What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

don't try ganja as hops

Bluesmell

I started brewing around the late 80's and was pretty darn good at it by the mid 90's... I buy my malt by the 55 lb.sack and use a decoction mash, using a large SS kettle and a large SS mash tun...Then I bottle in dark brown longnecks or sometimes in old flip top bottles..I brew some Vienna style lagers that will knock your socks off in the taste dept.
I often considered using some good weed instead of the hops,
(being that weed and hops are closely related in botany)
But I changed my mind and figured, why not enjoy weed and beer the way they were meant to be enjoyed.
So, now I just sit here, with a nice cool lager in one hand and big fat doobie in the other....Why fuck with perfection?

Yes, you're right. Drinking good beer while smoking good weed.
But it's s easy way to say this. Beer could be made with a lot of spices and things, so why not try a plant which is biologically near to hops?
Our days we see a constant research about new strains of hops...new genetic crossing just to find new tastes in the hops (Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy...)

Sometimes I like to try new ways of using ganja, we are here to learn. So why not try ganja for aromas hops, I mean for cold extraction like DH and DHEA. I can immagine that ganja is not good for bittering, thc is not soluble in water and I want to get aromas.

I can read you are an homebrewer, good, me too.
But you don't say what results (good or bad) you achieved with ganja in brewing.
--------------

@Kcar: Did you make some beers with weed extract in alchol? How could I decarboxylate buds before making extract? Free buds in the oven, then extracting in alchol?
Could decarboxylating process go through during "re-fermentation" and rest (for 2-3 months). I mean, can this process be done by ripening itself? If so, making previous decarboxylation would be destructive, right?

MedicalMilitia

There isn't much info on using ganja in beer. So I made beer with ganja instead of hops. I put a whole ounce of ganja in the boil instead of hops (bittering) and it didn't come out that good. It didn't get you high either. So, don't waste your time, I wasted time and an ounce.

I figured people make tea with it and get messed up but it doesn't work in beer making. It did smell a little of it though. Conventional wisdom... it is fat and oil soluble not water soluble. I gave it a go, and it failed.

You should have decarboxylated your cannabis prior to adding to the mix.