What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oink.cd busted by Dutch & British pig cops

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
International raids target music piracy site
Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:23am BST

LONDON (Reuters) - British and Dutch police shut down one of the world's largest sources of illegal pre-release music on Tuesday and arrested a 24-year-old man.

The raids, in Amsterdam and Middlesbrough, followed a two-year investigation into a members-only Web site, www.OiNK.cd, which allowed users to upload and download albums before their release.

An estimated 180,000 members of the site paid "donations" via debit or credit cards, ensuring that they could continue to access the site and its catalogue of music and other media.

The site provided access to more than 60 albums before their release this year, according to industry experts.

"OiNK was central to the illegal distribution of pre-release music online," said Jeremy Banks, head of the anti-piracy unit at the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), which helped in the investigation.

"This was not a case of friends sharing music for pleasure. This was a worldwide network that got hold of music they did not own the rights to and posted it online."

Pre-release leaks have become one of the most damaging forms of piracy for the music industry which is struggling with falling sales worldwide -- recorded music sales have fallen by more than a third in the last six years, the industry says.

As opposed to illegal sharing of music after its release, pre-release piracy is seen as particularly damaging because it leads to unauthorised mixes or unfinished versions of artists' recordings appearing on line.

Often it is those in the industry, who get promotional or demonstration copies of albums before their release, who are involved in leaking them to Web sites such as OiNK.

British police said they arrested the 24-year-old on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and infringement of copyright law. He was the only person arrested in the raids. Dutch police seized servers and other computer equipment.

The shutting down of OiNK comes at a time when artists are themselves experimenting with new ways of distributing their music, sometimes for free over the Internet.

Radiohead released its latest album on the Internet and invited fans to pay a donation to download it.

Such techniques have frustrated the music industry which is struggling to come up with ways to regenerate revenue.

I see the large record companies like Sony-BMG as criminal fukcers. Ppl with no talent (other then banking) cashing in on other peoples talent and/or pumping the market full of Britney Spears' like ppl and taking money away from unsuspecting kids.
Also they stand in the way of technology, trying to push their shit like it was still the 80's. Who in their right mind wants to go thru the trouble of actually going out to buy music and spending some 20 bucks on some stuff you will propably hate in say 2 years time. (i'm talking new music) Specially when you can download the same shit before it's released, and never leave the house.
I do get that the artists must live and feed their kids too, but come on. The record companies/distributors time is over. Useless 80's oldie middle men who have no use in todays music business (in the perfect world)
Not to mention artist like that drummer guy from metallica, human carbage. How much is enough? This guy has like 4 houses around the world and still whines about kids downloading their music.

Big up to people like Radiohead and Chuck D of Public Enemy for trying new things out like sharing for free and asking for donations.
Taking it back to the days when musicians would play the streets and you toss a coin in their hat if you liked the stuff they play. :smile:

The point of this post? I know i had one, but all this useless ranting made me forgot it. But i'ma go with fuk the music industry bankers, yer time is up son.

Long live P2P networks. If the cops think it's over now. Mwahhahahahaha..
Think again.

Sorry about ranting and raving. Figured some of yas might have been oink users and didn't know about this.
:puppydoge

BadTee out like Biggie Smalls

D

DogBoy

For me P2P was always about sharing and not charging to make a profit on what was shared. Profitmaking is not part of the P2P sharing experience. Once you add commercial aspects to anything it ruins it.

S4vvy

Damn. I had an account there with a terrible ratio too. Oh well. Haven't been feeling good about downloading stuff for free lately. It is technically wrong...

BadKarma

I'm wondering if you had a large grow going you know something you had invested 6 months in and a shitload of money and just before you harvested I decided to "share" it with my friends. Would you think that was cool?

Stealing is stealing man thats all there is to it.

waydee

Bad day :(

I really hate how BBC (or the police, probably more likely) are making out that oink was run for profit, way to report bullshit and make oink out to be something it definately wasn't.

waydee

DogBoy said:
For me P2P was always about sharing and not charging to make a profit on what was shared. Profitmaking is not part of the P2P sharing experience. Once you add commercial aspects to anything it ruins it.

There was no profit made from oink, it was not a commercial operation.

Oink was perhaps the very best example of a commited user base sharing with each other, there was no charge. You could donate to the cause if you wished (hosting such a site isn't cheap).

Nothing was hosted on oink, it merely provided links to instruct your computer to begin downloading and sharing with other users - he'll likely be charged with facilitation of copyright infringement which is such a bullshit charge it amazes me.

The only people who had anything to do with oink who maybe should have been raided by the police were the very top uploaders, the guys who were supplying the music. I imagine those very same guys are a bit worried right now, there would have been a lot of site records siezed in the raid - if you're on that list of top uploaders i'd be getting on a plane to sweden or getting rid of your shit asap.

D

DogBoy

I apologise if i was misinformed and i guess i should know better than to trust the BBC's take on it. I was under the impression you needed to contribute regularly to ensure continued access? Is that not how it was run? I'm keen to hear the other side of the story if you know it. The BBC's take may well be wrong as you say.

waydee

Oink was 100% free, there was no pay-for-access thing. You were encouraged to donate if you liked the place but it was in no way a requirement. All you needed to do to ensure future access to the site was to be sure to seed all your torrents to at least a 1.000 ratio - i.e share what you download.

Kept it nice and fast, unlike public torrents where theres no incentive to share.

Wasn't ragging on you man, just BBC hit a nerve there :p

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Piracy is piracy fycking period!

to say that the record companies are thieves is 'the pot calling the kettle black'. Those artists need record sales to survive, so someone figures out a way to fyck them and you're willing to jump in with both feet. NICE!

What if I came into your garden and helped myself to a few of your precious plants? After all they grow for free BadTicket.......

YOU CANNOT JUSTIFY YOUR THIEVERY, except that you're just a cheapo <-(I cleaned that up) not willing to pay for his music & ya have a bad attitude about it (your attempt to justify it) too.

Now, I'm not saying you're a bad person bro, just that you're screwing everyone down the line in the music biz right down to the artists. If one entity or another really weren't needed in that industry it would be gone & prices of tunes might go down, but that's not the case.
Wanna help the artists directly? Buy concert tickets & buy a CD or two there at the show, they get their own specially priced CD pressings for that reason alone, even cooler is that some of these pressings have HUGE collector value down the road (German, UK, & Japanese pressings) then go ahead & burn your legit bought CDs & sell the original via eBay....... be there or be square!

I know about some of these particulars from
my friend, the promoter of the Jam.

www.moondancejam.com

If EVERY case of piracy & sharing were to stop & everyone had to buy their tunes either online or in-store then the prices would drop drastically....... period! More than anything else today the price per unit (per CD sold) has taken the biggest jump in price due to sharing PLUS the costs of the measures that recording companies are forced to take to defeat these P2P/sharing sites.
DOES ANY OF THAT MAKE SENSE?

Just because something is VERY EASY to do & damned near anonymous (for offenders to use) as millions are doing it doesn't make it right! If this crime were to carry the same fines/punishment as shoplifting does, if the police were allowed to step in IMMEDIATELY upon your IP addy being forwarded to them it would likely end the shit now.

So if you do want the police policing the internet (NOBODY WANTS THAT!) then keep on keepin on brothers! You're doing a GREAT job of drawing the authorities farther into the controlling of the goings on on the net.......

Yes I have a DVD recorder w/ a built in hard drive, yup I record the Sopranos, but I pay to watch it on HBO first. I consider anything I've paid for once as fair game....... I do burn some of my 'rare' 'hard to get' expensive DVDs as well, I do it for clean backups of course, but again I've paid for them already. So yes I'm guilty too and I find myself justifying it this way....... I would never BUY the Sopranos DVDs.

I do however buy brand new every movie I've ever loved....... since these pics were taken my collection has probably grown to about 475 DVDs (I have a special 'rider' policy 4 insurance to pay 100% replacement value). My store bought CD collection is in the 600s also, why would you want tunes w/o the jackets anyway? relying on others to tell you who else might've been sitting in on one tracks jam session....... I love the tunes and the details so I pay for it. When I lived in NY I'd was well known @ Bleeker Bobs in the village, they were able to find nearly ALL of my obscure requests.......
HPIM1966.jpg

HPIM1967.jpg

See all of my DVDs? My friends no longer ask to borrow them as I ALWAYS say no. That's right I don't borrow out DVDs or CDs, they don't have legs to walk on home to my crib & so it goes. On the rarest ocassion I'll burn a movie for a friend but they know I make a stink about that too.......

