What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone here use 100% perlite as a medium...

Xare

I did a Side By Side compairison of 100% perlite Hempy vs 75%perlite/25%vermiculite hempy.

The 75/25 substrate mix was better.

It allowed the roots to propagate throughout the entire media, while in contrast the 100% perlite hempy roots grew in a mat just above the rez line.

Feel free to try it yourself. I used narrow pots ( 2 liter bottles )

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I used to just fill 4x8 tables with it, worked great ebb&flow style. Sump pump had no problem with perlite.

No kidding! I wouldn't think it would act that way. Now, I've got to try it out. Did you use any containers (net pots, etc..) or just plant in the table itself? That's really interesting to me. I've got a table that I do tomatoes and peppers in and have just removed all the containers and planted bare root on the table filled with hydroton....results have yet to be seen.

jescowhite

I actually filled the tables with perlite. I was using rockwool blocks at the time, i'd bury about a 1/3 of the cube. I flooded the tray once a day.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
man that is awesome! I had no idea you could do it that way. Thanks for the information.

*mistress*

Veteran
:yes:

hand-watered ever 3-4 days. letting it sit in bucket of water over night will make dust/fine particles fall to bottom. strain. less compaction when placed in containers.

this may be helpful:
~SYK~ loves the perlite for kbs/freedom buckets. if like big plants, too.

SYK's Killer Bucket System (KBS) Suggestion/Discussion Thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=121419

enjoy your garden!

Latest posts

Latest posts