What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why go 24 hours lights on??

Bob, what is your plant spacing like in your grow space?

considering my over abundant amount of light in my veg room id say my spacing is always good , right now there is 2 moms and 10 rooted/vegging clones sharing the light/lights

even when packed in i do plant-space-plant , the space is equal to the pots the plants are in

my air circulation is excelent and heat/cold are not an issue

dont get me wrong , im not saying the stretch/lankyness is overly bad or anything , just saying ,,, i get tighter node spacing and more nodes at 24/0

and as mentioned , i was replying to the original post that part of my reason for vegging 24/0 is because i use one veg room but 2 flowering rooms and the flowering rooms are on at oposite 12 hours , so to avoid confusing the vegged plants light/dark schedule i go 24/0 in veg

peace :plant grow:

redrum8

are u kids done arguing over something growers decide for themselves weither right or wrong or indifferant? Please children, find something else to fight over besides light. Use whatever pleases u guys and be happy with yourself and not upset because everyone doesn't agree with u or think u r right. And as far as GOD goes, HE made everyone differant so deal with it. Myself, I've tried both 24/0 & 20/4 and see no differance in size and yield and quality. Keep growing and be happy and enjoy your product. Later children. LOL

redrum8

I use 6-300watt, 2700k, and 4-200 watt, 2700k bulbs in vegging and flowering and my plants do very good. Tight internodes and hard compact fat buds of excellant quality bubba kush. That bush is awesome. Man there's buds everywhere and it's day 26 of flowering and trich covered buds everywhereThat's the 1st grow already harvested and the bush is the same plant reveged. That bud weighed 13grs.. https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=25351&pictureid=553861

Last edited:

vaped

I use 24/0 for the simple fact of simplicity. Maintaining my grow is a full time job. keeping the flower room full with a process of cloning and transplanting. Constantly mixing nutes and watering. With the 24/0 light sched. for veg I can enter my veg room and water anytime. Also its a few less timers to watch. It works good plants do just fine and the extra 4 hours of energy isnt really that big of a deal on the power bill.

smokefrogg

Veteran
several months into 20/4 now, one thing i did notice is that a few of this 818 og cross we have started flowering whereas under 24/0 they didn't, needless to say i was curious and have since tossed a bunch of lowryder #2 pollen on to one of them...the petrolia headstash starts to flower a tiny bit too but then begins vegging normally again, quite odd

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Earlier in this thread the total photons hitting the plant was used for determining how long the lights needed to be on.
My veg room just went from 640 watts up to 1100 watts. The plants used to quit using light after 19 hours. Now they droop at 15 hours. Growth is the same as I turn off the lights when the plants start yawning.

I consider this support for DLI.:D

LMFAO, i read the first 7 pages of spurs and japan going at it, and I cant take it anymore!
anyone care to fill me in on important or funny information on all the pages after that

Dave Coulier

Veteran
LMFAO, i read the first 7 pages of spurs and japan going at it, and I cant take it anymore!
anyone care to fill me in on important or funny information on all the pages after that

There were plenty of dissenters on both sides, and Im sure some people were swayed over to using a dark period, while others werent.

I would suggest you to search for Spurrs posts for some more good info. Eventually the fighting begins to tail off as Japan got banned, so you can make your way through the thread eventually if you make it past all the fighting.

spurr

Veteran
Yup, I was re-reading some older posts in this thread, looking for some info I posted to fulfill a recent request by a member here ... and I was put off by all the fighting too! Even though I was part of it, granted I was on the defense, but I did tend to get snarky and overly curt, as well a kind of rude, on occasion in this thread. I can only take so much, then I get annoyed and tend o hold back little.

Thankfully it seems things have changed here and people are much more open to (and thankful for) science, without throwing lots of rotten tomatoes (as had the been the case in the past, IMO).

I was thinking about going through some of my older posts in this thread and cleaning them up, removing unnecessary arguments, etc., at least from my side. I started to do so already with some messages I posted to bob.

T

tumbleweed

cause its easy...
and when you decide to flower you can pick anytime to start your dark period.
if you ran 6 off during veg and you start to flower kinda feels like im bound into that time schedual, if that makes sense

Dave Coulier

Veteran
cause its easy...
and when you decide to flower you can pick anytime to start your dark period.
if you ran 6 off during veg and you start to flower kinda feels like im bound into that time schedual, if that makes sense

....That doesn't make sense to me. It sounded like you said you feel stuck with 6 off during flowering stage if you had that during veg? Im confused.

mad librettist

Veteran
Why go 24 hours lights on??

....That doesn't make sense to me. It sounded like you said you feel stuck with 6 off during flowering stage if you had that during veg? Im confused.

I think he is saying you are stuck with the same lights on? or off? lol either way it's wrong. I frequently do whatever the hell I want with the start time. all that matters is getting at least 12 hours dark before lights on.

Zowie

I thought 24 hrs would limit stretch, which I don't want since I like to keep my moms as bonsais?? So what you guys are saying is I can switch to 18/6 and it won't cause them to stretch during the dark cycle??

I'mma switch if that's the case... save some $$$

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I thought 24 hrs would limit stretch, which I don't want since I like to keep my moms as bonsais?? So what you guys are saying is I can switch to 18/6 and it won't cause them to stretch during the dark cycle??

I'mma switch if that's the case... save some $$$

Using 24/0 as a means to control stretch Is a waste of electricity. Just get a 6500k MH like Digilux, or 6500k T5's. You will get very short plants using just those lights, but you will see best results with clones. Seedplants stretch more than clones, ime.