What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Science/theory behind pruning question

DTOM420

I’m trying to learn how to choose the leaves I want to prune; to try and take the best advantage I can. I need to understand what a particular leaf’s function is.

In the picture below, there’s a long leaf petiole designated by 2 red arrows pointing at it. The petiole originates directky below a budsite. This particular leaf is on dominant upper branch but it’s shading some other forming buds. So, I’d like to remove it; but I’m wondering if it’s integral to the budsite (see the image below of the budsite circled in yellow) and whether removing it will have a detrimental to the growth of the Bud it’s connected to?

picture.php

picture.php

Aside from thinning the canopy for air flow and light penetration and removing big fan leafs that shade bud sites, how do you choose which leafs to leave in place to fuel bud growth? Are fan leafs even important to flower production?

Looking to learn more about how stuff works in the plant.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I remove fan leafs here and there to open the center/lowers up more usually but not much apart from removing growth that will never see good lighting way low.

The Black Dog LED people do the 3 a light book "schwazzing" method in their videos and it works well for them it seems. They strip them bare at day 1 flower and again heavily on day 21. I dont understand how stripping them severely benefits the plant honestly and wouldnt do it (apparently cannabis can make buds no problem without fan leaves though).

Timelapse Video Showing Schwazzing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1LTCL_-LE&t=15s&has_verified=1

DTOM420

I remove fan leafs here and there to open the center/lowers up more usually but not much apart from removing growth that will never see good lighting way low.

The Black Dog LED people do the 3 a light book "schwazzing" method in their videos and it works well for them it seems. They strip them bare at day 1 flower and again heavily on day 21. I dont understand how stripping them severely benefits the plant honestly and wouldnt do it (apparently cannabis can make buds no problem without fan leaves though).

Timelapse Video Showing Schwazzing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1LTCL_-LE&t=15s&has_verified=1

Thanks for the info and the links! I’ll definitely check them out.

Let me ask my main question another way... is a budsite dependent on the fan leaf below it (in this case the yellow circled budsite and the leaf attached to the petiole identified by the 2 red arrows) for maximum production? Or, does the bud do it’s own photosynthesis, using sugar leaves or maybe even the calyxes?

Latest posts

Latest posts