What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diatomaceous Earth - The Best Pesticide You've Never Heard Of

inflorescence

Veteran
The type of hazard posed by inhalation depends on the form of the silica. Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Amorphous silica can cause dusty lungs, but does not carry the same degree of risk as crystalline silica. Food-grade diatomite generally contains very low percentages of crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with heat, causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form.

That doesn't say NOT dangerous, it says LESS dangerous.
Sharp glass vs not as sharp a glass. Still scary IMO.
Kinda like perlite dust. Not that bad but why risk it?

rinsing buds just accumulates the DE into the crevices (fine if you don't smoke the crevices (lol) EXCEPT for that one lone fat calyx at the base of the stem [you know what inflorescence is talkin' about :)].
Also what about cutting micro tears into the waxy coating of the leaf.
Might force the plant to go into protective mode. Some say this stress brings about better buds but others think it takes away from the full potential of the plant.

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
In the amounts we're talking about I doubt you'd see any negative effects, but in all honesty, I doubt I'd drop a load on there a week before harvest.

I used it last night on my girls, and I'm not feeling anxiety about smoking the one that'll be harvested in about 30 days.

But like I said, despite all the research I've done that said there's no negative health effects, I won't be dropping any on there within the last week or two of flowering :biglaugh:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be careful... outdoor growers.... this stuff is hell for earthworms and will cause them to not go through your media! Earthworms as well as numerous other soil and surface arthropods which are beneficial will be affected to the same extent the pest species are.... Keep this in mind, this is a non-selective insecticide! :chin:

Lower the predators population a lot early in the year with dichotomous earth or other insecticides can promote outbreaks of pest species later in the year because their population is able to grow less without as much pressure from predation....

Great for indoors though! :yes: I would NOT put silica directly on flowers.,... Isn't that the UK gangsters job? :D

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Veteran
Oh, nice catch pipeline! I didn't even think about outdoors and the beneficial insects you may need or want outdoors. And of course your right about wiping out predators - if you were going to do it outdoors, you'd have to do it consistently.

I still think it'd be fine on the flower, but then I normally give them a dunk as they come down any way. :D

G

Chiming in a little late on this... Thank you for the info, NT. I have a couple of questions:

Do you apply DE using a plant duster?
Is DE effective against spider mites?
Is it necessary to cover both sides of the leaves?

I called the local hydro shop, and they carry DE, but when I asked if they carried dusters or something else to apply it, she told me that DE should only be applied on the ground, and never on the plant. Confused, I did some more internet research, which supports everything you've written... Maybe my hydro shop was misinformed, or maybe I'm not understanding something.

It sounds like DE could be the answer to my mite problems, which have caused me untold heartache and grief... Any help or clarification you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
MDLM

NiteTiger

Veteran
It may be that they're selling industrial grade DE instead of food grade.

DE would be effective against spider mites, but if you're in later flower, I would be hesitant to use it, because that would require a heavier, deeper application that would be really tough to get off the buds.

I don't worry about doing both sides of the leaf, you'd never get the DE to stick to the underside. Besides, most pests aren't going to stay just on the underside.

As far as application, I use the fast food style ketchup and mustard type bottles. You can get 'em at Wally World or craft stores.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
D.E

D.E

I read a weed world article on this,they were pitching it as a grow medium, using bigger chunks of it.According to them, the diff. between the horticulture grade and the pool filter grade is the pool filter grade is mind from what were salt water diatoms, and the plant stuff(from Australia, I think) is from freshwater diatoms.Might make a difference???

P.S I would try NOT TO BREATH it.

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Veteran
No, I wouldn't try to breathe it either. If you should happen to though, it's nice to know it won't kill ya :D

G

NiteTiger said:
It may be that they're selling industrial grade DE instead of food grade.

DE would be effective against spider mites, but if you're in later flower, I would be hesitant to use it, because that would require a heavier, deeper application that would be really tough to get off the buds.

I don't worry about doing both sides of the leaf, you'd never get the DE to stick to the underside. Besides, most pests aren't going to stay just on the underside.

As far as application, I use the fast food style ketchup and mustard type bottles. You can get 'em at Wally World or craft stores.

Much appreciated... Thank you.

MDLM

M

mallyone

There's also freshwater diatomite for a medium in hydro. It basically looks like rocks and has a lot of dust in the bag :)... It soaks up a few times is weight in liquid and is lighter in color than coco or hydroton so you get a bit of light reflected back (might be a bit too hopeful on that fact). I havent' tried the hydroton, but I love the freshwater diatomite, will be using it for my next grow :).

m1...

Dank-j

DE rocks. I had problems with fungus gnats and this stuff killed eradicated them. I would water, wait until the top wasn't totally wet, then apply the DE very lightly to the top covering all the soil.

I would turn my fans off while i did this so it wasn't blowing everywhere while I did it. My fans only don't really blow on the underside of my canopy so it usually didn't blow around when I turned the fans back on.

Watering always seemed to make it gummy and dissolve and not as effective.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DE harms beneficials. if you have beneficial insects in your garden dont use DE unless you REALLY NEED TO. it works well if you get the agricultural grade and is completely healthy for people and animals (works wonders on fleas rub your dog with some it wont hurt them if its agricultural grade). its actually given to animals as a food suppliment to keep them healthy. pool grade would hurt them.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we had (hopefully past tense) spider mites... hard to get rid of those ****ers... we bombed the room, been spraying the plants in veg with safer's, and plain water... we put de on the floor under the buckets, and coated the sides of the waterfarms with de... so far... so good... :joint: :joint:

H

Habibi

i dont think it effects earthworms, thats what it says in jorge cervantes book anyway

whats the deal with DE and praying mantid anyone know? i like lots of them in my garden and wouldnt want to kill any, they seem to be the most helpful predators

DigiTM

I know I'm late in getting in on this topic but I want to warn. While DE is a great pesticide to use, just because it is natural does not mean it is completely safe for you.

I worked in a pool store for a good few years of my life and can tell you personally about the health warnings involved. The particles of DE can become very irritating if left on the skin. So be sure to always wash your hands after you handle it. Longterm skin exposure can result in rashes and very very small cuts and minor bleeding if irritated.

Also, never ever pour out a large amount and inhale if a dust cloud forms. The particles can be very dangerous to your lungs if you get large quantities in there.

Of course, don't eat during or immediately after handling DE. Again, goes with the first warning to wash your hands thoroughly.

I know these may sound stupid, but I've seen actual medical documentation of this stuff (had to watch videos of it for work safety reasons).

Other then that. It is a great pesticide and a great filtering agent (for pools). A bit messy, but can kill snails, other pests, and stuff fast and effectively.

NiteTiger

Veteran
Glad ya tagged in bro!

We had a good discussion about the dangers and the differences between industrial (pool) and food grade DE back a bit.

Can't reinforce the difference between the two enough though! :yes:

G

DigiTM said:
I know these may sound stupid, but I've seen actual medical documentation of this stuff (had to watch videos of it for work safety reasons).

im not saying you should, but im wondering...

ive read on some health food sites that eating DE kills parasites in your body and is not harmful at all.

is there a food grade DE? or are they trying to make people eat minature razor blades?