What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hashplants

FletchF.Fletch

420club
image.jpeg

Neville's listing from the 1989 catalog for The Seed Bank.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the description. Looks l like a full chunky head, but I don't see any trichomes. Would think it would be covered if its a hashplant. Flowers are covered I'm sure. :smoke: I bet its fantastic though.

I guess Deep Chunk was derived from seed found in a hash import. I wanted to share a couple shots of the plants. Got the 2 male pollinators picked out. I like them both but one is more ideal than the other. Both have lots of branching and have indica dominant traits.

Taller Deep Chunk champion male

full

full

full

Slightly shorter male, more ideal indica traits. Just enough sun here, so they have more stretchy growth.

full

the other male is in the background

full

full

StickyBandit

I've had this strain on the go from clone to clone for a few decades now and we've always called it Golfball.
It seems to have some similarities to hashplant and I have some regular Hash Plant seeds from Sensi coming in the post.
I might grow some out and see if it's the same taste and grow pattern in my room
Here's some current pics anyway of some clones and the parents in bud :)
Golfball.jpg

GBHedge.jpg

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
I've ended up with 2 females, I'll have to post pictures soon. They smell amazing. For me the narrow leaf one finished earlier and was more mold prone. Had a golden color with long sweet colas. The wider leaf one had frosty green golf ball nugs that smelled like fine hashish. It had good mold resistance for me, made it through some wet cool weather with hardly any loss. But those are the phenos I had, it'll be interesting if these traits hold for yours.
Hey revverend was wondering what latitude your at and when they finished for you?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is one branchy plant! Good vigor for being an IBL! Looks like the Deep Chunk afghan plants in my garden. Thanks for sharing!

Not one yellow leaf. What are you feeding? Looks like really good dark organic soil!

Radicle Rye

That is one branchy plant! Good vigor for being an IBL! Looks like the Deep Chunk afghan plants in my garden. Thanks for sharing!

Not one yellow leaf. What are you feeding? Looks like really good dark organic soil!

Here is the description from Strayfox:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Strayfox Gardenz - Hashplant 95​

Genetics: Hashplant 13 x I-95 F2
Seeds in pack: 10
Sex: Reg
Type (Indica, Sativa, Hybrid): Indica - Saty Hybrid
Flowering Time: 8-9 Weeks
Yield: Medium - Heavy
Area (Indoor, Outdoor, Both): Indoor

Notes: This has been a fun matchup to grow. If you're looking for strong smoke, you'll definitely find a pheno in here. Light feeder, strong branching, perfect for scrog training. Big, potent and beautiful crystal coated monster. Most pheno's come out musky fuel scented with hot baked garlic and kush, with not many hp traits. 95 is more dominant than ever in this freak. This line really gets you moving for a nightcap and deep space mind travel. Mold mildew resistant
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I have been feeding my plants once a week with organic fish/seaweed. I have top dressed with local compost, homemade worm castings, and dry amendments twice so far. I just keep it simple and organic!

Looking forward to your deep chunks as well! I have a pack of Hazemans monkey balls (deep chunk) that I want to run next year.

Happy hashplanting everyone!!!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is the description from Strayfox:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Strayfox Gardenz - Hashplant 95​

Genetics: Hashplant 13 x I-95 F2
Seeds in pack: 10
Sex: Reg
Type (Indica, Sativa, Hybrid): Indica - Saty Hybrid
Flowering Time: 8-9 Weeks
Yield: Medium - Heavy
Area (Indoor, Outdoor, Both): Indoor

Notes: This has been a fun matchup to grow. If you're looking for strong smoke, you'll definitely find a pheno in here. Light feeder, strong branching, perfect for scrog training. Big, potent and beautiful crystal coated monster. Most pheno's come out musky fuel scented with hot baked garlic and kush, with not many hp traits. 95 is more dominant than ever in this freak. This line really gets you moving for a nightcap and deep space mind travel. Mold mildew resistant
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I have been feeding my plants once a week with organic fish/seaweed. I have top dressed with local compost, homemade worm castings, and dry amendments twice so far. I just keep it simple and organic!

Looking forward to your deep chunks as well! I have a pack of Hazemans monkey balls (deep chunk) that I want to run next year.

Happy hashplanting everyone!!!

Thats great, its has responded well! I love organics, just be careful with the dry chicken manure compost. Is seaweed the same as kelp?

The plants that look like yours are somewhat hybrids, but one of the males is more deep chunk indica. Looking forward to the Monkey Balls/DC grow! Where did you get that line? I would like to get some pure DC to breed back in soon. Thanks for sharing! :smoke:

Radicle Rye

Thats great, its has responded well! I love organics, just be careful with the dry chicken manure compost. Is seaweed the same as kelp?

The plants that look like yours are somewhat hybrids, but one of the males is more deep chunk indica. Looking forward to the Monkey Balls/DC grow! Where did you get that line? I would like to get some pure DC to breed back in soon. Thanks for sharing! :smoke:
Seaweed is a generic term for marine based plants and algaes. Kelp is a subspecies within the seaweed family.

I got the monkey balls at DCSE from hazeman, but you can go direct. It would be cheaper!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah I guess I knew that. Thanks for the info. Just was curious about what type of product you used.

Does Real Guerilla Seeds or Seed Boutique have good DC? I think they had a Tom Hill Seeds last time I looked.

Radicle Rye

Yeah I guess I knew that. Thanks for the info. Just was curious about what type of product you used.

Does Real Guerilla Seeds or Seed Boutique have good DC? I think they had a Tom Hill Seeds last time I looked.
I just use organic Neptunes fish and seaweed. I am not sure if those banks offer DC. Tom Hill seeds would be the best source, obviously.

Reactions: GMT

therevverend

Veteran
Got a garden of Deep Chunk afghan hybrids I'm breeding back to pure DC afghan. Been working the line for 13 years. Check out my thread in the outdoor growing forum! :smoke:

Impressive how long you've stuck with this project, impressive work. I know you aren't in a particularly hot dry climate, if I remember right you're somewhere like Michigan, Wisconsin, or Canada. An area with much higher humidity then I'd expect Deep Chunk to thrive. It's not a forgiving strain, when I grew it I had botrytis cut through a stalk in June. Luckily for me it finished right before the rains started but I still had some mold losses. I've got half a pack of the original Tom Hill release stashed in the back of my fridge, next year I need to pop them.

The other thing that impresses me is how your plants aren't showing any sign of inbreeding. I'd suspect a strain that came from a limited gene pool like Deep Chunk would be susceptible. I'm guessing you grow enough plants and have enough males and females to keep it from becoming a problem. I rarely open pollinate; I don't like it in most situations because I'd rather keep track of individual plants at the small numbers we're all forced to grow at. The exception is an old time landrace strain like Deep Chunk that's in danger of losing it's genetic diversity. Observing the large Afghan hashplant fields the diversity is incredible. Even the farmers doing selective breeding are using 1 male per 10 or 20 plants in a field of hundreds if not thousands.

Hey revverend was wondering what latitude your at and when they finished for you?

I'm at 47 degrees N. The early mold susceptible one finished around September 30th. The later mold resistant one October 10th. I'll have to post updated pics of this year's 88g13hps. The one I stuck in the ground early is getting huge. Probably end up being the largest one I've grown. The 2nd one will probably be the smallest. I let it get too rootbound, it developed a root problem and has become stunted. It's snapping out of it, throwing vigorous new growth but it's tiny, around 3 feet. Still smells great so there's hope.

Here's an update on my Shahjoys. I ended up with 2 and they're following the pattern of bushy/tall upright I see all the time in hashplants. Probably in cannabis in general. My PHK x M10 are showing the same pattern. Here's a look at the bushy (and big).

View media item 18703229
And the tall. It's shorter then the bushy because I stuck it in the ground so late. I'm certain it would be quite a bit taller if it was planted out at the same time. Now that it's in the ground it's shooting upwards fast. Notice how the branches are showing the upright trait, keeping near to the stalk and growing straight up. Not getting long and curving out and away from the stalk like the big bushy.

View media item 18703230
View media item 18703225
If you look to the upper right in the 2nd pic you can see my pink pistil Balochistani. It hasn't shown sex yet.(edit: a few hours after posting this I made my daily hair check. It's a girl! And about time....) This late in the summer it's probably male but you never know. (To quote the great baseball pitcher Joaquin Andujar, 'My favorite word in English is youneverknow'!) It's very squat and has an interesting look. It's done quite well rootbound in its container for two months, makes me think the strain would do well indoors.

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the info. I have heard others talk about how its tough to grow with low yields, but DC hybrids do well. In 2009 the original cross for the line was 2 DC males open pollination of

1. (OG Kush x Jamaican Jam) x DC)x DC
2. (Bubba Kush x DC) x DC
3. (Bubba Kush x Bubblegum) x DC
4. Sour Bubble Bx3 x Sour Bubble bx 4 x DC .

The offspring was mixed up and so its always been that as the known gene pool. I like it that way I guess, I can call it my own now! :smoke:

Starting to get some minor inbreeding depression, but not any worse than its ever been. Those plants get weeded out. I'm ruthless when it comes to mutations. Those plants must go. If its one minor leaf morphology defect on one leaf and its a female I may let it slide, but a nice male sprouted a funny leaf on a fan and it was out. :smoke:

Have some new shots to sort through and post soon. Pack the pipe. :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome, she has stretched for sure, thats a huge plant! Hahplant 95 looks taller. Hashplant 95 is very indica dominant, lots of wide leaves and branchy. Did you do much training? Haven't started flowering yet, must be south of 40 N.

Radicle Rye

Awesome, she has stretched for sure, thats a huge plant! Hahplant 95 looks taller. Hashplant 95 is very indica dominant, lots of wide leaves and branchy. Did you do much training? Haven't started flowering yet, must be south of 40 N.
No training and I am at 42N. Hoping she is done stretching and starts stacking. It is suppose to be a 8-9 week flower time.

p59teitel

Here are a few pics from today (also recently posted extensively on the Baaba Qo Selections and The Real Seed Co. threads on the Landrace forum). The two Sholgar via Baaba Qo are well in the flowering lead and will hit selected branches with their brothers’ pollen soon; I would love for them to finish by mid-October -

2C9D3756-1773-49DB-8408-881B8D8CD163.jpeg

271C8949-C733-4937-B10D-34A1AF97C2D5.jpeg
5C2B6B57-6176-4EFC-B877-1A66A163A958.jpeg

Last edited: