What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

guess who's back?

Dr. Dee Snutz

just kiddin :p

got a quick question for yall that i need answered within the next couple of hours.

my buddy has been having trouble with cloning in his aeroponic bubbler.

he keeps getting that clear/brownish slime on the cuttings right as soon as they are about to sprout roots. only his clones have the problem though. all his other stuff is 100% healthy. his cloning rate is horrible though (like 10%)

he is using the clonex liquid. i used the stuff way back in the day and never had too many problems with it, but he can't seem to catch a break.

i think it's either because the temps are too hot (high 80's) or the dirty bastard doesn't wash his hands often enough :p

it might be the clonex though. it has little "sperm" like shit and black specs floating around in it. i remember it looking like clear golden piss but my memory aint my best attribute.

anyways, some suggestions would be appreciated.

OG

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
clean the system out pump air stone everything... i recommend with h202 then get them temps down to 76-80 degrees high 80's is exactly whats wrong but since youve had slime for a while cleaning the whole system would be worth it...

i should mention when im talking temps in a aero cloner i mean water temps not the temps of the room the cloner is in...

however the cloner will have to be in a room that is decently cool to stay in good temps. heaters will help if its too cold.

Dr. Dee Snutz

yall think several hours soaking in anti-bacterial dish detergent and a good scrub and rinse would kill all the bad shit?

no h202 on hand

thanks for the quick responses :)

SnowGro

I'd be a little wary of a prepared product that isn't uniform. Is there any date on the bottle?
A layered separation is one thing, but chunky is quite another.

Dr. Dee Snutz

I'd be a little wary of a prepared product that isn't uniform. Is there any date on the bottle?
A layered separation is one thing, but chunky is quite another.

no date, but he said he says it's definitely older than a year. it's a shame too cuz he has a bunch left. my reccomendation was to drop some dough on a small bottle of fresh stuff and see if it makes a difference. is there anything higher rated these days then clonex?

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
i personally use clone x and have absolutely no probs with it... ive heard of people using hydrogaurd in it too... but honostly they should root in freaking tap water.... lol but really get them temps down to aroudn 80 you can clean with bleach... but if you do then you need to clean and rinse and run water 2 or 3 times to make sure all the bleach is gone....

then water clone x and clones....

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Dr dees snutz, is that really you ? :dance013:

No it, it just cant be ? :faint:

I've been doing aero cloning a loooong time, and one things for certain, additives aren't needed for aero cloning.
They'll usually cause slime problems and failures cloning.

Running only tap water and phosphoric acid as a pH down is all the nutrition the cuttings will need while they're forming adequate roots to get them transplanted into your medium of choice. The pH down after all IS a nutrient Phosphorus, which is exactly what the cuttings will be looking for early in callous and root development.

So if it were me having the slime problems you've had... I would...
Sterilize that cloner with physan20 or diluted household bleach including all the components.
Let the air stones soak a while and cycle some air through them in the cleaning solution and also in the rinse water.
Rinse everything very thoroughly with tap water.

Forget about trying to run clonex or any other rooting hormones.
No nutes either not needed until they are rooted as I mentioned above.

Run the cloner on straight tap water, pH it to 5.5
The trace amount of chlorine in your tap water will help keep the cuttings sterile.
Change the water daily for the first couple days for the same reason.

Most important, back away the lights at least two feet away from the cuttings for fluorescents.
Less intense lighting makes roots sooner, with a lot less lower leaf yellowing as they begin forming the callous
(root bumps and swollen stem end) where the roots will soon form.

hth,

ps...
You can substitute distilled or R.O. water if you wish, but add about five eyedropper drops
of household bleach per gallon the first few days for that antiseptic effect.

Last edited:

StellarP

ICMag Donor
As stated, straight water works best, but everything must remain clean.

No mention of pump run times, personally I find 15 min. on 15 min. off works best. YMV.

Does help keep res. temps down but if necessary throw a few ice cubes in there.

Good Luck
StellarP

Dr. Dee Snutz

Dr dees snutz, is that really you ? :dance013:

No it, it just cant be ? :faint:

the one and only

i can't tell you how suprised i was that i remembered my password :p

i'll tell my buddy to try both the solution and plain tap water since he has 2 cloners tubs.

thanks for the help guys.

see you again in another 6 years :wave: