What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Getting Rid Of Old HPS Bulbs?

H

Hazeseeker

Hi all,
i've just bought myself a new HPS bulb and a new MH bulb so i'll be getting rid of my old HPS bulb, is it ok to just put them out with the rubbish or do you have to get rid of them another way?, Hazeseeker

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I don't think they make good landfill material but, I'm no scientist. Many communities have a special hazardous waste day for things like this, old TVs, lead based paints, etc. Call your local trash service and say you have a ton of batteries or flourescent lamps and see what they say.

joder156

Most light bulbs are best recycled. There are certain chemicals in lights that are hazardous. I believe some bulbs may contain mercury?

jcdem

many of these bulbs contain hazardous materials and should not just be thrown in the garbage if you care about the environment. some manufacturers, like Sylvania, offer EPA compliant bulbs that do not contain hazardous materials.

SoEx

HPS Bulbs contain Mercury as well as Sodium. (Xenon, too, but that's no big deal). Check with whichever authority you'd recycle an old CRT monitor or TV for advice on how to dispose of them.

G

Or, put them on Craigs List free board - maybe your throw aways are better than what he has.

There are a lot of used bulbs that sell on eBay 1000W hortilux for 10 to 15 dollars.

Most output consisious growers replace lights that are dowm, maybe 10-15%?

The bulb is still good - just not as good as a new one.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
if theye not actually worn out blown dead, then it might be worth hanging on the them, as you never know when you need a spare...even if it is only giving a percentage of its output, it buys you time to buy a new one its better than light cycle interruption.