What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fingers crossed for prop 205 in AZ

mofeta

Veteran
Just saw the news. They still have over 350,000 votes to tally in maricopa county.

This is correct. It is not over by a long shot. I suspected this might be the case last night with the bizarrely lopsided vote against 205 in Maricopa county. It didn't make sense, as it should have at least been close.

If you look into the details, I think it is still possible that it could pass. I bet it will be at least close.

Currently, NO has about 83K more votes than YES.

From what I can gather, the votes to be counted break down like this:

470K total broken down into:

415K early ballots of which 200K were mailed in and just hadn't been counted yet, and 215K that were dropped off at polling places.

55K provisional ballots

This is interesting because of the demographics of these different types of ballots. The people that requested early ballots and mailed them in before the election favored Donald Trump and NO on Prop 205. So those 200K uncounted mailed-in ballots should add anywhere from 5K to 10K to the NO side, resulting in an overall lead by NO of 88K to 93K.

The 215K early ballots that were turned in at the polling places on election day are a different story though. Most of these kind of ballots are from a demographic that will heavily favor YES (urban minorities and young people). The way I figure it, a little more than 70% of these would have to be YES to draw even with a NO total of 93K. This is possible. The early ballots turned in to polling places on election day really do skew very heavily to the right demo for this to be possible.

The provisional ballots are similar. These are ballots from people where there is some irregularity, like they don't have the correct ID or they are not on the roster of the polling location. This demo is mainly comprised of disadvantaged people, minorities, and young people, in other words, YES voters. I think that once the valid provisional ballots are counted, they will favor YES in a similar proportion as the early ballots dropped off at the polling places.

So, don't get your hopes up too much, but it is definitely possible it will pass. I think it will.

Ralp

This is not going to be easy. I believe the profile characteristics you describe in the column categories are not reflective of the marijuana consumer in AZ. I do believe it profiles the average person that it is the majority the dispensaries customer. I also believe that this artificial price structure enables a patient underground to supply the populace. Tho hardly reflects the true face of marijuana consumption in Arizona. Political and income demographics are easy however nondeterministic categories of user. there are other barometers of consumer/user that I believe are more accurate but others pay for that.

This is correct. It is not over by a long
This is interesting because of the demographics of these different types of ballots. The people that requested early ballots and mailed them in before the election favored Donald Trump and NO on Prop 205.

The provisional ballots are similar. These are ballots from people where there is some irregularity, like they don't have the correct ID or they are not on the roster of the polling location. This demo is mainly comprised of disadvantaged people, minorities, and young people,

So, don't get your hopes up too much, but it is definitely possible it will pass. I think it will.

Well final count is in didn't change the ratio much at all.
You know there are some that have managed to live a good prosperous life in AZ all the while using marijuana.

These people buys no less than a pound at a time from long time associates. These Trump supporters as profiled, have watched how marijuana enforcement, court, covert operations, drug counseling, incarceration, RICO, personal rights turned into civil actions, police and judicial corruption.

Now the interest will be to stop all advertising, media print billboards any type of thing that promote how to commit a federal crime has to be child protected away from young eyes and influence. We did it for Tobacco Alcohol Marijuana too or is this a separate but equal thing like the Jim Crow thing or the Clinton Gay Military thing.

There is really only ONE target here get the feds to take off the schedule 1 list. Colorado reduce it right to grow to 6 plants of which only 3 can be in flower no registration required buy and sell seeds. Oregon has suspended its rule roll out on coming in line with Washington. California proposed the same rule but problems now between license to grow and sell are to be given out on the same day.
It is a national rules and standards that MPP is trying to lobby to all state governmental agencies to tailor to their states obligatory responsibilities in respect to how marijuana has been administered both enforcement and judicially by each state.

MPP & ADA both tailored enforcement and business to be tailored to a select few and to make a organization that can be sold on the NYSE. Protected by the harshest noncompliant laws in the country by far. Isolated from the legislature the use of civil powers to conduct covert police operations. Anyone that would go for this is of diminished capacity. We will protect the kiddies and pay for education. Big Tobacco and Monsanto here we come it is ready how much will you pay me for this?

Well Mr Holyoak we will make you a cash offer but really. We will fold you into the corporation and give you stock put you on the board with a annual salary car ins travel entertainment and hey if our lifestyle gets to much we can always raise the price.

Like it has been done and we should keep doing, that in the food chain as if there was not wrong in the first place should be kept and maintained.:tumbleweed:

Ralp

With that I will bid this room a goodby I thank You for the time to list with constructive outlines and concerns to the marijuana Issues facing Arizona. My only interest is that laws are applied fairly and equally if not is is government oppression. All societies are built on growth those that are not are quickly assimilated by the ones that have laws.

Prop 205 was not fairness but attempting to sell the ability to control human behavior. Doing so by building controlling & market forces and enforcement for noncompliance. For a seed what it produce worried that it might upset market and it's forces of protection. This is just not right Arizona can get it right this next 2 years will be all telling and worth the wait.

If you are a consumer and use is about an ounce of flower a month the 15% excise tax and the 10% sales tax = 28% tax @ POS with the attributed impact fees/taxes applied for all the other license and fees attached before it get to the POS the average tax cost at point of sale is about 45% using Washington state averages very similar to arizona tax base. and still the average price per gram is $8.37 for flower. The average income is 1.57 that of the Arizona citizen.

So bottom line if you paid 15% proposed tax you will have paid for the $300.00 medical Marijuana card in 3 months at current tax rates not so expensive after all and hundreds of more protections. Dont be a fool

mofeta

Veteran
Well final count is in didn't change the ratio much at all.

No it isn't.

Helen Purcell said they were able to count approximately 100K of the 470k uncounted ballots a day. Seems like she estimated correctly, as since yesterday, they counted about 94K.

51.7% of the 94K newly counted votes were YES, 48.3% NO, so the ratio was reversed in favor of YES.

If it continues this rate, that won't be good enough, remember I said a little more than 70% would need to be YES. We have no idea which type of ballot those 94K new votes were though, early mailed in, early dropped off at polling station, or provisional. My guess is that they were mainly early mailed-in (NO demographic) with a few early dropped off or provisional (YES demographic) mixed in.

The picture will become clear over the next couple of days.

igrowone

Veteran
let me add a little NY feeling on this
it ain't over till it's over
4 is a grand slam, but 5 is even sweeter(nevada, maine, massachusetts, california, and arizona)

rolandomota

Man what A bummer I thought az was for sure since all possession is a felony but then again all those potential yes votes were silenced because it's a felony to have any amount of weed. They will pass it next time I'm almost sure of it.

paper thorn

Veteran
mofeta said:
The provisional ballots are similar. These are ballots from people where there is some irregularity, like they don't have the correct ID or they are not on the roster of the polling location. This demo is mainly comprised of disadvantaged people, minorities, and young people,

OK, first, I have to address this myth.

Seems to be the mainstream mantra.

Minorities have driver's licences just like 'white folks'

so do 18 year olds.

jeesh

Now to 205

Republicans did campaign against 205. The voters against it on the Rep. side were by peeps who never read word one of the prop.

These are antis and NEVER would have voted FOR legalization.

I'm a Republican and I voted FOR 205, as did all the other Republicans that I know. A couple were hard sales, but I brought them around.

Here's the thing though. This gets surprised looks from all the non 205 voters I've met the last few days.

The reason 205 failed is not because the people who would vote no regardless voted no, but because the pro pot people voted no.

The voter guide that the state sent out had 'FOR and 'AGAINST' arguments. The against arguments you expect are from dickheads like Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery. Full of lies about how it would be the Wild West.

The Republicans were preaching to the choir though, those folks were antis already.

A guy named James Feder? had over half of the arguments AGAINST from a pro pot point of view. He said it's phony legalization and was too restrictive.

The PRO POT guys who led the charge AGAINST 205 were going directly after the YES votes.

That's why 205 lost.

Be lucky to have home grows at all next go-round.

The media will say the law was too liberal and that's why it lost, so they'll make the next prop suck way worse.

thanks pro pot NO voters. dicks.

mofeta

Veteran
OK, first, I have to address this myth.

Seems to be the mainstream mantra.

Minorities have driver's licences just like 'white folks'

so do 18 year olds.

jeesh

Hi paper thorn

Sorry, but you are wrong. Yes most minorities and young people have ID, know where their correct polling station is, etc. Here is a funny video about just that:

But, STATISTICALLY (looking at the wider canvas) the highest proportion of provisional ballots are cast in precincts that lean Democrat, are poor, have high % of minorities (in Arizona mainly Hispanics) and Section 203 areas (the areas where the feds require bilingual ballots in whatever language the people speak there). The lowest number of provisional ballots are cast in precincts that lean Republican, are white, and affluent. This is irrefutable. There is less robust, yet still convincing (to me) data showing that young people cast more provisional ballots than older people.

I know that most folks are used to seeing this information in the context of a liberal Dem making a case for basically letting anyone who shows up at a polling place to vote. (Believe me, that isn't me.) That doesn't make the data incorrect, however.

It also happens to be the case that that same demographic that has higher frequency of provisional ballots is more likely to vote YES on drug law reform than the demographic that casts less provisional ballots. The correlation is less pronounced than with who casts the provisionals, because white, affluent, Dem voters tend to favor drug law reform too.

Attachments

• Ami Horowitz- How white liberals really view black voters.jpg
    Ami Horowitz- How white liberals really view black voters.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 16

mofeta

Veteran
Now to 205

Republicans did campaign against 205. The voters against it on the Rep. side were by peeps who never read word one of the prop.

These are antis and NEVER would have voted FOR legalization.

I'm a Republican and I voted FOR 205, as did all the other Republicans that I know. A couple were hard sales, but I brought them around.

Here's the thing though. This gets surprised looks from all the non 205 voters I've met the last few days.

The reason 205 failed is not because the people who would vote no regardless voted no, but because the pro pot people voted no.

The voter guide that the state sent out had 'FOR and 'AGAINST' arguments. The against arguments you expect are from dickheads like Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery. Full of lies about how it would be the Wild West.

The Republicans were preaching to the choir though, those folks were antis already.

A guy named James Feder? had over half of the arguments AGAINST from a pro pot point of view. He said it's phony legalization and was too restrictive.

The PRO POT guys who led the charge AGAINST 205 were going directly after the YES votes.

That's why 205 lost.

Be lucky to have home grows at all next go-round.

The media will say the law was too liberal and that's why it lost, so they'll make the next prop suck way worse.

thanks pro pot NO voters. dicks.

First of all, technically, it has not failed yet. There are still several hundred thousand votes to be counted. It does look improbable, but still is possible.

I didn't have time to reply to Ralp when he said the same thing you are saying:

Do you want a hard reality, it was approximately 7/8% of the MMJ card holders that were passionate of defeating this 205. That in their sphere of peers that swung 3+ people around them to a no vote.

So 95,000 mmj card holders @ 7% of them influencing them plus 3 others that would have swung 28,000 from the no to the the yea and won.

This is very possible. These voters certainly made up at least some proportion of the NO votes. I was almost one of them. I feel the initiative was terrible, and that a lot (most) of the points that the "pro-legalization, anti 205" people made are correct. Once the counting is complete, we will have a better idea of whether this faction was determinative. If it is really close, then they probably are responsible for killing it. If it is still at a margin like now though, over 80,000 more NO votes, then they didn't matter, it would have died even if they voted YES.

And as for it being "luck" that determines what the next voter ballot initiative in 2018, that isn't the way it works. Citizens work hard to write these initiatives, get them on the ballot and then campaign for them. The smartest ones that work hardest win.

If you really want to have a good recreational marijuana law in AZ, find some of the dicks who you feel shot this one down, shake hands with them and get to work on the 2018 initiative. I am pretty sure that they would like to have a law that was home-grow ONLY, no commercial operations and giant new big-government style regulatory agencies. Just one page, allowing possession of reasonable amounts on the street, allowing the cultivation of a reasonable number of plants at your residence (say 12 or so) and allowing you to keep all that you grow at home. I haven't polled this or anything, but my feeling is that something like that would pass in a heartbeat by a substantial margin.

Something even easier, and still very good, would be an initiative that would be very short, like one paragraph, that amended the medical law by removing the 25 mile limit, and allowing the patient to keep at home all of the weed his 12 plants produced. I feel that this would sail right through to victory. I can imagine a commercial featuring a disabled 'Nam vet that finds profound relief in marijuana explaining to Joe (and Jane) Q. Public how just absolutely insanely high the dispensary prices are. Or a mother with a child that has 50 seizures a day. Slam dunk win.

waveguide

Veteran
it's just a waste of time to say anything, malice sees everything as an opportunity for it's "ingenious manipulations".

Ralp

The plum on the tree now is changing the scheduling from 1. Nothing can happen on a Federal level. Trade (hemp textiles) Intellectual properties as to medical applications, patient & copyright licenses. Eliminating the trade and criminal discrepancies from state to state to allow interstate commerce with products. Set up a consortium of Marijuana industry and state officials to align testing distribution such as the FDA/USDA programs will be implicated.

As it stands now medical will take a new twist with pain management. As introduced such standards will be implemented with varied degrees say 1>4.
Level 1- require DEA certified prescriber a 3 month supply and administered through established pharmacological medical distribution networks. NO SMOKABLES.
Level 2- Same as above strain specific and followed to compile data, 6 months terms of prescription
Level 3- To allow for both recreational and prescription on a psychological level. This will be completely tax free and tightly monitored the cost to be paid for by the recreational. People with this classification will be allowed the amount of prescribed by parameters. This will study the complement or conflict with psychotropic procedures and regiments. (TBD)
Level 4- A complete 100 access to any and all Marijuana Cannabis product with any form of administration to the body possible. This will be given sparsely by new DEA guidelines terminally ill, special nerve, severe and long term conditions etc.

This is being proposed it will quill so much of the protest and the restrictive process now going on. The question which candidate do you think would have hand their out for kick back and crony capitalism.

rolandomota

I think that a national marijuana legalization vote is needed but it's not possible right now or ever for that matter forget all the medical studies they have proven that it's pretty safe to consume weed if your sick then a for a healthy person it is even safer. It's just so stupid to keep arresting people for something that's legal in other states no matter what excuse the cops can come up with. I guess slowly all the states that can vote to legalize will do so. Latter we will see half the nation with legal weed.

We should Be able to amend the constitution federally by a majority vote of the people in this country just like they do with state constitutions the fact that we can't do that really bothers me.

Ralp

One of the biggest myths is the arresting people for posession or smoking marijuana alone. IT JUST DON'T HAPPEN. I would like to see even a arrest for growing 12 plants with no other charges levied like sales, not confined, and access to children or some other related offences. Ask that advocate they have in PHX he has a account with Westlaw & onto Justice Dept database that monitor county arrest records. Even when you watch that video of JP Holyoak with Bill Montgomery you will see how prosecution was being addressed. This was redacted edited out by the AZ Republic for the reason as it will compel people to grow and entice them to break federal law.

This failure of prop 205 saved the people in Arizona even if they didn't know the wolf was at the door. In the next 2 years Marijuana and people's rights will be averaged out with reciprocity rights from state to state. Each state folding the acceptance into its state legislative structure.

Arizona tried to build it's own exclusive department to negotiate on a federal level for market constraints and exclusive boundaries. A separate government to collect taxes fines court costs then allocate monies. FUCK THAT fix your government minions dont try and game the populace.

Now in Arizona Marijuana is being distributed into the populace via the Medical Marijuana program. The people that want to get and consume marijuana in Arizona can easily get it. Aside from the confiscations at the border there is virtually no cartel marijuana coming to market in Arizona.

FrankieR35

Even though it didn't pass this time, it will be back on the ballot again in AZ. When it does pass I hope that it will be more beneficial to the people of AZ and not just the ones who wrote it.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
One of the biggest myths is the arresting people for posession or smoking marijuana alone. IT JUST DON'T HAPPEN.

people keep saying this. they said it in California too, even after seeing the arrest numbers. "i just don't believe it!" :biggrin:

Ralp

STRONGLY support the legalization of marijuana but I'm voting no on Prop 205. I'm not a prohibitionist. I think the reefer madness propaganda campaign against Prop 205 is ridiculous. I'm naturopathic physician that provides medical marijuana certifications. I believe in medical marijuana - like many I have seen the miracles of this plant. I believe in recreational marijuana too - just not this way.

First, props to all the hard work done throughout the state in efforts to get legalizing marijuana on the ballot. There are many reasons why I'm voting no THIS time. (I'm intentionally avoiding the legal points because Im not a lawyer. But its important to remember that minor infractions can lead easily lead to felonies). I'll boil it down to a few points against 205 that aren't talked about

This is not a step forward. Many folks I hear that are voting YES say its not a perfect law but a step forward - "we can change it later." If this law passes - we are stuck with it. This law is a VOTERS INITIATIVE - It can be changed by only 2 nearly impossible ways.

1) The Arizona Senate/Legislation

a) By a super majority vote (2/3+)

Pass an change that "furthers the intent" of the initiative.

A New initiative—starting all over—back to the streets collecting signatures and back to re-writing the proposition. Arizona legislation to date has NOT been an overwhelming strong supporter of medical OR recreational marijuana. The chance of change through the ladies and men in Phoenix currently is slim to none (especially with the needs to get a 2/3 majority vote). A new voters initiative? If the law passes there will be less incentive to make this happen. I fear people will become complacent with a law that is less than mediocre.

The Department of Marijuana licenses and Control: These are the folks that will be appointed by the Governor and will take over both the medical and recreational marijuana programs. They can amend any of the rules of the medical marijuana program and will take over all the monies. The governing board of this department will consist of the director and the marijuana commission - that consists of 7 members (4 of which have NO financial interest in any marijuana establishments and 3 that DO).The Governor will appoint an Enforcement Officer that will have "all the powers and duties of a peace officer" and create an internal task force for policing illegal activity. If this prop is the legalization of marijuana then why are we OK with creating more policing of marijuana activity? Why are individuals with financial ties to dispensaries allowed to make up almost 50% of the governing body? This is a frighting amount of control. Its too much overlap between the governing board, the making and the enforcement the rules and who they are governing and making the rules for.

Virtual elimination of free enterprise: There will be more jobs if prop 205 passes but there won't be ANY new businesses until 2021. 2017-2021 all the licenses for recreational marijuana will solely be given to CURRENT medical marijuana dispensaries. In 2021 The Department of Marijuana licenses and Control may begin to accept new applications for marijuana establishments, but if they have greater applications than allowable, any application that is from a previous medical marijuana dispensary will be chosen first over any new folks that are competing for an application - this is forever.

Laws of licenses for cultivation are also skewed towards current medical marijuana dispensaries. It will be a tiered system. Only the highest tier, allowing UNLIMITED marijuana production, will be given to the current dispensaries— everyone else will have restrictions.

As physician and someone that believes in small business I will not support this. There are many talented people that didn't have the $150,000, the luck of the lottery system to 'win' the opportunity of a medical marijuana dispensary, and people that aren't even born yet that will have a major disadvantage in the future business of the marijuana industry. Simply because the laws strongly support the current dispensaries. Like any business dispensaries across the board vary in quality and service. This has been a great frustration. Lives have been saved and radically changed for the better with help from many dispensaries. There has also been situations where MEDICAL cannabis has contained mold, fungus, bugs, situations of poor information and people ripped off (80 year old woman with stage 3 lung cancer that bought $2100 of concentrated hemp oil believing it was a cancer cure comes to mind). Even if every current dispensary was perfect—they still deserve competition - immediately and the in future.

Competition will allow the best to rise to the top. Get out and vote and vote educated.

—Heather Moroso

Ralp

Yeah,maybe SaferAZ won't trip over their dick this time.

Maybe, I am sure you would like to volunteer and they can count on your support both in the community and as a signature gatherer. Then you can make sure it gets counted and delivered. By the way make sure you get your Notary cert so you can validate certs.

I hope you're not one of the dicks they tripped over trying to nego. then kicked out and had to try and grab a competing with no money or organization.

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
Ralp,thanks for the level headed comments. I sometimes lost you with the yelling.

I realize I probably know only a fraction of what goes on behind the scene with our az prop drive. I made the comment about safer because I saw alot of intention but not alot of cohesive community effort. We had their petition, earnestly got people to sign, and no show by safer. They never collected the petitions and took their ball and left. It seems their attitude was...move along kid talk to me when you grow up.

It takes a special kind of person to be on the front line. So I say 'thank you safer, I appreciate your effort'.
my efforts were more along the lines of...howdy my neighbor,I know you are 84 but would you consider voting for our side?

Different strokes for different folks.