What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NYCD

positivity

Veteran
I was having a hard time deciding what would be the last seed line to work with along sour d and cinderella.
Contemplated sour d ibl x wallys cindy. But really, I can recreate the same thing with the same seed line with what I have going now. I really do want to try that combo one day

If I do my nycd from annac originally I'll have a nice trio of older genetics preserved for the future.

AnnaC NYCD was a f2 of Somas original NYCD. I believe they tried to focus on the grapefruit types. I never knew the breeder personally but I was touched by the story of a humble medical patient. I wanted Somas nycd but I couldn't afford it, so I was happy to find an affordable option.

My grow of it a long time ago gave me a large variety of types. Everything from peppery, dill, and of course the grapefruit. Few others I can't exactly recall. Probably one of the most interesting variations I've seen.

The one grapefruit cultivar I found was really nice. Sharp grapefruit, really sticky for its time, and the only Indica in the mix. Lots of sativa looking plants in this line

This grow will be with those seeds and will be on the smallest scale. 2-3 seeds at a time.

picture.php

positivity

Veteran
All the seeds I'm growing early this year are from the same time period long ago.

There are nine seeds. The strongest 3 will be kept. If I even get that.... If not I try again. Should of said plants I suppose.
Expect lots of editing mistakes. Especially when posting from a phone...lol

jayd

i love the taste of the red grapefruit pheno nycd. not seen it for a while even in amsterdam. seems to be the more mandarin pheno everywhere now. ive heard a lot of phenos of nycd are high in cbd which would explain why most the nycd ive tried doesnt get me too wrecked which in a way isnt a bad thing as i prefer flavour over power

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
It should really be called Mexican x affie not NYCD as Soma's "nycd" has nothing to do with diesel.

It might be a good strain, just not diesel, but it is capitalizing on the name only.

Hope you find what you are looking for regardless!

positivity

Veteran
I've always wondered why it was called diesel when the preferred type was grapefruit.
What I did like was that a breeder found a variety they liked and spent time with it because he enjoyed it
I think that shows when you grow the strain and something comes out of it that you were expecting
A lot of the variety names nowadays are a stretch though really? Capitalizing deserts...candies...drinks...
I guess it goes back to an original question of is there a more original NYCD? Or is this really the only one ever provided for people to grow and the real one was never shared?
Either way there are very few pure strains available and the authenticity is always at question so I like preserving things that worked out the way they were intended.
These seeds would be nonviable in a few more years I'm sure...

positivity

Veteran
i love the taste of the red grapefruit pheno nycd. not seen it for a while even in amsterdam. seems to be the more mandarin pheno everywhere now. ive heard a lot of phenos of nycd are high in cbd which would explain why most the nycd ive tried doesnt get me too wrecked which in a way isnt a bad thing as i prefer flavour over power

Thank you for the extra background. I wasn't aware of mandarin types or cbd levels

positivity

Veteran
yep, hoping for the sharp grapefruit...

Seeds turned out pretty viable, just slow out the gate.

Took a quick look and there's still plenty of nycd available from soma. Nice to see he's still offering up the classics

picture.php

positivity

Veteran
Added a heat mat to the tray and things germinated nice and vigorously. Thats at least 15 years old right there

Trying all these techniques from none to some helps figure how to get these old seeds to germinate

Excuse any confrontations in other threads. There is a very real attack on peaceful marijuana users unfortunately

When you leave they attack you. When you stay they attack you
So I guess I'll just stay.

Welcome to corporate pot. All you are is money. And they really really want you to buy their LEDs

fuckem

Last edited:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I’m still growing a ruby red grapefruit NYCD from soma. Had her since 2003. Might do some s1s again soon

Is that what you made that Russian Diesel cross with back yrs ago???? I've got a few pics in my albums of them. That RD taste like strawberry faygo creme soda, probably the best tasting strain I've ever tasted in 30+yrs of smoking

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
That NYCD wasn't much for yield, and I'd flower them almost 90 days....yes 90 days. That's after a good mounth of veg. It's a nice strain.....in my opinion it needs something to up the yield and potency. The cross that Cron made called Russian Diesel that's was gifted as freebies at Seedbay was ALOT better that the Original Soma NYCD. I've got pics in my albums of Russian Diesel. It's a small yielder of absolutely strawberry creme soda tasting weed with a kick. I think Cron used AK47 with his NYCD to make those seeds. He needs to make us some more old friend lol.....But really wish he would!!!!

positivity

Veteran
The big fluffy tops remind me of the sativa looking leaners.
I seperated the seeds from those and the more indica grapefruit one.
There was some wild variation in the seeds. Annac F2's...hopefully less variation this time.