What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a PVC dripper manifold

pico

Veteran
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It keeps particles from going in to the manifold and clogging your 1/4" lines. The drip isn't identical. Although the drip seems to depend more on the height of the drip line as opposed to where in the manifold it is located. The point of the circle manifold is to get even pressure. If it was just a straight tube with a cap on the end it would have more uneven pressure i hear.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
flavoraid said:
okay but say it wasn't there.

what would happen?

like exactly what does it do, sift particles for smooth flow, remove partiles ect

also.. is each drip truely identical in flow? because in my head you would have the most flow early in the loop and then the amount of water per each would decrease gradually.

I use open lines with my dripper manifold (no drippers) and no clogs at all. Steady flow into the netpots. Instead of an inline filter I use a filter bag on the water pump but that's not even necessary. I use the bag to keep roots that grow into the res from getting sucked up, not to keep lines from clogging.

flavoraid

pico said:
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It keeps particles from going in to the manifold and clogging your 1/4" lines. The drip isn't identical. Although the drip seems to depend more on the height of the drip line as opposed to where in the manifold it is located. The point of the circle manifold is to get even pressure. If it was just a straight tube with a cap on the end it would have more uneven pressure i hear.

if i buy those 1/2gph drip nozzles ill have equal flow all the way around my loop though, correct?

clowntown

Veteran
pico, where did you get these 1/4" tophat grommets? I visited a few shops today, and the one that carried them (had only 20 in stock) wanted $1 per grommet. I need $128, and I'm sure as hell not about to pay $128 for 'em.

Google didn't turn up too many useful links. :badday:

pico

Veteran
I got my grommets from my local hydro store. I don't remember the exact price, but there sure as hell were not a buck a pop. Not even close.

clowntown

Veteran
$0.70 is still robbery. I mean, I know hydro stores like to mark stuff up a lot (since they know what you're doing with it, and most customers will pay any price)... but gimme a break! I'm sure a bag of 100 of these are no more than $2. :badday:

Looks like I'll be using the flexible hose and using the hole punch for the 1/4" straight barbs, or drilling holes in PVC followed by sealing with epoxy or similar...

clowntown

Veteran
I went with 1/2" PVC & fittings instead. Made a square using 90 degree elbows, and a tee on one side for the inlet. Drilled holes using 1/8" bit, and tapped the holes with a 8-32NC tap. To thread the barbs, I first cut off the first barb on one side (to shorten it), then sanded off the 2nd barb on that side to create a straight (instead of tapered barb) wall. Used a sharp blade to deburr, threaded the sanded side using a 8-32NC die. Wrapped the threads with Teflon thread tape, and screwed into the PVC using needle-nose pliers for a tight fit.

Used the Red Hot Blue Glue (illustrated in your trellis thread) to seal all joints, and I can't get it apart now. :yes:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
clowntown said:
I went with 1/2" PVC & fittings instead. Made a square using 90 degree elbows, and a tee on one side for the inlet. Drilled holes using 1/8" bit, and tapped the holes with a 8-32NC tap. To thread the barbs, I first cut off the first barb on one side (to shorten it), then sanded off the 2nd barb on that side to create a straight (instead of tapered barb) wall. Used a sharp blade to deburr, threaded the sanded side using a 8-32NC die. Wrapped the threads with Teflon thread tape, and screwed into the PVC using needle-nose pliers for a tight fit.

Used the Red Hot Blue Glue (illustrated in your trellis thread) to seal all joints, and I can't get it apart now. :yes:

Ooops. If there was one thing I learned from building my manifold it was DO NOT secure the pipes with glue, cement, or anything else that's basically permanent. I cemented one joint then realized that probably wasnt a good idea. I was right and now I wish I hadn't cemented it. No leaks even without cement anyway. Unless you're real lucky and build it perfectly in every way for your setup (and assuming you never change your setup at all), you'll likely need to make adjustments.

clowntown

Veteran
I considered that, and I still leaned slightly towards using cement "just to make it right". Overall I think the fact that it's so inexpensive and easy to make a new one tipped the scale, but I definitely see your point/view. I did thread some 1/4" plugs as well, so that I can have a reduced number of outlets w/o being too cumbersome, but that's as flexible as my setup is right now.

Perhaps on the next manifold I will reconsider. Good feedback. :yes:

~fvk~

the Lion is going Guerrilla...
clowntown said:

Shit, I'd probably do what you did but to tell you the truth I don't even know what it is that you did, ha... I think it'd be pretty cool to see some pics. I at least think I get the gist of what you're saying...

But yeah I'm thinking of going with grommets... You're right about hydro stores charging your arms and your legs for them... You can get 1/4" ID double lipped and tophat grommets for 2-5 dollars in 50-100 piece quantities from non-hydro related suppliers...

Can anybody tell me if it makes or if they think it would make a difference if you used double lipped grommets instead of the tophat ones?

Peace.

clowntown

Veteran
A tap & die is a set of tools that can be used to create threads (you know, like bolts & nuts, or screws & threaded screw holes) from plain old drilled holes.

I'm guessing that the double-lipped grommets might be inferior in this application, unless you get one with a gap that suits the thickness of the PVC. Even a 1/2" PVC is quite thick relative to the small gap that's found on most grommets I've seen, especially in the 1/4" size.

~fvk~

the Lion is going Guerrilla...
yeah this thread is awesome and drippers kick ass...

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
Time for a clearer illustration of what I mean by threading the barbs, PVC, etc:

Above: A group of threaded 1/4" fittings, and one "unprocessed" piece for comparison. The ones with the white Teflon tape are obviously finished and ready to screw in. Next to the untouched one, you'll see the modified straight barb -- one with Teflon tape, one without showing the cut threads.

I cut one side of the barbs down to length, filed away the remaining barb, and cut threads into them using a die.

Above: PVC with threaded hole made using a drill bit and tap.

Above: Installed and ready to use, completely leak-free.

royalgreen

hey pico and any one else who is reading this thread, and adding there idea's...

anyways i was hoping that some one could tell me the proper gph for a 75site. with a vertical of 7ft head.this is a stadium grow(thank you northern farmer for the idea).4 levels each level with little over 15 site. i have had ppl tell me that i could do this with 400gph. but after reading this thread im not so sure...don't wonna spend money on somthing when im just going to take it back...another thing is that im not sure how im going to run the pvc yet so i that have equal psi all around....any help would be great

Oscuridad

royal it would seem like determining gph would be easiest if you knew the actual dimensions of your planned manifold.

I had been planning on hand-watering coco in an upcoming experiment but I think this thread changed my mind.

Latest posts

Latest posts