What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED takes a backseat

positivity

Veteran
The Colombian finally took off in the waterfarm. She's liking being right under the light, no problem at all so far with her. I haven't been checking the water parameters nearly as often this time either, just refilling a guesstimate. This should give a good look at a 4k (ushio) vs 3k (philip agro) cmh bud
Have some beautiful vegging girls I can't wait to get in the rotation in here. Things are coming together nicely

positivity

Veteran
Bored and about to puff a old cured nug, figured why not take a bud pic. Trying all these GSC hybrids I gotta say I like them.

Pulled a cowbell the other day. Off season but still really stinky and sticky. Still have a bunch more of these gsc types to pop but I think I need to germ some of the expensive stuff I picked up. I rarely spend a lot on seeds but I splurged on a few like chaos from seedpac and a couple top dawg stuff. Think chaos is next since its the oldest expensive seed I have. When I bought it there were no other glue stuff available...give it a go..

positivity

Veteran
Sativa sitting right under the open 315 and uvb saying "is that all ya got?"
Seems a little frostier then last time. If nothing else she dosen't seem to mind the weather

positivity

Veteran
Quick update, everything's looking pretty good. Haven't sprayed anything in flower and stopped a few weeks before the switch so meds should be clean of any stuff I sprayed. Almost ditched these girls after the pest attacks but glad I didn't since the stash is low. Outdoor got hit by a new bug, freaking caterpillars now. Trashed the outdoor stuff. Lucky I flowered the tent out.
Inside has been pest free for a good while, yay.
So I've been doing my normal flower resin rubs checking aromas. Gotta say the cmh smells considerably stronger than the led on the same strains. I just need to touch the cmh bud versus getting more invasive with the led side. That's with heavily augmented white led too. Still early to draw a conclusion but eventually it will become clear what's more to my liking.
Led with girl scout is looking like .5 g/w. Didn't train or anything though, just threw them in single cola with a few secondaries. Lightly seeded too..
Chop it down in about 2 weeks, about 65 days should be fully done
Next run I wanted to use the de, but I may just use this 3k again without uv to see how that goes again

Last edited:

positivity

Veteran
Been a little cursed by Glue strains lately. Space monkey and chaos both got killed after germination, two freak accidents. I still have another monkey but chaos is gone. Thought about picking up another but I can't validate spending that much dough again, especially when I have a little hoard of other glue strains.
Wanted to pop a topdawg but I'm on a glue mission for now after these screw ups. This is a newer pack, liking the born on date, nice to know they are fresh. So gorilla bubble next..hopefully

Last edited:

positivity

Veteran
Buckeye purple revegged from flowering clone. Seed popped up from the dirt since there was a couple seeds on the clone. Cool how it finished the seeds while revegging. Probably cull the plant for now. Ready to flower the reveg but no room in the tent for a week or two. Can't wait to finally see her budded out

positivity

Veteran
Coming along, going to be a lot of buds in there. Best swell I've seen on this gsc yet. Putting out some colors I haven't seen before too. good stuff..I kind of like this light

positivity

Veteran
Couple more pics...Can't believe how good the waterfarm plant is doing again. I've been hardly checking it. As easy as it is, its not as easy as pouring water over dirt. The ppms have been all over the place this time around and it still looks pretty good

positivity

Veteran
Thanks ambertrich I'll check it out

Thinking I might pull my girls early with just a week of r/o. Didn't feed heavy at all this past grow so it should be good. Ready to get some of my first CMH pest free girls, I hope at least, into the flower room.
I've been trying to get my organics purring in the veg room for a long time but it never grew quite right. I used veg n bloom since it worked best at keeping things going, really does help when having issues. Well, all organic in veg now and everything is purring. 210w cmh is working out well. Less stress, just grow.
This is a 3 x 2 but a 2 x 4 would be better if I could fit it. There is still a bit of light to spare

positivity

Veteran
Its looking like I have to wait one more week. Got another flush of pistils so I'm hoping a week more will do it. UVB off next grow and then probably introduce it back slowly in the future. I actually had to turn it off about a week ago since it started becoming obvious it was too much.
Really looking forward to another grow with these lights.

Have a great weekend and don't spend too much time on the net..unless browsing bud pics on ic of course

Last edited:

positivity

Veteran
Damn, what a cloudy day. Managed to get a lot of garden stuff done. Vegetable gardens running some heirloom stuff, hopefully I can keep it watered well enough. Damn near 100% germination on everything I started. Pretty good for a outdoor vegetable rookie. Seeds popped fast compared to what the back of the seed packs say, except for the banana pepper. Even that came up maybe a week later
As excited as I am for homegrown veggies the bonus is it gives me somewhere to use the soil thats been building up from past grows. Now its just add a bed and I've got somewhere to put the soil. No wasted soil, put it all to use.
Decided to pull the plug on the waterfarm girl..the rest were in the harvest window. I know, tragic. She was doing well but I got really sick of checking ppms and mixing solutions. I had a columbo in veg and she outgrew the tent so it was kill the hydro or the nice veg girl, only need one.
For any wondering the growth was pretty similar to the other grow.
Can also say I see why people like hydro. Growing a 6" plant into a 4z roughly (don't weigh anymore but I guess pretty good) is amazing.
Put a last pic up before the chop. Again, not my normal to chop like this but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'll give her a dry and she may still make my smoke cut. Nice smells coming off of her..too bad. New stuff soon hopefully

positivity

Veteran
Just got done smoking some of the early cut sativa, gotta say its not bad at all. Even with no flush, weeks early, before any real swelling, its good.

Next up is 2 cowbells and 2 buckeyes. Last grow with these, will keep just one cowbell and maybe a buckeye around for a while. The buckeye is the shorter plant in the middle.

be back in a bit

positivity

Veteran
Few days into flower. Really happy with what i'm seeing in veg and flower from the ceramic. LED did good with some sprouts but I swear they grew an inch after a transplant and put under the CMH in the same day. I don't recall seeing that happen before. Sucked the transplant pot dry in 12 hrs...nutz

positivity

Veteran
So, been running 13/11 flowering this time. Grows were going quickly and it seemed I could extend the flowering so what the hell. If it takes forever to finish or transition then I'll just go back to 12/12. I see the stretch slowing and flowers beginning to form in decent time so for now it'll stay the same. I'll switch to the agro lamp here shortly

positivity

Veteran
A few pics of the two different cowbell varieties. The final buds smoke similarly for such different looking plants.
The agro is in and looks to be just about right as I see the flower sites starting to come in. Flowering onset doesn't seem too bad at all

positivity

Veteran
Wow, wake up and what do I see on the wall, people trying to question my character and mental state. Not here, elsewhere. It takes a strong mental state to do what I do, well beyond what they do as a group everyday.
On a positive note, as we all know life isn't all peaches, and being nice in a situation where your being attacked requires a certain amount of negative vibes to get the point across, things are growing well.

How close can a open 315 cmh get to the tops in a well ventilated area with no a/c, no co2, in a tropical environment? Really close

Every leaf is perfect and there isn't the slightest problem in veg or flower. The CMH lights in my opinion are the best grow light for small growers looking to produce for themselves. So far at least, there are a few other things I still need to try.

No magic nutrients or soil recipes, they just grow healthy naturally under this lighting. Hot, cold, chemical, organic...it does not matter because the light is on point.

In other words. In Philips we trust. Good fkn job. Thank you for enlightening me that a big business can operate at a high standard, including a moral standard.

gh0stm0de

So you started flower with the 4k? I am curious how you felt this impacted your results. Would you recommend the buckeye? So exactly how close ARE you able to get that bulb?

Thanks for sharing

positivity

Veteran
So you started flower with the 4k? I am curious how you felt this impacted your results. Would you recommend the buckeye? So exactly how close ARE you able to get that bulb?

Thanks for sharing

I need to get a few more clean grows in before I can say for sure. The pest problem I had for a while muddled my results a bit.
I'd say the 4k in the first few weeks flower increases node length and secondary branching. The 3k agro seems to stack what nodes are there.

On this grow the cowbell and buckeye aren't the most branchy or quick growing plants, so I used the 4k to increase the amount of mains and space the tops out more so than I thought the 3k would have

As long as I've had the buckeye I haven't smoked a clean bud of it yet. Seeded her out right off the bat since she got hit by the pests when that was going on and I wanted to salvage something. I forget the exact numbers but around 3 strong purples out of 7 females...one nice lavender shaded...and three greenish. Out of three males...one green...one medium purple...one heavy purple. They did have a grape/berry smell on the purples with a bit of kush/fuely mixed in. I'd say it matches up with whats advertised. I'm really looking forward to a clean bud of it

With the open reflector not concentrating the light there seems to be a safe zone about 12" from the bulb

gh0stm0de

Thanks for such a quick and thorough reply. I am surprised that you used 4k to increase node length. Studies show that blue light receptors such as cryptochromes actually act as regulators inhibiting elongation of stem length. Meaning blue light is often used to reduce internodal length not increase it. University of michigan did a study in 07 that suggests blue light receptors help with transition to flower but do not inhibit elongation of stems in flowering cycle the same way they do during veg. Far red light signals an anti shading response that contributes to the stretch we see in flowering.

12" is very close. You must be getting great intensity despite the low wattage.

Looking forward to your thoughts on proper buckeye sample. It has gotten quite a bit of buzz lately. I love the seemingly endless beautiful diverse variations that this plant can share with us!!