What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UNDERSTANDING CANNABINOIDS

Stevius

I read that THCV alters THC activity at the receptor, it said something about being less stoned. It is an antagonist and people usually conceive that as limiting agonist, seeing antagonist as the anti-drug drugs and agonist as the drug abusing drugs. Truth is antagonists alter agonist responses, THCV to me is like the non-sedative CBD. It promotes clarity to the response of THC, which I find CBD does as well with it's anti-psychotic effects as long as not to sedating which I find extremely rare.

Interesting to read that Pakistani strains have THC, I wouldn't have seen that in such an Indica. Now with Nepali strains, that doesn't surprise me but still something new.

Can we have any link or source of information of where you have read this?

I can't give any personal experience on THCV, since almost all of the weed I smoke I dont know what strain it is or it's origin... therefore I cannot know/predict which cannabinoids I am consuming when smoking, so I cannot give clear assertion on this one.

So any link to resources and info's on this one would be really helpful for all of us.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
This seems to make sense to my experience also. I think this is what happens in tinctures that result in more of a euphoric high than a stony high. The THCV balances the sedative properties of THC allowing a more upbeat vibe. This is my theory.... which is open to more input!

except that the only way that THCV would even be introduced into a tincture would be from tropical sativas grown outdoors close to the equator. So I would venture to say that most tinctures that people make contain little to no THCV.

THC is converted into THC in tropical sativas due to long exposure to high intensity light. Like the kind that can never be reproduced by an HID light or even the sun above a certain latitude.

I think an in depth look into THC-V would be a good addition to the thread. Anyone have some links handy?

Mr. Charlie

except that the only way that THCV would even be introduced into a tincture would be from tropical sativas grown outdoors close to the equator. So I would venture to say that most tinctures that people make contain little to no THCV.

I think an in depth look into THC-V would be a good addition to the thread. Anyone have some links handy?

Thanks for the clarification... there is so much to learn!!! Perhaps what I am defining as the euphoric high is not THCV, but is the CDB's and the CBN's.

Minilab

although thcv is an antagonist voor thc,
it does give thc a more flasy, quic effect.
so you'llreach the peak sooner,
the peak i higher
but period is shorter.

But the flashy part of being high can also be
started by the cryptics.
These ar loceculs wo are not defined yet.
In amnesia, kierewiet and some other strains you'll find this cannbinoids.

ThCV has to do with altitude also.
the more uv the more thcv.
and that explains the fact that you'll find it a lot equatorial countrys.
Because there the filtering of the sunlight is less then other places.
Also the color of the light has more blue.

greetz Minilab

corky1968

Veteran
I Wonder Anyone Thought Of This Yet

I Wonder Anyone Thought Of This Yet

I started my cannabis journey with an Indica. Now, I tend to lean
more towards the sativa end of the spectrum.

Yet, I still have a little doubt about the third most known type of cannabis.

The Ruderalis variant. They say it flowers when it feels like it regardless of
photoperiod. It is I believe rich in Cbd and poor in Thc. Unless, I read those
articles elsewhere wrong.

Anyway, this is my question. Could someone who lives in a very Northern Region
where the Sativa or Indica can't finish on time outside grow a field of the Ruderalis
and the use it to make an oil that is rich in Cbd? Either to produce Cbd for medical
purposes or isomerize it all to make pure Thc. I know the Arctic regions have a
short summer, but it's a summer with long hours. I was told that the Sun
doesn't go away if you far enough North. I only dips in the horizon.
Which is perfect for Ruderalis, since it doesn't matter how long
there's light and it grows fast because of it's autoflowering
qualities.

Who knows, maybe after reading this we'll hear about an esquimo
growing Ruderalis on Greenland and getting his tribe all high.
I wonder what Ice Dope sells for? It's those Caribou and
Musk Ox that will eat his crop though.

Oh boy, I hope Greenpeace don't come after me
for starting Ice Dope Wars. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Natural occurrence

THCV is found in largest quantities in Cannabis sativa subsp. indica strains. Some varieties that produce propyl cannabinoids in significant amounts, over five percent of total cannabinoids, have been found in plants from South Africa, Nigeria, Afghanistan, India, Pakistan and Nepal with THCV as high as 53.69% of total cannabinoids.[2] They usually have moderate to high levels of both THC and Cannabidiol (CBD) and hence have a complex cannabinoid chemistry representing some of the world's most exotic cannabis varieties.[3]
[edit] Pharmaceutical properties

It has been shown to be a CB1 receptor antagonist, i.e. blocks the effects of THC.[4] In 2007 GW Pharmaceuticals announced that THCV is safe in humans in a clinical trial and it will continue to develop THCV as a potential cannabinoid treatment for type 2 diabetes and related metabolic disorders, similar to the CB1 receptor antagonist rimonabant.[5]

This is from wiki, it also says that some indica's have THCV but it also says some strains have a very high THCV level. It's important to understand antagonists, these are not the drug blockers that people choose to see them as. They modify drug effects, they are drugs themselves but they don't actually block agonist they are seen as doing that. They can block a lot of actions, having actions of themselves they are usually quite interesting.

THCV is said to be high in Pakistani strains, this may have anti-psychotic effects. It's hard to tell with the published data, thanks again to the Government not setting research in the right direction. People are to busy fighting what is commonly debated, THCV probably acts like CBD but without the downer. CBD also keeps THC From being metabolized fast and people report long lasting highs with THCV plants.

THCV isn't from sativa's alone, obviously UV is around anywhere outdoors so THCV is produced from genetics telling the plant to form said compound. It's possible that people confuse high THC levels, the racing experience, with THCV that might not have been fully formed due to a sativa being picked early. It's highly likely that in an early maturing Pakistani plant, the THCV forms much earlier thus picked at high THCV levels.

C

ChynaRyder

I have read in many places that decarboxylation of THC occurs with heat...yet I have not heard a specific temperature at which optimum decarboxylation occurs. I currently cook my buds in the crock pot on low for about 45 mins before making tincture...and really just hope that this has been sufficient. Gaining a better feel on this would make me a hell of a lot more comfortable about it.

And on autoflowers...my daily meds come from autoflowers, and I find them to be as or more effective in managing my chronic pain and inflammation than any other strain. It has been my assumption that higher CBD levels from the rudy lineage is at play here, but only logic is supporting this. There are many others with similar conditions as mine that are finding excellent relief of symptoms with autos. I do grow regular strains as well, but these are kept primarily as head stash for recreational use.

Stevius

I have read in many places that decarboxylation of THC occurs with heat...yet I have not heard a specific temperature at which optimum decarboxylation occurs.

I think here you have an awnser...

Good stuff Bart, reading that paper gave me some new ideas.

They didn't provide any critical temps in the study but I have read that THCA decarboxylates most rapidly at 222°F (106°C), although it also converts into THC at a slower rate at lower temperatures. The cannabinoids in turn boil at temperatures ranging from 355-392°F (180-200°C), where THC is the last compound to evaporate.

These figures might be of interest to those who are cooking with cannabis.

I was also lead to believe that THCA is nowhere near as potent as THC and that most of the THC in the living plant is actually in the form of THCA, typically around 80-90% before decarboxylation.

The overall potency of the bud cannot increase once it has been harvested. The only thing that changes is the concentration of THCA vs. THC found in the bud at any given time. The THC content increases over time while the bud is cured, but so does the amount of CBN.

Slow curing does however bring out the scent and taste so what we are looking for seems to be a fine line.

corky1968 - Interesting read bro! I need to take some more time to read it though. Thanks for the link... :)

It's good to see new people coming in and leaving some good references and info's! Keep it coming peeps!

Good vibes! :wave:

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
I have read in many places that decarboxylation of THC occurs with heat...yet I have not heard a specific temperature at which optimum decarboxylation occurs

To further clarify; according to Adam Gottlieb, who also wrote a book about cooking with cannabis, most of the THCA will turn into THC if you cook the weed for 75 minutes at 212°F (100°C). THCA also decarboxylates at lower temperatures, so you might want to keep it below the boiling point for a while longer instead. <-(incorrect, scroll down to my next post)

THC in turn degrades into CBN in the presence of oxygen and heat, but according to Gottlieb, the time that it takes to cook the weed should not be enough to cause much of the THC to oxidize. THC does not evaporate until it reaches around 392°F (200°C), so keeping the temps below that should ensure that little is lost.

Mr. Charlie

Excellent information everyone, thanks for sharing.

I currently cook my buds in the crock pot on low for about 45 mins before making tincture...and really just hope that this has been sufficient. Gaining a better feel on this would make me a hell of a lot more comfortable about it.

So... ChynaRyder, do you just put the buds or dried A+ greens directly into the crock pot? Meaning, no water. And I assume the lid should be on? Would it work to just cook the greens on a flat oven sheet at the desired temp for the desired time? Is oxygen a factor to be concerned about? Cheers

C

ChynaRyder

So... ChynaRyder, do you just put the buds or dried A+ greens directly into the crock pot? Meaning, no water. And I assume the lid should be on? Would it work to just cook the greens on a flat oven sheet at the desired temp for the desired time? Is oxygen a factor to be concerned about? Cheers
I put the buds in a mason jar with the lid loosely on, and then set the whole jar in the crock pot...I read somewhere that the maximum temperature that a crock pot reaches on low is 180 degrees F, and I have found this to be pretty consistent when I have monitored temps...and I also always use quick dried bud for my tinctures...harvest and immediately place in a dehydrator for 12-14 hours at 105 F. a vain hope to preserve other more ephemeral compounds that may not be present in slow cured weed, and it seems to make a difference in efficacy, at least for me.

Kodiak - I am a dumbass, and I do remember reading your post on Decarboxylation temps...my stoner memory....I guess I am still slightly unclear how long I need to cook my buds at 180 F to ensure complete transformation...but I am suspecting that 2 hours should do if 70 mins is good at 220

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Thanks for posting that valuable information Joe. I really need to read that book if I want to wrap my head around this.

If I am reading this right, the results from the chromatography indicate that around 270°F (130°C) for 15-20 minutes in the oven would be enough. 212°F (100°C) is clearly not enough, even if you give it an hour or more.

C

ChynaRyder

Wow, thanks G.O. Joe...it appears that my decarboxylation procedure is woefully inadequate...which serves to further complicate my thinking. Certainly it explains the lack of psychoactivity in my tinctures, which is a good thing as I am able to be nearly full functioning. But, it clouds the reasons of why my tincture Works for me, and works quite well. Apparently other cannabinoids are at work in my case, and are providing significant relief. Exciting to think that if I were to properly cook my buds, that efficacy may be increased even more. I am with you, Kodiak, I will need some time to fully wrap my brain around all of this data