infested kiddy prisons. Many LA high schools have zero students that can pass 8th grade exit exams.

You seem to be stuck in the last century. Every thing you discuss seems to be 40 years out of date. That's not going to be accurate for the world we live in today.
Petty insults has become your trademark.

Gry

Veteran
Over a thousand lives will be lost today.
Masks and social distancing can save lives.

packerfan79

Veteran
Petty insults has become your trademark.

I wasn't trying to insult you. Just pointing out that every response is Regan is bad, or Eisenhower is this or that. We are dealing with 21st century problems, and you are more concerned with criticizing a guy who's been dead for years.

It seems facts contradictory to your beliefs are interpreted by you as a petty insult. If you are going to hang out here you should probably get a thicker skin.

As to your double post. Out of an abundance of caution mask and social distancing are a good idea.

My only issue is why do states with strict lockdown policies have greater death and infection rates ( obviously New York, New Jersey, and Michigan is due to the hospital to nursing home death pipeline) but California is a great example, 6 months of lockdown little improvement in Covid19 numbers.

Gry

Veteran
I wasn't trying to insult you. Just pointing out that every response is Regan is bad, or Eisenhower is this or that. We are dealing with 21st century problems, and you are more concerned with criticizing a guy who's been dead for years.
We have been going the wrong direction for the past 40 years as a result of the Regan revolution.
That was at the behest of the corporate crew who have convinced you they are they real America as opposed to those who labored to make it great.
The problems we face to are to a large extent the result of the program they came up with to trade in our middle class for the rich few.
The rich few bought all our politicians. Which is why things do not improve.

The multipost is I believe the result of a software glitch, it was unintentional on my part.

Amynamous

My only issue is why do states with strict lockdown policies have greater death and infection rates ( obviously New York, New Jersey, and Michigan is due to the hospital to nursing home death pipeline) but California is a great example, 6 months of lockdown little improvement in Covid19 numbers.

I wonder how much worse it would be in those same locations if there were no “lockdown”?

Klompen

I have also had massive problems with unions in multiple jobs. Corrupt unions are horrible, and the government generally makes things even worse. Most government officials I encountered were more worried about union busting than fixing my problem. Our union rep was really chummy with our bosses, and when called in to assist us he would just make small talk with them for the whole meeting and never get anything done. Unions, as they are, are at least sometime very dysfunctional.

The big problem ultimately stems from the fact that owner/manager culture is obsessed with union busting and the unions themselves are run by over-paid, pampered babies who largely won't risk their 6 digit pay check to bother fighting for anything like they did in the old days.

All that said: Unions are vital to our future and vital to ending the long-standing paradigm of exploitation and abuse by the powerful over the powerless. We need some sort of deep fundamental reform for the concept of unions and nobody really seems to be working on better fundamental ideas for union organizing. Ideally we could come up with a system where workers are not being victimized by either the union leaders or their managers.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
We have been going the wrong direction for the past 40 years as a result of the Regan revolution.
That was at the behest of the corporate crew who have convinced you they are they real America as opposed to those who labored to make it great.
The problems we face to are to a large extent the result of the program they came up with to trade in our middle class for the rich few.
The rich few bought all our politicians. Which is why things do not improve.

The multipost is I believe the result of a software glitch, it was unintentional on my part.
you mean like soros, bezos, zucker, zuckerberg, et al, or did you mean the poliTICKS that infest our legislative body...that remain in power to use the NSA as insider trading?

which of the politicians did President Trump buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts