What's new

Kit Winemaking Tutorial

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
Step 4: Bottling Day! Day ~ 35-49:

Ahh. Bottling Day! I have a love-hate relationship w/bottling day, and by the time you’re done reading this, I’m sure you’ll understand why. If the results of bottling day weren’t so darn good, I’d give up making my own wine. And that’s no lie! It’s a long, hot and tedious process. You will need about 4 hours of uninterrupted time to bottle your wine. You will need the area where you do your cleaning and sanitizing (the household kitchen sink in my case) all to yourself for at least 2 hours. Being interrupted while cleaning and sanitizing 30 bottles and all your equipment because someone is hungry is a real pain.

I say, “~ 35-49 days”, because every wine takes a different time to clear depending on the style of wine, and on the ambient temps. You’ll know when it’s time to bottle when you shine your flash light through your wine from the back side of the carboy, and see very little haze in the light beam, or when you can shine the light from front to back and can read/see things clearly. This 2nd method only works w/white or blush wines though. If you’re having trouble determining if your wine is clear enough to bottle, siphon some off into a clean, clear wine glass and hold it up to the light.

For the most part, you’re wine will be pretty clear in about 2-3 weeks. Weather your wine is clear or not, it’s best not to leave it sitting on the sediment for more than 30 days after you add the stabilizers in step 3. It can start to pick up bad flavors and odors from the dead yeast. So if you’re wine is not clear, you should at least rack it again into a clean, sanitized carboy.

A bottling wand is a handy piece of equipment, but not necessary. One end fits onto the end of your racking hose (if you have the proper size hose) that you suck on to create a siphon.

The other end has a little plunger on it.

When a siphon is established, and the plunger end is pushed down against the bottom of the wine bottle, wine flows out.

When it’s lifted off the bottom of the bottle, the pressure of the siphon pushes the plunger down, and the flow of wine stops. Fill the bottle to the top, lift the bottling wand out, and you have the perfect amount of wine in the bottle.

Let’s start, shall we? 30 (750ml) wine bottles.

Normally, I bottle in as many 1.5 Lt bottles as I can get my hands on. Half as many bottles to wash. You can buy bottles, but I have my family save me their empties. I ask that they try to rinse them out when empty, then I soak them for a day or so in a bucket w/some bleach and scrape off the labels. Any glue that is difficult to get off @ this point, will come off w/a green scrub pad and elbow grease when you’re washing them on bottling day. If that doesn’t work, I use some “Goo-Be-Gone”.

Dump about a ½ teaspoon of Oxi-Clean into each bottle (a bit more for the 1.5 Lt bottles). Put on a pair of rubber gloves. Get your bottle brush, and scrub and rinse all your bottles really well, inside and out, under scalding hot water. It’s nice to have a clean dishwasher nearby to let them drain.

Next, get your jug of pot-meta and a clean & sanitized funnel. Fill one wine bottle about a 1/3 full of pot-meta. Stick your finger in the mouth of the bottle and shake it up for 20 seconds or so. Put your funnel into the next bottle to be sanitized. Start to pour the pot-meta into the funnel. When the funnel is about half full of pot-meta, cover the hole in the funnel w/the mouth of the bottle you’re pouring from and just hold it there for 15-20 seconds or so to sanitize the mouth of this bottle.

Now let all the pot-meta drain into the second bottle, and rinse the first bottle out w/cold water w/out touching the mouth of the bottle. From this point on, you’ll do your best not to let anything touch the mouth of your bottles that isn’t also sanitized. Set this bottle at an angle in the dish rack, mouth up, and after a few minutes, let the excess water dribble out, and set it aside to be filled w/wine. 29 more to go LOL! Actually, sanitizing goes much faster than washing.
Now, clean and sanitize your racking wand and hose, and bottle filler if you have one.

Go rinse out your mouth again, grab a rubber band, your flashlight, a 6-12” length of 2X4 or a thick book…, and bring everything to your carboy of wine. Oh, don’t forget a glass or cup so you can sample as you bottle LOL. Now the fun begins!

Well, we have one more VERY IMPORTANT thing to do first. Go take the phone off the hook! You CAN NOT be interrupted for the next 45 minutes or so. You can not stop the flow of wine once you get it started. If you’re using a bottle filler and/or you have a clamp on your racking hose, you can slow the flow of wine down considerably, but if you stop it completely for too long, you’ll loose your siphon. We’re bottling wine right off the sediment (which you normally wouldn’t do when making wine from scratch, but this is what the kit instructions tell us to do). If you loose your siphon, wine will flow back down your racking wand and kick up all kinds of nasty sediments into your wine. If this happens, and your wine gets too cloudy, you might as well just rack the wine into a clean/sanitized carboy and try again another day. The end of your racking wand must stay submerged at all times. This is what the rubber band is for. It allows you to use both hands during most of the bottling process.
Make a double loop w/your rubber band, and wrap it around the neck of your carboy.

Insert your racking wand until the end is 3-4 inches above the sediment on the bottom of the carboy. Hold it steady while you slip one loop of the rubber band off the neck of the carboy, and it gets snagged around the racking wand.

Gently let the end of the racking wand settle up against the inside of the carboy. The rubber band will keep it from falling in much further. Try not to wiggle it around to much from this point forward.

Make sure everything you need is w/in easy reach. Get a siphon going, and start filling bottles.

How full? Well, if you have a bottle filler, you fill it right to the top. Generally you fill to just above where the neck of the bottle starts. If a bottle has a long neck, you fill it a bit more. You want about 1 inch of air below your cork. A bit more or less aint going to hurt anything.

You have to work quickly. Keep an eye on the level of wine in the carboy while filling and moving bottles around. I put the bottles on a towel as I’m filling them cause there’s always a bit of spilling. I always make sure the last 2 bottles I fill are 1.5Lt. Once the carboy gets that low, the siphon will slow down some and the 1.5’s give you a bit more time to work with.

Keeping the end of the racking wand in the wine at all times, gently move it around to the side of the carboy facing you. Grip it and the neck of the carboy with your non-dominant hand as shown in the pick below w/your thumb fully extended.

Gently tilt the carboy towards you. A steady hand helps as well as a short length of 2X4 to slip under the back end of the carboy to hold it there steady. Don’t let go! As the wine gets lower in the carboy, slowly lower the racking wand closer and closer to the sediments w/your thumb as shown.

When you start sucking up sediment, stop. If you do not have a clamp on your racking hose or a bottling wand, what you can do is stick the end of your hose into the mouth of your next empty bottle, and hold it up so that the end of the hose is just below the level of wine left in the carboy. This will considerably slow down, but not stop the flow of wine. Before I got my bottling wand I just pinched the end of the hose off against the top of the bottle and let some wine dribble into the bottle every few seconds to keep a siphon going. As long as no air gets into your racking wand as you’re moving it around, you’ll be fine. Your last bottle more than likely isn’t going to be completely full, and is going to be a tiny bit cloudy. That’s ok. Put a tasting cork in it (or use the plastic wrap trick from step 3) and stick it in the fridge for a few days before gently decanting and enjoying it.
Corking: It goes w/out saying that you’ll need corks before you start to bottle. Don’t use used corks. Get new ones from the beer and wine equipment store. If you’re making one of these drink it as soon as you bottle it kit wines, and if you don’t want to invest in a corker, you can get away w/using tasting corks. Just swish them in a little sanitizer and push them in. If you make a wine that you plan to age any more than a year or so, you’ll need to have a corker to insert the corks into the bottles. There are many styles on the market. Ask around. Try a few out if possible. Store your corks in a clean zip lock baggie, swish them in a bit of pot-meta, and insert.

After carboys, my biggest investment in equipment was a quality floor corker, and it’s definitely worth every penny I spent on it. Position the bottle correctly,

drop in a cork,

pull the handle, and the cork slides in slicker than snot. LOL

In addition to tasting corks, you can also use screw top caps. You’ll of course need screw top bottles to go w/them. I have no idea how long you can store wine w/screw top caps though.

Store your bottles up right for a week or so. Then they should be laid on their sides so the corks stay wet, and stored somewhere cool, and dark that gets very little vibrations from doors, stairs, washers, refrigerators… Except for this drink it as soon as it’s bottled style of wine, ALL wines should be left to age for a minimum of 6 months. White and blush wines will mature in 1-3 years depending on how dry they are. Red wines, I don’t even taste for 2-3 years, some longer. It’s a waste of good wine to do other wise. I’m sure you’re thinking, “That’s a long time”! I started w/2 carboys, and always try to keep them full. Every 3rd or 4th kit I make is a pricier one that I intend to let age. Over the course of time I’ve built up a nice little wine cellar. Nearly 200 bottles! This includes wines I’ve made from scratch as well. Remember, the equipment will quickly pay for itself in what you’ll be saving by not buying commercial beer/wine. I enjoy making wine from scratch, even though a lot of it doesn’t turn out all that good, but I can only think of one kit wine that I’ve been disappointed with in nearly 5 years of making wine this way.

Making wine from scratch is a bit more labor intensive, but even cheaper than making kit wines. If anyone is interested, here’s a link to a home winemaking web site that expounds on what you’ve read here. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

On this site you will find dozens of recipes for fruit, vegetable, herb and flower wines. One of my favorites, and one of the cheapest wines I’ve ever made w/store bought ingredients is Welches frozen grape juice wine. I’m not a huge fan of Concord grape wine, but niagra (white) grapes make a nice, mildly fruity wine that keeps well for 3-4 years. When it’s on sale, you can make a gallon of pretty good wine for well under 4 bucks LOL.

One of the biggest deterrents in home wine making is the time it takes for your wine to age. It’s hard to not want to taste what you’ve made every few months to see how it’s coming along. The only thing I’ve found that helps is to keep making wine and lots of it LOL! If this, “drink it as soon as you bottle it” style of wine is to your liking you’ll get a lot quicker return on your investment. But either way, if your carboy is always full, eventually you’ll have plenty of wine to enjoy w/enough left over to age for an appropriate amount of time.

Tolpan

Great work vintner!

Hope one day to drink a bottle with ya!
One of yours and one of mine :muahaha: !

I fill all my bottles the same way, I just don't filtrate any wine!
I just use a teafilter, that's it, but I like malolactic fermentation and you don't! And sure for your style that's absolutely right.

Tuesday I will be in the holy area of winemaking, the best in the world!

Bourgogne

Tolpan

vintner

Veteran
Thanks Tolpan: It would be my pleasure to get together and share some wine w/you. I don't filter my wines either. IMHO, the only reason to do so is if you're going to be selling it, or maybe entering it into a contest. Filters aint cheap either. I do use the clarifiers that come w/these kit wines, but not w/my own homemade wines. I haven't gotten into making too many heavy red wines that would benifit from MLF, but I do enjoy those kinds of wines.

So, this concludes my wine making tutorial. These basic techniques can be used to make any kind of wine or mead. As I stated early on, this is not the only way to make wine. Just the way I learned. I hope I mainly emphisized the importance of cleanliness more than anything else.
I was hoping to get more activity here since I started it at the encouragement of others. Oh well.

D

Don Cotyle

Excellent Vintner!!! PROPS on a great thread!!! Hopfully more folks will get into makeing their own wine after seeing your thread!!!

Now what's it gonna take to get your recipe on the welches white grape??? My Lady says it sounds delicious!!! ;)

Rep sent!

Last edited:

vintner

Veteran
Don Cotyle said:
Excellent Vintner!!! PROPS on a great thread!!! Hopfully more folks will get into makeing their own wine after seeing your thread!!!

Now what's it gonna take to get your recipe on the welches white grape??? My Lady says it sounds delicious!!! ;)

Rep sent!
Thanks so much Don! And, thanks for your support along the way :jump: Another thing that I hope I imparted along the way is how inexpensive it is to make your own wine. These kit wines are a nice fool proff way to make some quality wines at a fraction of the cost of commercial wines. But there are much cheaper ways to make wine at home. Especially if you grow or pick your own ingreedients. The kits also alow you to make wine more frequently on a smaller scale for those of us that don't have the room or equipment to devote to large scale wine making. I dream of being able to make wine like Tolpan some day though. :smoke:
Here's a link to that Welches white grape wine recipe.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques65.asp
It can be made w/both concord (red) or niagra (white) grape juice. Make sure you get the 100% consentrate, not "cocktail". The only thing I do differently is to substitute 1/4 pound of golden raisins for the 1/4 pound of sugar.
The wine is great by itself, but you got to let it age for at least a year. I've kept a bottle of it up to 4 years so far, but I think it could keep much longer. :friends: The thing I like about it though is that you can throw just about anything else in w/it too. I've made it w/a few pounds of strawberries/gallon, or raspberries, peaches are good, pears. It also makes a nice base recipe for any herb, flower, or tea wine. Depending on the wine I also substitue the zest and juice of a lemon for "acid blend", but I don't mind using acid blend. It's a granulated blend of 4-5 acids including citric acid. I've also made individual gallon batches w/brown sugar, and honey, but I like just plain old white sugar myself. Hope you like it. This winter I'm going to play around some w/the ideas you've given me for resweetening.

Last edited:
D

Don Cotyle

Thanks Vin!!! I'm gonna go look it up right now! Don

Well I'm still haveing trouble with my Tropical rasin jack settleing!!! Been a long long time now, looks like I'm gonna have to beat an egg white in about a cup of the unsettled wine and pour it into the batch to get it to settle out! Don't like glycerin for settleing so I'll try this old tested and true method!!!

vintner

Veteran
Don: I've heard of this egg method you mentioned, but not much. I try to add things to the primary that help the wine to clear. I add a 1/2 tsp of bentonite to every gallon of must, and pectic enzyme if I'm using fruit w/pectin in it. I've used commercial clarifiers on occation, but like you, I try to stay away from them and just let time do it's thing. I think they strip a lot out of the wine, and leave behind weird flavors. If I remember correctly, you added corn (meal, mash?) to your primary. Your wine might have starch that's taking it's time to settle out. That Jack Keller site that the recipe came from has a trouble shooting section for cloudy wines. As many awards as his wines have won, I figure his advice is pretty sound.

I have a question for you and Tolpan seeing as you both probably have more experience than me. Now that you've both see my bottling procedure, can you give me any pointers as to how I could cut down on the time it takes to wash so many bottles? Honestly, I don't mind racking, and all the prep work to get a batch of wine started, but I'd make a lot more wine if it didn't take so long to bottle just 30 bottles of wine.

D

Don Cotyle

Hi Vin! I put mine in the dishwasher and use bleach water. 1 tablespoon per gallon, then just put a couple oz's into each bottle and swish around...clean and sanitized. It would be nice to have a large enough autoclave to use but it would cost a fortune to buy one! I've never had any problems with that method! I just use the $6.95 Ferrarie palm corker and soak my corks 24 hours in water with a campdon tablet! For bottleing I use your method of holding the syphon with a rubberband but use a hemostat to clamp the hose between bottles, fill, cork, done! Hope ya can find something ya can use! Don

vintner

Veteran
I've run test on putting my bottles through my dish washer. Although, the water in there gets pleanty hot, I don't trust it to do a very good job of rincing the bottles out. I know cholrine does just as good a job @ killing germs, and it's cheeper, but the pot meta is healthier, and it adds a bit of sulfa to the wine which preserves it. I don't even like that I rince all my equipment w/chlorinated municipal water. Chlorinated water is the second leading cause of arteriosclerosis! Did you know that? Bested only by canola oil! I'll stay off that soap box though. Sorry LOL.

Tolpan

Hey Vintner and Don Cotyle! Hope your doing well, I'm very busy at the mo, bottling wine, clearing everything to run my own company.

What about buying new bottles?
I pay for 1000 bottles about 120$! And thats not the cheapest bottle at all. I think about 70-80 $ should be possible, for 1000 bottles!?
But where I live there's a lot of winemaking, so lots of distributors and always some bottles left, that you can get cheap! We also have a big bottleclean-company near my hometown, that's collecting bottles, washes them with different chemical stuff and sell them very cheap!
If you bring used bottles they wash a bottle for 4 Cents/bottle.

My bottles cost about 2,5 $/bottle for 0,75l. She weights about 1 Kg!

Hey I've 200 hundred bottles left, you can have them for free, you just have to come here.

Left bottle is the cheap one I only use for tastings and on the right the expensive one I sell!

Greets Tolpan

vintner

Veteran
Hey Tolpan: A bottle cleaning service. Now that's what I need! LOL. Hell, mostly I'm just lazy LOL. I just hate washing bottles!
The wine looks good. I hope everything goes smoothly for ya as you're starting up your own business.
Well, I'm off to rack some wine.

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
applewine.jpeg

fresh applewine

100percent apple juice, 3lbs honey. cinnamon, clove, raisons 2lb brownsugar in the 2nd fermentation.

came out slightly tart, with some residual sweetness and apple notes, very nice stuff everyone absolutly loved it so far. its still even got a very tiny sparkle to it. ive already given most of it away. and have a few bottles left for myself. i bottled a 3l bottle of it. and stored it away to be opened 1 year from now.

up this week is racking the orange mead. which came out very nice, little tart due to the orange rind.. needs to mellow a bit.

also the raspberry and blueberry applewines are ready to rack and bottle as well. ill probly mix the 2 gallons together and add the rest of this bottle of raspberry frambois for a little added sweetness.

and just started about 20 days ago another holidaycherry apple spiced wine, fresh pressed cider, 1gal of cherry cider and half gal of pure 100percent cherry juice, cinnamon allspice and clove. smells heavenly. that will be done around xmas time.. so that will be a treat.

vin and don thanks for the help and encouragment gettin me started.. i think i found a hobby almost as rewarding as growing that other thing... you know what im talking about.

ENdo!

vintner

Veteran
Endo: Sorry I missed your post. Been busy round here w/the holiday and all. Don's not around any more sad to say.
Sounds like you're starting to have fun w/this. Glad to hear it! :rasta: And glad to help. Be sure to put some wine aside to age. They only get better and better. Maybe someday, a few of us can get together to trade wine. Among other things LOL.
On this end, I've got a couple of carboys full. Trying to find the time to fill more. Got more of this white zin I made for this thread and a peach-appricot clearing. Got a cab sav I want to get started soon. One that will get bottled and not touched for at least 2 years. Then I've got some ideas up my sleeve.

vintner

Veteran
Bringing in the NewYear right!

Bringing in the NewYear right!

Had to bottle another batch of the Exotic Fruit Zin to help celebrate the NewYear!

Also have a batch of peach/appricot clearing. It's another kit, but I added 3 pounds of light brown sugar to it. That should be ready to bottle in a week or 2. Started a second batch of that today that I added 3 pounds of white sugar to. Got a Cab Sav kit that I plan to start some time in the next week or so. Then I plan to run a few batches of the welches frozen grape juice wine that I posted the recipe for. Got 5 carboys. Plan to keep 4 of them full over the winter. Can you tell I'm running low on wine LOL.
Sticky Scissors :wave: Looking forward to it Bro.

Last edited:
Hi Vin, The site has become a nightmare for me! I can't post a new PM, post a reply, post pix after 4 days of help and multiple attempts with the help of Skip the WEB-MASTER!!! I keep getting an error message: Page cann't be displayed, etc.etc., can't edit posts, can't reply to PMs, I also get another error message: You don't have access to this area...Send PM, I log out then in as per Skip, same same!!! You know me I really want the new site to work, for me and everyone else! I reset my Message interface tp Enhanced Interface!!! I've even went so far as to download the latest version of FireFox as per WebMasters suggestion to no avale!!! I feel lost, my Grow Diary is slowly dieing, PMs to my BROTHER just arn't happening-working. I'm still open for suggestions but to this point nothing seems to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I FEEL LOST IN A FIELD OF FRIENDS WITH ALMOST NO RECOURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I FEEL LIKE THE LAST RAT LEAVEING THE SHIP!!

vintner

Veteran
Hey Sticky: Know that you're not alone. I fee your pain as well. My PC surfs the rest of the web per norm, but this site runs REALLY slowy. I was able to up-load a couple of pix, but I can't post them up in this thread. I've heard the Fox fire advice too, but our small lap top already has a fire wall program, and I'm relictant to down load another one on it.
On a lighter note, I bottled the first of the peach-apricot kits. Added 3 pounds of light brown sugar to it to bump up the ABV a bit. WOOEEDOGIES is it good! I'll be sure to put a bottle up for ya.

vintner

Veteran
Here's the peach-apricot pix
picture.php

picture.php

It worked! :woohoo:

Last edited: