What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Caribbean genetics / St. Vincent, Grenada, Tobago, Jamaica

Hello to all my fellow growers!

I want to greet all my fellow growers and introduce you to one of my current projects. A lesser man might have spent his last winter in the Caribbean with enjoying the beautiful beaches, snorkelling at the colourful reefs or liming in general (that's what they call "hanging out" over there). Well, not me, of course. Dutifully I climbed volcanoes and fought my way through the bush day after day in my quest for the best genetics of the islands.

Here are some impressions of St. Vincent, where they cultivate in vast plantations on the inaccessible volcanic slopes in the north of the island:

picture.php
picture.php

A little bit of background info: No big surprise, cannabis is deeply implemented in the laid-back local culture of the Caribbean. The biggest producers and exporters in the region are St. Vincent, Jamaica and South America, but all the smaller islands have some local production as well. Since there is a lot of smuggling going on, you can find quite a wide range of qualities on the islands. The local varieties lean very much to the sativa side and have a pleasant, not too strong up-high, but are often not grown very expertly and full of seeds. Higher grade weed is often sold under the trade name "kush", is more indica- like and often imported. The local growers are of course well aware of what is going on in the growing world and the times where you could have found local landraces that have been inbred for decades have long passed. These days, the growers experiment with the modern US- American strains and cross them with their local genetics and South American strains for a better adaption to the humid, tropical climate. Which results in a very interesting mix for me to play with ;)

My Caribbean seed collection, sourced on 7 different islands:

picture.php

I germinated a good 100 seeds of the most promising genetics:

- seeds from the experienced professional growers of St. Vincent

- a cross of a beautiful plant with pink pistils and a fast "2 month" plant I received from a rasta in Grenada, a great guy and expert grower

- another cross of the same grower between a "3 month" plant and his fast "2 month" dad

- bagseeds of a delicious Tobago local bud that brightened our last Christmas

- bagseeds of another nice local bud of Tobago (these didn't germinate though, unluckily)

And as a special... Jamaica seeds from the former Dutch seed company Hemcy BV. Special thanks to Joachim from cannapot.com for entrusting me with these old seeds! They are from a batch supposedly 13 years old, so it was a big surprise for me that I ended up with 12 healthy little plants out of 20 seeds. Seems the guys at Cannapot really know some thing about storing seeds.

The little plants, happily growing indoors in coco coir instead of volcanic earth and under a MH growth lamp as a supplement for the tropical sun:

picture.php

The goal of this project is the keep clones of the most promising plants and to somewhat tame them for indoor cultivation by crossing them with my NLX line (a backcross of the oldschool Dutch NLX clone which is Northern Lights supposedly crossed with a White Widow).

Well, that's it for now, I will keep you updated once the little rascals have grown up a little bit.

Thanks for the nice words, guys!

A comparison picture of the little plants, left to right Tobago, St. Vincent, Jamaica, Grenada, Grenada Pink:
picture.php

In general the Tobago bagseeds and the Jamaicas are smaller. No wonder with the latter, as the seeds were very old they had a slower start. Still early to jump to conclusions, but so far the St. Vincents seem to be most sativa- like with their thin leaves and the Jamaicas stand out with their dark green colour.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I sent 10 packs each of 2 different Stank Bros lines to St. Croix about 7 years ago. Never heard what became of those or if anything good was ever found and kept. In theory, there should be some great blueberry (Carolina Blue x Digi Bx1) and purple kush (BKGK Bx1) there. :joint:
It'll be interesting to see what you find in these lines! :respect:

dank.Frank

CannapotShop

Hi Simon!
I am in - nice stuff - lookin forward to see more here - think you have some very nice genetics :D

Will check from time to time, good luck n cheers
J.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Nice trip! Ten years ago I spent six months visiting twenty islands and countries in the Caribbean, strain hunting in the places that produced the commercial production I smoked in the 70's.

I was hoping to find better weed for treating my illness than what I had been using in the California medical market but like you I found the local weed pretty weak and only scored one bag the entire trip that could hold up to the Cali meds that I traveled with.

Not many local folks down there enjoyed weed as strong as what I brought with me.:biggrin:

The buds are pictured in my Avatar and were dark and tasty like untied Chocolate Thai from the 80's.
I scored them in the biggest weed market I saw down there in Barbados.

Unfortunately it had been compacted and none of the seeds were viable. Not many of the seeds I found there got grown out as I had access to much better seeds from Cali upon my return.

I visit Franco from Greenhouse Seeds a few weeks after my trip and showed him buds from the weed in my Avatar and after a long talk he convinced me to spend my time strain hunting NorCal and hooked me up with a few connections.

It was pretty disappointing to find that the weed I'd loved in my youth just wasn't available down there 40 years after prohibition got severe but I've been able to source contemporary clones that keep me content.

I loved the stoners I met down south as well as the food and weather, living in the islands there would be great if their weed was better.

I'll bet you can find some nice flowers for recreational use in those beans that won't tweak out beginning smokers, good luck!

Thanks for all your interest in my project!

Well, I'd say it's good that the local weed isn't stronger, the islanders are already slow enough :biggrin:

Jokes apart, the quality of the local grown varieties varies and what they tried to sell me on the streets was often not the highest grade. The best flowers I obtained came directly from growers and what they lacked in sheer strength they made up with a very pleasant sativa high. Not medical- grade potency, but for recreational use I like to rather use the analogy of wine - with a good wine it is not just about how fast it gets you drunk.

It would be interesting to compare your Caribbean genetics to mine, Chunkypigs! With the import of South American cannabis and - as dank frank also pointed out - modern strains, I assume the cannabis landscape there has quite changed over the past 10 years.

Hookahhead

Awesome, can't wait to see what you find buried in those beans! I am currently living in Central America near the equator. There is not a lot of domestic product here, most of it is imported. The cheapest is compressed Jamaican. It's typically pretty seeded, and varies in quality. The medium quality stuff here comes from Columbia and is typically seedless or has only has a few seeds. Similar to your experience any high grade imported from US or Canada is labeled as "kush" and is out of my price range.

For the past year I've been growing out these seeds because I didn't really have access to anything better. Since the plants are open pollinated, there is so much variability that ever plant is completely different. These are definitely not landrace!

picture.php

Jamacian @ 7 weeks

picture.php

Jamacian Sativa dominant plant @ 7 weeks, I've grown out several clones of this plant

picture.php

Clone of the plant above @ 7 weeks

picture.php

Jamacian Indica dominant plant @ 7 weeks

Hookahhead

I also see a lot of plants with various shades of pink pistils.

picture.php

Light pink pistil clone @ 3 weeks

picture.php

Same plant @ 5 weeks

picture.php

Same plant @ 6 weeks, this is another clone that I've run a few times. She typically finishes in 9 weeks, but she was intentionally seeded early on so she might finish a little earlier.

picture.php

Interestingly, I have have a friend here that ran her indoors under Screw in LEDs, and not a pink pistil anywhere.

picture.php

Here's one with magenta pistils, this is my first time running this plant.

ctg

Veteran
You actually would have loads of variation within a landrace population do to open pollination. If a supposed landrace when grown comes out fairly stable it’s prob not a landrace. Also if grown right those seed out of the medium quality herb could produce some outrageous plants maybe some of the best you have ever seen. I would love to have access to such gems. In my opinion you have a goldmine of genetics right under your nose.

Last edited:
I still have seeds in the fridge of most of lines I am growing right now. So if some these genetics turn out to be particularly promising, I will keep them pure, of course!

Hookahhead, it seems adding your pictures to the thread didn't work. I would love to see your plants and compare them to mine!

CannapotShop

Hiho :tiphat:

Your Jamaican Sativa looks awesome - i love them all :D
Cheers
J.

Awesome, can't wait to see what you find buried in those beans! I am currently living in Central America near the equator. There is not a lot of domestic product here, most of it is imported. The cheapest is compressed Jamaican. It's typically pretty seeded, and varies in quality. The medium quality stuff here comes from Columbia and is typically seedless or has only has a few seeds. Similar to your experience any high grade imported from US or Canada is labeled as "kush" and is out of my price range.

For the past year I've been growing out these seeds because I didn't really have access to anything better. Since the plants are open pollinated, there is so much variability that ever plant is completely different. These are definitely not landrace!

View Image
Jamacian @ 7 weeks

View Image
Jamacian Sativa dominant plant @ 7 weeks, I've grown out several clones of this plant

View Image
Clone of the plant above @ 7 weeks

View Image
Jamacian Indica dominant plant @ 7 weeks

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I still have seeds in the fridge of most of lines I am growing right now. So if some these genetics turn out to be particularly promising, I will keep them pure, of course!

Hookahhead, it seems adding your pictures to the thread didn't work. I would love to see your plants and compare them to mine!

Hey it's Seedy Simon! Any place where I can see some of your NLX plants?

Your plants look great, Hookahhead! I am looking forward a lot to flower mine and see if they turn out similar to yours. Yes, plants that are grown outdoor are often more colourful than in indoor environments due to temperature drops.

Hi Guy Brush! At the moment I am growing a few plants of an experimental cross of the Amnesia Core Cut and my NLX line, but none of the NLX backcross. I just made an album with some pictures from the archive. Will do a thread about the NLX in the future.

Meanwhile in my garden, the little Caribbeans are growing up rapidly:
picture.php

Happy Christmas days everyone! :)

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the pics, Simon! What kind of effect is to be expected from them? Got some as freebies.

bathroomgrower

Nature or Nurture?

Nature or Nurture?

Hello all..... I guess I'm putting this in the right place..... So, I'm starting my 6th grow soon and the quality of what I've grown so far is more than acceptable and I'm pleased with everything except in one area. The buds are somewhat "fluffy" and lightweight and aren't tight and dense as I'd like them to be. I keep an optimal temperature of between 70 and 80 degrees, more than enough light per square foot, and plenty of ventilation, and generally tender loving care. I only grow 2 at a time due to space limitations so it's easy to keep up with. My question: Is the light weight of the buds due to the strain(s) or is it something I'm doing, or not doing. I guess we all want the nice tight buds, but I've yet to achieve that. Thanks to all in advance.