Last edited:

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
The record companies ARE THIEVES! Well most of them anyways..The artists only get a tiny tiny fraction of the profits. Way too little..

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
^^^ Stoner4life dude, i buy most the stuff i really like, even after i have download em, just to support the artist. But not if they are signed to big record companies. If they have like 20 mil to give to Mariah Carey just to get her out of her record deal.. They can do with out my 20 bucks per cd.
To each his own, i don't feel like a thief downloading stuff i wasn't gonna buy anyway.

Here's a link to Trent Reznor talking about his record company robbing people.

blAsia

yeah... credit agencies and background agencies can fvck you over and sell your PERSONAL info without paying US anything. But, we can be arrested for trading fictional works. Our world is screwed. I just found out that the Background Fheads were reporting that I have a Felony --which i don't-- (so every job opp for the past 2 years may have been tainted, yet I can't do anything). Until they straighten out and straighten up the fcking mess they (the gov and really big bus.) have created, I really don't care.

I use Bittorent clients to d/l from several sites. Oh, yeah, like Metallica never copied a song in order to learn the licks/lyrics etc. Who hasn't done that.

I don't really feel like buying an overpriced cd full of songs that I don't know, never heard and that suck. Try before you buy is always good.

WE live in a very unfair world created by $$$$$$$; you tell me who plays "FAIR" without any other notion and I will tell you that they must be a God/Goddess made in perfect form.

Peace

Hate these forums... damn f'in drives my blood pressure up every time I read articles... sucks. Guess I should take a break.

Last edited:

Sardonic

**** **** **** **** SHIT SHIT SHIT JESUS CHRIST NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

this is absolutely heart breaking. my heart goes out to the owner. i've been a member of oink for i don't know how long..solid community

peace :badday:

BadKarma

9Lives said:
The record companies ARE THIEVES! Well most of them anyways..The artists only get a tiny tiny fraction of the profits. Way too little..

And whats left from the record companies you feel is OK to take from the artist? Talk about kicking a brother while he's down.

Ever wonder why so much music sounds the frigging same? Why would anyone invest in something new and risky when some kid is just going to steal it from you?

You have know Idea what your actually doing you just think your sticking it to the man so its "cool".

Listen to yourselves
Your whole story is.... The record company is stealing from the Artist so its ok for me to steal the ARTISTS music. Go figure, that's a frigging strange way of helping the ARTIST.

Last edited:
G

What amazes me is people sticking up for record companies and rappers who literally sit on gold toilets in bathrooms lined with gold. master P has one if you want to check.

Piracy is stealing?! Piracy is the same as stealing someone's crop?! Do you know what data is?! Do you have any idea how stupid that statement is? I've heard sob stories from medical patients who had their crops stolen and are in death invoking pain with no relief. All of those record company execs and artists can take all the money they already made and put it in a 2% interest account and live off the interest better then 80% of americans. They still make money on tours, ad deals, books, movies, ect.

Alot of smaller artists/independent lables encourage you to download their music for free and buy it if you like it. They get MUCH more exposer. I've heard hundreds of bands that i've never seen in stores.

on the other hand master p might have to buy a NORMAL toilet instead of a gold plated one!!

If i could spend six months growing a crop then press ctrl+c then ctrl+v and the WORLD has free weed just tell me where to sign up. You will NOT stop piracy.

you will NEVER elicit sympathy from me because some multimillionaire can't buy a second mansion in Maui. I feel bad for the people who might spend more time in jail then some rapists because they had hyper links on their web page.

For the record I own more DVDs(legit) then i know what to do with and the torrents still keep downloading.

I'll step off my soap box before i get carried away...anymore then i already have.

Last edited:

BrainBoy

I have a limited amount of money, I'm a college student. I love music with all my heart and if I had the money to give to the artists I would buy as many records as I could. But I can't and I like to think that the artists would rather have me listen to their music and messege rather then go on sleepin'.

RIP oink.cd

fr33th3w33d

first off i dont give a **** how bad the music industry is doing, they put out terrible music for profit. what comes around goes around.

anyway, was this the service that was invite only or whatever? cause im pretty sure my friend sent me an invite and i havent quite gotten around to it.. in the case that it is.. sonofabitch.