What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SIPing, SCROGing, Smoking and logging...organically of course

Bmac1

Veteran
Original Glue

picture.php

Citradelic Sunset

picture.php

SourA5Haze

picture.php

Bmac1

Veteran
Today I got a head start on my next tea by "supercharging " my EWC with the intention of creating a more fungal dominant tea now that the plants should be about done stretching.

I started with 1/2 cup oatmeal and then dusted it up in the magic bullet.

picture.php

picture.php

Then I got 1 cup of my EWC and 1/2 cup of fish compost for its woody content.

picture.php

A 500:1 molasses -water solution is what is called for to dampen things but I just got some tap water, almost 3/4 cup and dissolved a small scrape of molasses on the back of a teaspoon into it. It was about the size of a small dab. Enough to make the water about a piss color.

picture.php

Bmac1

Veteran
At first I thought it was too much oats.

picture.php

But once dampened, it looked just fine. I want to emphasize the just damp part. It really is just enough to moisten. If you grab a handful of this and can squeeze out more than a drop or two of water, it's too wet, add a bit more ewc.

I then cut a few holes in the lid.

picture.php

Now it will sit for the next 24-48 hours on top of the t5 reflectorin my veg tent and should grow a nice white fuzz of mycelium. I will then use it to brew an AACT.

picture.php

Bmac1

Veteran
Here we are at about 30-36 hours later and while tough to see in the pic, the entire surface is covered in mycelium. I will get a tea started with this today. Of course you could let it go longer, but this will line up well to water when they need it next.

I will put this I to 4 gals water and add 2 tbsp each of hyrdrolysate and kelp flour and bubble for at least 24 hours.

picture.php

The SCROG is now at 23 days of 12/12. The glue made it clear from early on that it was her screen. I have purchased a new net as they need some additional support. Particularly the citradelic sunset as it is already flipping and absolutely reeking of oranges.

The cover crop is dying back and I believe this is because the surface is a bit dry and I also put the trimmings on top of it.

Glue is on the right.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Bmac1

Veteran
Green and Clean, Looks good I'm tuned in!

Welcome aboard blazeoneup. Nice show you have going on as well.

I got the tea going this afternoon.

Into 4 gallons of water:

Pinch of compost and I let that bubble for 5 mins to deal with the chlorine.

1.5 cup supercharged mixture (1cup ewc, .5 cup fish compost)
2 tsp fish hyrdrolysate
2 tsp kelp flour
2 tsp alfalfa meal
1 tsp of glacial rock dust
1 tsp of granular humic acid

I dont even know if the humic acid is water soluble but I tried it because I had it as most fungal tea recipes I see call for humic acid.

This will bubble for 24-30 hours.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I’m in....

The SIP in the title drew me in... SIPs have been a huge breakthrough for me. Perfect moisture levels combined with organic growing made my flowers take a huge leap in quality.

It’s like hydroponics has finally made its’ way into organic growing.

Bmac1

Veteran
Hey Bmac,

I am just about to try Earthbox SIPs....

Do you put a layer of anything between your soil and the reservoir?

I put a layer of expanded clay pellets at the bottom of the tote, maybe 2-3" deep. On the middle is the bottom third of a 1 gallon pot pushed to the bottom for the wick. Then a layer of weed barrier to cover the clay pellets. Drilled a hole on the side, angle cut a piece of 3/4 pvc and jabbed it to the bottom in the corner.

I’m in....

The SIP in the title drew me in... SIPs have been a huge breakthrough for me. Perfect moisture levels combined with organic growing made my flowers take a huge leap in quality.

It’s like hydroponics has finally made its’ way into organic growing.

I agree, it really is a God send. This is my second run in a SIP and on the first, I was able to go to Cuba for a week on a single watering g and came back to healthy, lush plants that were just ready for a drink.

I really want to get a 4x4 grassroots bed for my tent.

Jayded

Great looking plants Bmac.
I see the sip's work just as well without the covers on them,i didn't like the thought of having to run anaerobically using the covers and your plants are showing they work fine without!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
[/QUOTE] I agree, it really is a God send. This is my second run in a SIP and on the first, I was able to go to Cuba for a week on a single watering g and came back to healthy, lush plants that were just ready for a drink.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah man!! I’ve been into it since beginning 2019 and I have yet to find a disadvantage to the system, hand watering seems so primitive now.

If you know you won’t be able to check on plants for a while I found you can over fill slightly to buy more time, as long as the plant is large enough and drinking vigorously. The biggest concern for newbies to SIP is the container going anaerobic. I had one that filled up to the top with rainwater and it still didn’t go anaerobic, hasn’t been an issue for me at all as long as only fresh water goes into the reservoir. But you can water from the top with nutes up to a point if needed.

I’m surprised it didn’t catch on decades ago?

Last edited:

Bmac1

Veteran
I am still pouring my teas in as a drench but all waterings go into the fill tube. I hadn't though about anything going anaerobic. I have the hole in the side to prevent over filling and have used a living mulch followed by mulching the trimmed leaves and have had no issues this far. I've only tried the SIP indoors to this point.

Bmac1

Veteran
The plants, inside and out got the tea last night.

Here is the SourA5Haze on the deck. Thinking I should maybe trim up her lowers and make sure the middle has airflow. Is that as important outside? I would thi k so but this is only my second ever plant under the sun.

picture.php

picture.php

Jayded

All of of the grows I'd seen before this 1 using sip's have had a cover over the top of the soil which creates an anaerobic environment through lack of air in soil.That's what put me off trying them,of course without the cover those conditions wouldn't ever happen!
I've been a member here for over 12 yrs,was jaded1 before had a security scare and deleted account so not a newbie!

Bmac1

Veteran
All of of the grows I'd seen before this 1 using sip's have had a cover over the top of the soil which creates an anaerobic environment through lack of air in soil.That's what put me off trying them,of course without the cover those conditions wouldn't ever happen!
I've been a member here for over 12 yrs,was jaded1 before had a security scare and deleted account so not a newbie!

Both times now that I have run this SIP, I started out with a living much cover and then as that died back it along with the trim from the lower plant becomes a regular mulch. I can see why a cover would be used as keeping that top layer from going dry is a bit of a challenge and I do think it played a big factor in how the clover has died back over the past week.

I remember you from before as well. I believe I followed a grow of yours, I want to say Silver Mountain by Bodhi?

Jayded

Have ran a good few Bodhi strains but not that 1,i did quite a few grows in the connoisseur section and remember you posting a few times but no clue which 1's!

Bmac1

Veteran
Today is day 28 of 12/12 in the tent.

I had to put another trellis layer in as they had gotten too tall and if you can believe it....the citradelic sunset is even more floppy than the glue, lol.

picture.php

picture.php

Here is the original glue.

picture.php

picture.php

Bmac1

Veteran
1 more glue.

picture.php

Citradelic Sunset- has a very nice orange/mandarin funk to her. Not the best pics though.

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts