What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Root Riot vs Jiffy pellets (test)

burns1n209

Well I tried the jiffys to clone in, I put 10 in jiffy, 10 in coco cups and 10 in root riot,. Everyone of the jiffys died within days, stem rot, held to much water. Coco I had 100% in 12 days and 100% of root riots in 10days. Ill stick with my usuall coco cups being alot cheaper then riots. I did however use the jiffys for seeds and I got 4 of 4 to pop, so I will use them for seeds just not clones anymore.

burns1n209

Yea tried to get as much water out as I could without smashing it. Soaked first in phd water then squezzed out excess water and planted. Put the tray on a heat mat also.

szachtb2

Root riot cubes soaked in aptus startboost ftw. Retarded roots in 6 days, almost any stain. Ive used cannazym for years and had good roots in 8 days regularly, but startboost is amazing. If you have not tried it I highly recommend it. Root riots over jiffy cubes here

Reactions: ost

ost

I've used both, a lot, and I have faster results with RR's.
The fact that they dry out faster, which causes roots to stretch, looking for water, might have something to do with it. I really don't know tho'.
They are more porous also, which must help.
Jiffy's can get and stay water logged.
Both have worked well for me.
the jiffy's need to be scored with a razor blade to weaken the neting, roots on some cuts will not put out enough roots past the net to reach water and nutes

mexweed

Veteran
fwiw I have found rapid rooter preferable to root riot, the larger hole is nice you never have to force a cracked seed or cutting into it and it allows for better viewing to check on the progress of a seed

Latest posts

Latest posts