What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why go 24 hours lights on??

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Hey, Japan would need to run those 400 & 250 watters 24/0 to get the performance that a 1kw bulb will crank out in 18/6, and it will do it with more plants stuffed under it also. .

Yes a 1k is more powerful than a 400 but even used longer a 400 will not give the same performance.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
That is what I thought, see this post of mine on page 4. The PPFD of your lights is low (even if not using PPFD as meter^2, say using foot^2), thus you need longer days to provide higher DLI vs. someone who uses provides (high) level of PPFD (ex. ~1,000 to ~1,500):

Like I said earlier, don't blame people if they don't want to talk to you. Use the lingo everybody is using or people will ignore you.

spurr

Veteran
Then how to do you explain that plants grown under 24/7 reach the desired height for flowering quicker? Fwiw of course.

Difference in DLI...see what I wrote you here where I already explained it to you: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4000626&postcount=74

It's a fact plants grow the most at night and very early morning, nothing you can assume will change that. If you would listen to us, and accept that it's the photons per day that matters, not the hours per day, you would see that if you gave the same DLI in 18/6 as 24/0 the 18/6 plants would grow better (same goes for 24/0 vs. 20/4).

Japanfreakier

Veteran
It's a fact only in your mind. Out here in the real world my plants grow fastest over all if I leave my lights on 24/7 during veg with no darkness.

(usually about a day faster, so about 12 days instead of 13 to get where I want to get)

spurr

Veteran
Yes a 1k is more powerful than a 400 but even used longer a 400 will not give the same performance.

Yes it will if both provide the same DLI! (all other things being equal)

The reason 1,000 watt gives better growth than 400w is due to PPFD (irradiance of umoles/meter^2/second); 1,000w provides much higher irradiance. And the PPFD datum multiplied by seconds per hour, multiplied hours per daylength, multiplied by 1,000,000 is what constiutes DLI. That last multiplication (times 1 million) isn't needed if you want to keep the quantification as umoles, but that's a really big number per day (vs. per second), so making the quantification as moles is better for a smaller, more manageable number.

spurr

Veteran
It's a fact only in your mind. Out here in the real world my plants grow fastest over all if I leave my lights on 24/7 during veg with no darkness.

(usually about a day faster, so about 12 days instead of 13 to get where I want to get)

OMFG! Are you trying to be dense and obstinate!?! The hours per day DOESN'T matter! It's DLI that matters!

So, I guess I will now have to drop a few studies on your head to try and cram in the facts of plant photo-biology and photo-reactions. Soon come...

spurr

Veteran
Like I said earlier, don't blame people if they don't want to talk to you. Use the lingo everybody is using or people will ignore you.

I have lots of people talking to me, thanks though. I will not dumb down the correct terminology, why don't you learn the correct terms so you can increase your knowledge?

There is no 'lingo' that can replace terms I am using...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol dude just drop it. Japan does not want the info or cares to read what you want him to. Right now your having a one sided conversation. I would have got the hint a long time ago

Japanfreakier

Veteran
He just wants people to change our lingo so he can feel special or something. Not going to happen. Kind of silly.

spurr

Veteran
Hammerhead wrote:
lol dude just drop it. Japan does not want the info or cares to read what you want him to. Right now your having a one sided conversation. I would have got the hint a long time ago

Point well taken, I agree. However, he keeps trying to refute science with his incorrect assumptions and incorrect anecdotal evidence, so it seems he does care a bit. Up until the last page I was trying to help him with altruistic motives, but he's beyond help if he stays on the track he's currently on. Either that or he's just trying to be obstinate and silly, if so it's working!

That said, I agree with the thrust of your post and I will cease and desist posting to someone who doesn't want to learn and is happy being wrong and ignorant. Thanks, spurr

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Refute science? that's not what I'm doing, you just don't understand the science I guess if you don't see how it applies to my garden. Me I don't need to refute or put my faith in it, I just grow and leaving my light on 24/7 grows plants quicker than not doing so in veg. I'll just laugh my ass off when you try to explain why that isn't so, I imagine other growers will as well.

And it's not that I don't want to learn, I'm just not interested in you or your bullshit, I deal in the real world and I know what's real in my garden. Talk to a hundred growers who have switched to 24/7 and they don't need to listen to you either to know what's going in their garden. So if you keep insisting that what we know isn't happening, then I put forth that you don't have a clue.

A lot of spurr's sources are .edu sites...I think I'll go ahead and trust university horticulture departments lol. I'm sure the information on these .edus were derived from much more controlled settings than any of us on these boards, including me haha.

I haven't read any of the links spurr provided I guess I should. Are the majority of the studies relating to light cycles done on cannabis or which plant family? If it is done on cannabis then I guess I would have to say that there's something to listen to. I will read up on it and see if I can learn something worth keeping haha. I wish I could have a controlled environment like they do at some of these universities...I envy some of these botany departments we have in our country. other then the fact that most do not experiment on cannabis :(.

Been growing over 8 years straight with multiple gardens, thousands of plants. Yes I can know. I don't need to know any science (of course I do know a lot of science) to know what I know. Kind of like a that show "Time Warp" when they look at the world's stone skipping champion. He doesn't know the physics around why his stones skip the furthest, he just does it. Saying a grower has no idea what's changed or hasn't changed in his garden is just silly.

yo japan didn't mean it in any disrespect i think your taking it wrong.. not trying to say you don't know your shit or your own girls! so don't take it like that. im simply trying to say it costs the botany departments at universities a lot of $ to get controlled Eco's for their studies....equipment and toys that most of us only dream of having.
Im not saying you are wrong, all im saying is that you "could" be more wrong then you think due to variables/studies beyond most of our control.
-.- but I don't discredit any of the info you've brought, just as you shouldn't so easily discredit potentially viable info that spurr has brought.

my $.02....not worth much but it's somethin :p

Japanfreakier

Veteran
You know pot boards are filled with people like Spurr, who remind me of those guys who collect baseball cards and know all the trivia about the sport, still has nothing to do with hitting a ball though. The info might be right but it's got little to do with our gardens. It's not like those people are all hitting home-runs if you know what I mean.

statusquo

lololol this is fun :) Japan have you actually red any of spurrs explanations or gone to any of his sources? I'm not saying anything about either of you but it seems like he keeps offering evidence to the same points over and over and you just ignore it.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
what are we talking about the last 10 post give no insight.

I am going with this and the more light the more this can happen, therefore more light hours would be beneficial:

general equation for photosynthesis is:

6 CO2(gas) + 12 H2O(liquid) + photons → C6H12O6(aqueous) + 6 O2(gas) + 6 H2O(liquid)
carbon dioxide + water + light energy → glucose + oxygen + water

When written as a word equation the light energy appears above the arrow as it is required for photosynthesis but it is not actually a reactant.

oh yea in my experience if all things are optimal in your environment 24/7 lighting will help girls explode, just a decades worth of growing experience

Japanfreakier

Veteran
lololol this is fun :) Japan have you actually red any of spurrs explanations or gone to any of his sources? I'm not saying anything about either of you but it seems like he keeps offering evidence to the same points over and over and you just ignore it.

Read a few lines :dance013:

Latest posts

Latest posts