What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

8k ebb and grow.. first attempt at hydro!

shredGnar

What's up guys, first post here at icmag..

I'm very new to the size of this set-up, and even newer to hydro so I have some questions along the way

anyway here's a little info on the setup...

room is 10x20 with 10x16 being utilized right now, plan on adding an additional 2k on top of the 8k right now and filling out the whole room.

Running 40 plants with two reservoirs using an ebb and flow system.

Have a 3 ton ac to cool the place (gets hot inside the warehouse during summer) and 1 12" fan on each row of four lights, and one 12" venting the room (although the room is not sealed atm so they all three vent)

Have a sentinel controller and 12 burner, which will be turned on during flowering. The room will be sealed at this point as well.

Temps stay in check around 75 degrees, lights are on 24/7 atm and will be switched to 12/12 in the next day or two

any way enough babbling here's the pics already

shredGnar

I went to user menu- old gallery. Then I tried to upload photos, every time I try and upload I get an error message. Am I doing something wrong?

The message I receive is

/data/web/icmag/icmag.com/www/gallery/uploads/274367: Error creating directory (check permissions).

Please notify the System Administrator.

shredGnar

Ah yes! haha excuse my ignorance, I'm used to 420mag and it's a bit different over there..

anyway I got them uploaded, here are the pics already!!

Here are the seedlings at about 2 weeks..

picture.php

And approx. 6 weeks later

picture.php

picture.php

shredGnar

Some snaps of the room...

picture.php

picture.php

Here is the big boy A/C and the intakes drawing in air from outside. When the burner is turned on we will attach the ducting to the two first hood, sealing the room.

picture.php

shredGnar

Now please, feedback!!

My plants seem to be yellowing a bit, I will snap some pics right before lights come on tonight and post them along with the res temps/pH/EC readings..

shredGnar

House and garden for the nutes.

Was running the whole line, have since dropped roots excel. (used until about 2 weeks ago, I don't think it's necessary after they've gotten their roots established..)

Thinking about skipping the shooting powder and just using maxi and koolbloom.. just because of the $$ difference

shredGnar

Here's some pics after the first day of lights out, and some haircuts! Only did half the room, the rest will have to wait until sunday

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

shredGnar

Here are the pics of the yellowing I was talking about..

picture.php

and a different plant
picture.php

STATS from today from the res that hold these plants..

EC 1.7
Temp 60 (colder than usual..assuming because the lights were out for 12 hours for the first time)
pH 6.5 .. a little high but I brought it down to 6.2 with some natural down..

EDIT: The drain pumps (in the controller bucket) failed and the buckets were filled for several hours, and they all appeared to be over watered. Any fix for this? They seem to be perking up now..
any suggestions??

Herbophile

Nice room. I've never run to this scale but I do use a cap ebb and grow system and I'm a Maxibloom only user for ease of use. And it's cheap as you said. It's as easy as it gets in my experience.

My process in flower is I fill a new res with 7g/gallon and just add back plain water for 5-7 days and then do a res change. I flood every 4 hours for 15 minutes lights on and 1 time lights off. I consistently pull almost 2lb/1k doing this. This is strain dependent of course.

I run 14 plants under a 2k and I veg them to about 12-15 inches or so. When I drop the plants into the buckets I only veg them for about 4-7 days before I flip to 12/12.

I always run my ph from 5.5 to 6.0.

shredGnar

Nice room. I've never run to this scale but I do use a cap ebb and grow system and I'm a Maxibloom only user for ease of use. And it's cheap as you said. It's as easy as it gets in my experience.

My process in flower is I fill a new res with 7g/gallon and just add back plain water for 5-7 days and then do a res change. I flood every 4 hours for 15 minutes lights on and 1 time lights off. I consistently pull almost 2lb/1k doing this. This is strain dependent of course.

I run 14 plants under a 2k and I veg them to about 12-15 inches or so. When I drop the plants into the buckets I only veg them for about 4-7 days before I flip to 12/12.

I always run my ph from 5.5 to 6.0.

Appreciate the advice...

you say they are flowered at 12-15 inches but are only verged in the buckets for a week.. do you veg them in rockwool before? If so what size?..
that's my plan for next bloom.. I just took about 38 clones of pineapple..planning on running 30 under 4k next run

SensiBC

EC 1.7
Temp 60 (colder than usual..assuming because the lights were out for 12 hours for the first time)
pH 6.5 .. a little high but I brought it down to 6.2 with some natural down..

EDIT: The drain pumps (in the controller bucket) failed and the buckets were filled for several hours, and they all appeared to be over watered. Any fix for this? They seem to be perking up now..
any suggestions??

Your Ph is too high for hydroponics, so the yellowing you're seeing may very well be due to that. 5.5-5.8 is supposedly the Hydro sweet spot, with a lot of people tending to start at 5.2 and letting the ph naturally drift to 6.0 before ph-ing it back down again.

6.2-6.8 is more of a soil ph range, so if you're running E&F I'd get it lower.

As far as the pump failing and the plants exhibiting overwatering symptoms, they were probably just experiencing a lack of dissolved oxygen. Assuming you've gotten the pump working again, your res temps are cool enough, and everything is functioning as it should, they'll probably be ok.

Herbophile

I normally get roots in an EZ Clone then put them in 4x4 pots of hydroton on a small flood and drain table until they are 12-15 then transplant into the buckets. Then I veg for 5-7 days, then flip. It's been working real well but I'm now trying to do my cloning and veging in cups of coco to reduce the equipment and maintenance. I'm on my first run right now using the coco.

You said the drain pump failed to drain. What did you do to fix it? Sometimes if you fiddle with the pump between cycles it'll get an air bubble in the pump and cause it to not drain. Just a thought. Anytime I clean or move them I make sure I'm there on the next drain cycle to make sure they are working.

Latest posts

Latest posts