What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help! how to properly lst or bend 2 weeks into flower

I Smoke Rocks

Ayudame con mis plantas! I am 2 weeks in to flower and my sativas are stretching wayyyyyy past expectations.(about 3 feet) Does anybody have any advice on how to bend them down back to earth, it not really that space is an issue it is just I would like to get better light penetration. Should I lst, top? I just don't want to cause extreme stress during flowering. Peace :wave:

bpo

im wondering the same thing. my sativa is now 28" and growing FAST...it's almost to the top of my light already lol. can i just chop it in half or something? i'm open to any suggestions

G

Im not the most experienced grower on here but if your plants are already in flower topping them is going to decrease your yield because the plants will expend energy making new branches and leaves instead of using it all for bud formation. I would say lst them to achieve your optimum yield. Hope that helps.

G

just crush and roll your stalk about two inch area until its soft then lay it over..it will heal...i abuse the shit out of my branches...i cant find a pic rite now my gallery is to large...time for another acount...peace

You can bend it and tie it up where it is pointing sideways. Be careful about breaking it. Do this with the tall colas and you will get light to the center buds.They will bend and start growing strait up again but will be shorter. You can also break the stem by crushing it lightly with your fingers. You will hear and feel it crush. It will slow its vertical growth and make the bottom buds catch up.

I Smoke Rocks

thanks brainthor, I did the rolly thing on two of them. I've seen it before but didn't know what to do. I was wondering if anyone has ever done what brainthor recommended or has pictures even? thanks for the quick replies. :joint:

AriesXX

I think TaterNoob has the right idea. Some of my Hawaiian Snow plants are already 5 ft tall in flowering and the tops are higher than my light by almost half a foot. I put it against the wall where it wouldn't come into contact with the light. Even though the light isn't hitting the top 7 inches, it is highly focused on the largest area of the plant anyway, got me? I think they'll grow just fine either way unless more than say, 30% of the plant is above the light.

Brainthor- That's some bad-ass plant bondage you got goin' on there :D

Last edited:

smokeymacpot

Veteran
beware.. some stems will not like you rolling them between your fingers.. i did this to one earlier and it split very badly!! so much that it clearly wouldnt have healed!

bend them and tie them down.

AriesXX

Isn't it a matter of breaking the outter husk, while still leaving the hollow center open enough to allow fluid exchange? I'm no weed scientist, but I think as long as the fluids can still flow it will live, if not, the plant will grow closed at the point of the break and the branch after that point will die. Maybe this is why it is better to soften the stem in that two inch area, so it bends rather than crimps like a garden hose? Hmmm.... :joint:

Last edited:
The stem will heal as long as it isn't completely severed....you'd be surprised if you haven't experimented with this. I love a knotted up stem from supercropping.

G

I have a suggestion you could drill a small hole through the top side of your pot,bucket,etc then take your plant and slowly bend it in the directiny you want it to hang but remember anything precious takes time and patience what i've done is bend it several inches then count in my head to 10 then proceed to futher bend it to the direction i want..the reason for this seemingly time consuming practice is to avoid splitting, cracking or snaping the stems remember the stronger the stem the longer the bend time :joint: then just loop a piece of string or whatever and wrap it around your stock then just loop the other end to the pot,bucket,etc it's an awesome practice your plants will grow very uniform and espcially short and bushy! :rasta: :wave:

Last edited:
G

dude i dont feel like searching my gallery rite now but i have split many of stalk and just folded the bitch in half and still got buds bigger than my fist on that top..it really dont matter what you do as long as its still attached...sometimes you mite have to splint for three days if you really **** it up...but if you crush the stem first it keeps the branch from breaking when you fold it it will split sometimes but it dont matter...peace
AriesXX said:
Isn't it a matter of breaking the outter husk, while still leaving the hollow center open enough to allow fluid exchange? I'm no weed scientist, but I think as long as the fluids can still flow it will live, if not, the plant will grow closed at the point of the break and the branch after that point will die. Maybe this is why it is better to soften the stem in that two inch area, so it bends rather than crimps like a garden hose? Hmmm.... :joint:

Last edited:
G

i get split stalks all the time when i bend, they heal and are stronger than before....i also do some lst with a strand of ribbon on colas if they are into flower. see pic

AriesXX

brainthor said:
dude i dont feel like searching my gallery rite now but i have split many of stalk and just folded the bitch in half and still got buds bigger than my fist on that top..it really dont matter what you do as long as its still attached...sometimes you mite have to splint for three days if you really **** it up...but if you crush the stem first it keeps the branch from breaking when you fold it it will split sometimes but it dont matter...peace

Thanks, I've only done this by accident anyway :D Now I know :rasta:

MoleMcHenry

Brainthor and everyone - thanks for the info about this - I think I may have to do this for my White Berry grow. They're gettin close to the light, and I don't want to burn any bud.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
It's called crushing the hurd

It's called crushing the hurd

Doesn't hurt a thing...BC

smokeymacpot

Veteran
brainthor said:
yes it would have

this one was really bad, it was a complete split on both sides of the stem for about 5cm so that when u bent it, both sides opened up. that happened after rolling the stem in my fingers.
the ones i just bent had smaller splits and seem to be doing ok, plants r still growing.