What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Start indoor and flowering out...

O

Odisseo86

I'm going to start my autoflowering in indoor, for about 30/5 days ... then they'll go outdoor in the ground...

for the indoor period (duration 30/5 days) are enough pots with a capacity of 3.6 liters (1 gal)?

pass from a photoperiod of 24h of light in indoor to an outdoor one with 15 h, stressing the plants excessively? Should I use a photoperiod closer to the outdoor one?

sorry for my bad english

O

Odisseo86

OK thanks. for knowledge ... transplanting later I would risk to block it because it started flowering? would it happen even if I used a non-invasive transplant (example: cut pot)?

O

Odisseo86

I found 8-liter pots (2.1 gal) that have a diameter just slightly larger than those from 1 gal, but are much more funds (15x13x43cm)... so I would take up just a little more space... do you think it is preferable to use the latter from 2 gal?

Funkalicious

If you are going to transplant into the ground you don't need to start with a big pot.
1 gallon pot is plenty for 3-4 weeks of age. I ussually just use a beer cup 2 or 3 weeks and is about perfect.

Peace GG
Thanks @gorilla ganja for the input, I was in the same situation with transplanting into the ground. So you use beer cups, is that about 0.5L capacity? Just so I understand fully.

I could try this next time! I think i could boost yield by slightly increasing pot size & planting out at 3 weeks like you suggested.. I was using pretty small pots to start em off, oops.

Damn realised this is an old thread, double woops haha!

Last edited:

gorilla ganja

@Funkalicious - Are you taking autos? If so, I first would recommend no transplanting for maximum growth.
If you have to transplant, my second choice now, if you have to keep them longer, would be a 1- gallon or so pot size that can be planted directly into the ground for no transplant shock. See pic below.
3rd choice, is to transplant earlier. 14 days or less I use small 3- 4 inch soft walled pots (work best) or coco pellets.
Hope this helps.

Not my pic - learned this from 912GreenSkell
ultimate root 1.JPG

These also work well and are cheap.
mesh pot.jpg

Funkalicious

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Indeed I can't avoid the transplant as we've been trying autos in guerilla.. So need to be discreet and also be strong enough to be pretty much abandoned until harvest.

We will try larger pots (3-4L) but that's hard to fit into a small propagator tent we have. So I may try what you suggested of smaller soft cloth bags and plant ASAP. Maybe try both next year and see what we get!

I'll report back hehehe

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
420giveaway
I experienced the auto repotting shock just myself at my plants, they are totally slowing down to nearly zero growth after that for a week, better start in the final pot from seed. Autos are like divas, the tieing down isn't going well too. :frown:

When the plants should go outdoors, do it no later than 14 to 20 days from seed, better 14 max.

Good Luck. :biggrin:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
I started 3 autos in my tent at the end of April. Since I had culled a male, I had a 3 gal cloth pot filled with coco, so I just subdivided it into 3 with cardboard and put my sprouts into it in my flower tent at 12/12. At around 4 weeks, I moved the pot outside and I hardened them for 4 days - during which time some pinhole eating insect passed through and shredded the leaves. I planted them in lightly conditioned dirt. After a couple of weeks, they started flowering, so I started feeding with a foliar spray of Canna A/B and some Boost every 3 days. They are loving life - even though the site only gets 1/2 sun. You can still see some leaf shred on the bottom leaves.

purp3.jpg

airplane

I found 8-liter pots (2.1 gal) that have a diameter just slightly larger than those from 1 gal, but are much more funds (15x13x43cm)... so I would take up just a little more space... do you think it is preferable to use the latter from 2 gal?
what size pots do you recommend 3 gallon or 5 gallon for a final pot --Also what is the light cycle for auto's 24/0 20/4 18/6 ???