What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ABout Windows 10 secuirty software:

Treevly

Wifey got W10. I see that it has a default security system built in, like Defender 10 they could have called it. Anyway, the security page has an item: "Program Security: Sign in with Microsoft for enhnaced secuity and other benefits."

OK, I'll bite: What are the "other benefits" if you sign up, and if you don't, don't, do you still get full protection? Is the MS security good enough, or is another AV program a good idea? We both have run MSE on Win 7 forever, so I expect that's the answer. Thanks for any wisdom.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Do what I did years ago and ditch Windows, go for Ubuntu, it's free and way more stable and secure, you don't need security software as there are no viruses that affect it.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Don't sign on to anything extra with Microsoft. LOL. I wouldn't
The "security" that comes with Windows, thou i don't have the 10, isn't that special when it comes to virus-programs, so i'd get a proper Anti-virus or Internet Security program (Norton, F-Secure etc.) to go along with it.

Also get a free "cleaner" program like Glary Utilities to clean the computer of malware, cookies, temp. files etc. every once in a while

H G Griffin

Don't sign on to anything extra with Microsoft. LOL. I wouldn't
The "security" that comes with Windows, thou i don't have the 10, isn't that special when it comes to virus-programs, so i'd get a proper Anti-virus or Internet Security program (Norton, F-Secure etc.) to go along with it.

Also get a free "cleaner" program like Glary Utilities to clean the computer of malware, cookies, temp. files etc. every once in a while

Generally, free utilities are as bad or worse than Windows for data-mining.

Can you speak with knowledge of the security and privacy policies for the products you recommended? Do you know who owns those companies or who they sell data to? If not, do you think you should be recommending them?

GoatCheese

Veteran
Generally, free utilities are as bad or worse than Windows for data-mining.

Can you speak with knowledge of the security and privacy policies for the products you recommended? Do you know who owns those companies or who they sell data to? If not, do you think you should be recommending them?

I'd rather have F-secure on my computer than a virus so bad i have to install the OS again. Been there done that.

Edit:
oh, you were talking about the free ones. Yea, at least Malware bytes went fukt some years ago.
Yea, don't use free software if it makes you too paranoid.Esp. if you're an American cause your gov. is filled with arseholes and you do nothing about them.

But just about every web-site sells your (meta)data to someone these days and are in with it with google even thou you don't use their browser ..ebay, news papers etc.

Prolly best to stop visiting canna-site altogether.

But good point.

davers

The owners of website do not need to forget about ssl certficate and other security soft like antivirus. I also choose one of the best ssl certificates here which is good when you have multiple domains. It helped me to protect data from hackers.

Last edited:

JKD

Veteran
Using a dns blocklist like OISD can stop Microsoft and others phoning home without breaking anything.

Last edited:

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
What I learned from this sign in experience:

One may believe there is a reason to not allow sharing of their personal information, conceal hiding et cetera. While this may be useful there is a perception as a user that my valuable time may be otherwise spent if I care less about privacy or covering my tracks. Think about a celebrity or artist, do you suppose it matters much to them whether they share shopping online information or whether a computer database like Google or Microsoft has their name saved somewhere? Probably not a big deal. Likewise if I stop concerning myself with whoever is looking at my login screen other than me, I can save time or worry or headache. You have to remember your PIN or password if you have it set up that way which seems to be default. The advantage to signing in or saving your information online is that you can pick up a different computer terminal or new cell phone device and use the same login or PIN. Then the new device will perform the same or remember everything from the previous machine you were using. So it doesn't matter about back up your data or it is lost in a power outage. With two factor authentication it is nearly 100% saved I think. Bit of a ramble but the takeaway is there are advantages for sharing instead of hiding shopping habits advertising etc.

T

Teddybrae

Microsoft lets you decide ... well gives you options ... for what it records of yr business in your Microsoft Account. Do you trust Big Business?

I use Firefox as my Browser and DuckDuckGo for my Search Engine. The latter does not 'mine' your data.

In terms of advantages as pointed to by ICMag Member art.spliff above: Google will show you more search options than DDGo does.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
my wife keeps going with Microsoft (i HATE it) and since she bought the 'puter, i aint arguing. you gotta pick your fights carefully, lol.:tiphat: too much in it you cannot change (knew that going in) but my biggest bitch is they do "upgrades" and you cannot opt out. every "improvement" they force on me shuts me down for hours & make my computer run slower. too much horseshit pushed as improvements...

wwoww

My recommendation is to get off windows 10. It's not safe at all, they relay everything to the NSA. Get on Linux its way better in every way

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
I just sold my old laptop with Ubuntu (Linux) on it and a Windows license sticker underneath so the new owner can install Windows if they want but they decided to stick with Ubuntu as it is safer.:good:

SenyVinter

It's great that you're taking the security of your wifey's Windows 10 seriously. The built-in security system, Defender, does offer solid protection against common threats.