What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

80's, 90's growers?

Started growing in late 60's, no internet, only one friend to compare notes with. As with others, Mel and ED's Complete guide for growing Marijuana was the bible. Some people back then had halide lights but most grew with t8 fluros and HO's with one cool white and one daylilght bulb. I built a rack with 5 double bulb shop lights 4 ft long and grew in the space under the landing of the stairs.

At the time commercial bricks consisted of Panama Red, Columbian Red and Gold, Purple Zacateacus, Acapulco Gold, Michoacan, Oaxacan and Jamaican Lamb's Breath.. My first bag of weed cost $5 and within a year or two $15-20 was the normal price for an oz. We early growers had a hard time convincing people that the sensimillia was better than these landrace strains. Early in 70's I would have to discount my seedless buds to $17.50 to compete with the imported brick weed from Panama and Columbia, which sold for $20.. This was also the Vietnam era and many vets would bring Thai sticks home so grower friends could try and reproduce the amazing highs.

Growing these strains was a real learning experience, as some grows might take close to a year. I once bred a Purple Zacateacus and Columbian Red, then the next year crossed the F1 with Hawaiian Kine. The resulting hybrid was stronger than anything I have ever smoked to this day. Young growers who think today's weed is so much better than the sensimillia grown with the 60's and 70's strains are sadly mistaken. Most people will never experience the incredible high of smoking an equatorial sativa that has been flowered for 20-24 weeks because it is not cost effective in these times.

Growers were able to produce better and better yielding hybrids with these strains as growing info was passed by word of mouth and a few books on growing hit the shelf. Most of the early growers opted for soil grows until the 70's when people started growing more hydro setups. Most of today's new hybrids are descendants of these old pure strains.

mr cheese

what a great thread! altho it makes my heart heavy remembering loved ones that are nolonger here its just a joy to remeber the crazy shit we got up to!

well i started growing early 90s just befor the internet took off here in the uk, so info was very hard to find..
my very first attemp was grown under a normal house lamp! strangley enuf she grew ok but just wouldnt produce the bud, we couldnt understand why, little did we know they needed 12/12! lol ended up swapping her for a gold ring! hahah
i remeber the lad cutting her down and putting the stem, leaves in the oven to dry and smoked her! boy did he complaine of a bad headach! lol

it wasnt untill one of my best friends who sadly isnt here anymore introdued us to his uncle who had grown since the 70s that we learned how to realy grow.
for lights we used the lowbay light you find in factorys, retail parks ect ect onced stipped down out of theirs metal boxes they made for perfect grow lights, only 400watt mind as 600s wernt around but we produced some fantastic bud from them.

i here everyone mention what lights we all used but what about the fans?? we used industrial a/c unit fans, again haveing to strip them out of the huge metal housing and put them in our own wood made boxes but they done the trick , well apart from the smell! we did actualy use carbon filters but they wernt available in the shops like they are today so again we made our own using wooden boxes with several layers of charcole but they were no wheir near as affective as todays shop brought ones.
how we never got busted ill never know, not to say i havent been busted but thats another story! lol

so come on guys what fans/ smell control did you use back then?

Andyo

Veteran
76 lol

76 lol

started with flouros vho tubes in 76 by 80 id started working for shell research .
In the green houses they had the 400 w phillips base up internal reflector lamps both mercury and HPS im afraid 6 units dissapeared lol Had been growin sativas until a girl from florida came on holiday to uk and hooked up with me to get some hash ,when she went home she sent me about 200 seeds of diff types .
First kush type id grown.
Then i went over to sylvania metal arc 1000w mh used that type untill 2004 .
Now mixing mh n hps in thailand.
I agree on the smell n strains being stronger in the 80,s.A

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
great thread

I credit the government and Operation Green Merchant with setting the table for me and the absolute level of secrecy and lifestyle we must lead in order to thrive and survive. See when Green Merchant happened I was just a little stoner. Not a grower. But you learn and you listen and that is what keeps you safe.

Somebody mentioned that HomeGrown was a bad word. It sure was. Wow how times change.

peace
jip

F

feral

I popped my first seeds in the mid-late 70s.
Most people thought you were CRAZY trying to grow your own herb, home-grown was a dirty word!

Agreed. You basically couldn't even give the stuff away.
Never grew inside until like 3 years ago, but I did grow outside in '70's. I've posted this before but basically we would dig out the center of a bamboo patch and plant our plants in the middle. Didn't have to worry about flyovers just having someone stumbling on them by accident which explains the bamboo part.
Start them inside in jiffy pots with soil that was dug up from outside and cooked in the oven to kill the bugs. Would keep them under a incandescent light inside a closet until time to transplant. For ferts we would make our own compost in the basement and sometimes throw some fish in the hole as well.
Beans were from bag stash and kept in a 35mm film canister. Only problem we had was trying to get these damn plants (columbian sativa's) done in time.
The commercial aspect was nothing like it is today. You'd go to your dealer's house throw 35.00 on the table and he/she would come back with a sandwich baggie stuffed to the max. The flap would 'just' flip over. Weight didn't matter and it always weighed more than an oz. A lot of times they would break out the 'ol Apogee or U.S. bong along with their personal head stash and get you blitzed before leaving. Then the late '70's came and with it scales, proper weighted bags and the infancy of greed.

our bible from the '70's. Most were printed around '72.

The one on the left talked about using strictly shop lights and how to take clones. This is from '72. The other on the right got into the photoperiod aspect big time. published around '74 (?) if I remember correctly. Can't remember and to stoned to get up to look.

Grizz

Veteran
started in 1978, 13 1000 w metal halide bare bone kit out of high times, mexican bag seed, super soil and worm castings, fish emulision and miricle grow fertz. remember getting a idica cut out of cali in 1980, no name , just indica. crossed it to a good sativa and got the first purple i had ever seen. damn im old.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Agreed. You basically couldn't even give the stuff away.
Never grew inside until like 3 years ago, but I did grow outside in '70's. I've posted this before but basically we would dig out the center of a bamboo patch and plant our plants in the middle. Didn't have to worry about flyovers just having someone stumbling on them by accident which explains the bamboo part.
Start them inside in jiffy pots with soil that was dug up from outside and cooked in the oven to kill the bugs. Would keep them under a incandescent light inside a closet until time to transplant. For ferts we would make our own compost in the basement and sometimes throw some fish in the hole as well.
Beans were from bag stash and kept in a 35mm film canister. Only problem we had was trying to get these damn plants (columbian sativa's) done in time.
The commercial aspect was nothing like it is today. You'd go to your dealer's house throw 35.00 on the table and he/she would come back with a sandwich baggie stuffed to the max. The flap would 'just' flip over. Weight didn't matter and it always weighed more than an oz. A lot of times they would break out the 'ol Apogee or U.S. bong along with their personal head stash and get you blitzed before leaving. Then the late '70's came and with it scales, proper weighted bags and the infancy of greed.

The one on the left talked about using strictly shop lights and how to take clones. This is from '72. The other on the right got into the photoperiod aspect big time. published around '74 (?) if I remember correctly. Can't remember and to stoned to get up to look.

I had the Grow Marijuana Indoors book!
Also, the 35mm film can brings back memories.
Once,early on, I bought a can of seeds from the "Big Kids" down the block.
They must have thought I was an IDIOT!
I guess I was, sort of. I was sure with proper care, knowledge, and attention to detail, I Can Grow This!

Turns out....I was right!!!

SD:tiphat:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
started in 1978, 13 1000 w metal halide bare bone kit out of high times, mexican bag seed, super soil and worm castings, fish emulision and miricle grow fertz. remember getting a idica cut out of cali in 1980, no name , just indica. crossed it to a good sativa and got the first purple i had ever seen. damn im old.

1000???
Damn, I only had a 400!
I remember looking at those old High Times and DROOLING over the "store bought" hydroponics systems.(hey, gimme a break, I was just a kid!).
Also the centerfolds with sacks and bales of (today) priceless buds!

SD:tiphat:

F

feral

SD
remember cleaning your weed on record albums? (pref. the Beatles white album or Cheech and Chong's Big Bambu) and then throwing all the damn seeds out because they were annoying? oh, the genetics we threw away....DOH!!!!

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
SD
remember cleaning your weed on record albums? (pref. the Beatles white album or Cheech and Chong's Big Bambu) and then throwing all the damn seeds out because they were annoying? oh, the genetics we threw away....DOH!!!!

Smoked a few desperate bowlfuls too! Yuck!!! :puke:

Love the White Album.
Never got turned on to C+C till way later,though.

L~B

Man for me back in the 90's my growing attempts were lets say very flawed. Phish-2-k it all came together cause of a gifted nug and a bag of musshies and little chat . Haven't looked back since. It's been a good ride so far.

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome thread...In the early nineties I had just started smoking. A friend grew a skunk that is still around today call the Va cut.And the taste and smell is what I chase today. I remember driving around clones to people for my friend not even knowing what a clone was at the time.

Grizz

Veteran
yes this thread has brought back alot of old memories, the grow i did first with the bare bones lights i did in arizona in a big metal shed with a dirt floor, I worked the soil and grew right in it, I vegged for 4 months and flipped the lights the first of may. went well at first untill temps started climing into the 100 degree plus marks, the plants streatched to 9 to 10 ft high , then the spider mites and white flies hit. total loss. learned alot and tried again. lol. wish we had the internet back then

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Just my anecdotal experience but once you've discovered white flies - it's over. Done. Finis. Period.

The absolute worst insect that one can deal with - even worse than spider mites. No small feat.

CC

Shaw

Back in "78 (I was 8 years old), I remember always going fishing with my uncle. He knew all the secret fishing spots on private land (he didn't own). I remember walking forever in thick forest.

I didn't know it then, but later I realized that in between traveling to fishing holes, he would stop and check out on his various grows. I always wondered why he stopped and "smelled the roses". I cannot remember how many times we stopped but it was a lot.

To this day he still grows outdoors. His weed is so sticky, you can stick it to the wall and it stays there.

mdk ktm

Awesome thread...In the early nineties I had just started smoking. A friend grew a skunk that is still around today call the Va cut.And the taste and smell is what I chase today. I remember driving around clones to people for my friend not even knowing what a clone was at the time.

WHAT! I thought the VA was a cut of chemdog? And i thought it was called skunk VA because that was the guys internet name? So he grew the VA out from his own seed?

gronko

Everyone wanted bush weed back in the day as it allowed them to do stuff during the day. Hydro was a new kid on the block then, and most people were unfamiliar with it.

:gday: