What's new

No more Mr Nice guy: Howard Marks, poster boy for cannabis, doubts safety of drug

No more Mr Nice guy: Howard Marks, poster boy for cannabis, doubts safety of drug

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article3013121.ece

The man who made a career, in and out of prison, from cannabis has for the first time expressed concern about its links to mental illness in the light of reports in The Independent on Sunday.

David Connett reports
Published: 30 September 2007

Howard Marks, the one-time "King of Dope", is a living icon for campaigners for the legalisation of cannabis. But yesterday he admitted for the first time that he is concerned about links between cannabis use and schizophrenia. Marks, better known as Mr Nice – one of 43 aliases he used when running his worldwide drug empire and the title of his best-selling autobiography – said more medical research into the issue is vital. Marks admitted he was uneasy over growing evidence which suggested that being "stoned and being off your head" may be connected. By that, he meant the temporary high from the drug and long-term mental health illness.

Marks, speaking in a TV interview, said: "I think it is difficult to establish whether these two states are similar. If, as a result of smoking a lot of dope, one becomes schizophrenic, that's reason for concern. If being slightly schizophrenic makes you want to smoke some dope to ease you through the day, I don't think that's a cause for concern.

"To find out which of these is true will require research. One has to look into the action [of cannabis] on the brain and what happens."

He said that the reclassification of cannabis from class B to class C in 2004 followed The Independent on Sunday's campaign to legalise the drug. Earlier this year, the newspaper abandoned its stance following growing evidence that cannabis use could lead to greater incidence of psychosis, including schizophrenia.

Marks's comments coincided with Gordon Brown's call for celebrities to speak out against drugs. The Prime Minister emphasised the need for sportsmen, pop stars and other public figures to act as role models for young people and denounce illegal substances. He also criticised celebrities who took a "very casual attitude" to drugs. "Those who think that their standing in the community makes them above the law on these matters is another area where I think we've got to send a very clear message. Not only that we will not decriminalise drugs but at the same time this is unacceptable behaviour."

The Government is carrying out a consultation on cannabis classification. Many groups are calling for the drug to be returned to class B status.

Marks, who was jailed for 25 years for masterminding a worldwide cannabis smuggling operation, has long been an advocate of drug legalisation. But he admitted that claims that smoking cannabis increases an individual's chance of developing a psychotic illness by 40 per cent gave him "genuine concern". The psychosis threat was especially acute in smokers under the age of 16.

Further research was also needed to discover whether the brain itself used chemicals similar to those found in cannabis in order to counter pain, he said.

:badday:
His ego takes precedence over principle. You'd think from so much experience, he'd be able to offer some insight (IE: EXAMPLES) into this psychosis phenomenon to which only the British have latched on so tightly. Instead, he just takes a cautious approach, being too afraid to offend such a large portion of readers, just as his new book is released.
-ebi

inverse

its ridiculous how people latch on so much to the "marijuana increases risk of psychosis by 40%". first off, its just a correlation, and secondly, it's a 40% INCREASE in the risk, which was about a 1% risk. So no, you dont have a 40% chance of going crazy, you have a 1.4% chance. in comparison, alcohol raises the risk 300%, to a 3% risk, but you don't hear celebrities speaking out about the mental health issues of alcohol. it's really ridiculous.

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
why exactly do you hate marks so much killa bud? hes grown more than all of us, hes sold more, smoked more, and finally has the worldly experience of being caught.. traveling the globe for sources and also experience in politics affording him the ability to make a difference in society. heres the real thing, if you like mary jane or pot heads in general.. Howard Marks is the embodiment of an old British dealer/head.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Question is, will Howard Marks be suing for misrepresentation?
Or will he be shutting his seed operation down?
Or just keep his head down and keep making money?

killa-bud

Veteran
Papulz said:
why exactly do you hate marks so much killa bud? hes grown more than all of us, hes sold more, smoked more, and finally has the worldly experience of being caught.. traveling the globe for sources and also experience in politics affording him the ability to make a difference in society. heres the real thing, if you like mary jane or pot heads in general.. Howard Marks is the embodiment of an old British dealer/head.
don't hate him,just alot of the stuff on his video was stupid

"the harsher the smoke the higher you get"

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Howard Marks does not own the seed company, Shantibaba does. All of us should be concerned about cannabis affecting mental illness,IF IT WERE TRUE. All Marks is saying is that we need more medical research. There are people who use cannabis to control their illness, so there is not necessarily a cause and effect there. People who already have psychological problems may be adversly affected by cannabis. They may also be helped. This has been known for a long time. The new reports of mental illness are usually based on info collecting schemes that blame cannabis or other drugs for mental illness, even though the drugs may not have been used recently.It is a scam by governments and hospitals to report drug use in the worst way possible. Figures don't lie, but liars use or misuse figures to proves their theories.

G

killa-bud said:
don't hate him,just alot of the stuff on his video was stupid

"the harsher the smoke the higher you get"
he is actaully correct when one is harsh and when you cough it open up vessels and capillaries and you get more ****ed up.hence the harsher the weed the more ****ed up you get

thats why if you cough when lunging a hit you will get twice as ****ed up off the one hit

PhantomPower

Yawn.......wonder how much he's getting payed to say that? :wink:

I honestly don't care what anyone says anymore. I'm gonna smoke regardless. I know cannbis works for me and NO ONE will ever tell me what to do. End of Story. :joint:

BTW did anyone see Mitt Romney acting like a little bitch when asked if he supports medical pot?

killa-bud

Veteran
Da GhOsT said:
he is actaully correct when one is harsh and when you cough it open up vessels and capillaries and you get more ****ed up.hence the harsher the weed the more ****ed up you get

thats why if you cough when lunging a hit you will get twice as ****ed up off the one hit
that would defeat the whole propose of coughing in the first place

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
So he says more research is needed, and that's some horrible offense against marijuana culture? WTF is that logic?

Cannabis users should ignore possible ill effects just because it is cannabis? That's ridiculous. As a responsible cannabis user, I appreciate any effort to learn more about this plant, both good and bad.

G

:bashhead: All this psycho babble gave me a hankering for some shroomies :bashhead: Ya just can't beat self induced psychosis :muahaha:

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Indica Sativa said:
:bashhead: All this psycho babble gave me a hankering for some shroomies :bashhead: Ya just can't beat self induced psychosis :muahaha:

Y'know, I haven't had shrooms yet, but I keep hearing that I should take that ride at least once....

_angst_

Bad statistics. There have been no conclusive, significant findings about Pot CAUSING schizophrenia. There are some LOOSE correlations, but that's it. CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION. Statistics rule #1.

The ONLY way to determine this is with a clinical trial, which... you'll never see get done. It's uneducated to draw conclusions based on WEAK correlations. You cannot take a correlation to be a causation. It doesn't matter if the results come out the same from running it over and over and over. It doesn't "add up." You can't say "40 years worth of correlative studies all agree that those that smoke pot have a 3% increased risk of schizophrenia versus those that don't smoke pot having a 1.5% risk of schizophrenia" and have that equate to: "Pot causes schizophrenia."

Untrue. Bad science.

Plus they don't know direction, here. They are just guessing, people. Without a clinical trial, that's all it is.

--------

As a side note: if you "wig out" from weed, you're probably having a panic attack. Calm down, switch strains, and don't smoke as much. When you drink too much alcohol, you vomit. When you smoke too much weed, you'll have side effects.

If you are schizophrenic and smoke pot AND IT HELPS YOU, then you know what's best.

But if you're smoking it AMA and know it's bad for you, then you probably shouldn't.

pz

G

i agree with _angst_, Mr. Marks should take a course in statistics and/or limit his comments to a media who is probably dying to twist whatever he says...i've gotten high with people who exhibit dissociative weirdness when they get high and to me its not some huge indictment of weed, its just that those folks probably shouldn't smoke dope...they also shouldn't do a lot of things...i believe the popular reason that anti-pot people cite 'schizophrenia' and 'psychosis' as possible results of smoking pot is b/c the formal medical definitions of those conditions are fairly subjective and are easily manipulated by unscrupulous professionals with their own agendas...

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
the Independant is an anti cannabis newspaper and they will print what suits them
I've met Howard a few times and he is a good guy and still tokes regularly

just more typical gutter press crap