What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What PH meter would you recommend?

DrDee

I haven't found much difference between the $5-$150 pens. They work. Using and maintaining them however was too monotonous an endeavor for me to try and keep up with every day.

I bought myself a bluelab wall mounted continuous monitor/doser after my neck started failing on me and it feels like it has cut my workload in half. $350 was a small price to pay the convenience. No rinsing, no storage solutions, no capping, no manual ph adjustments, no kneeling around for what felt like forever waiting for the pens to pick up a reading.. Would have saved me a lot of time, money, and neck ache on the backend if I bought 'er when I set up instead of having to cycle through every different brand of pen out there after either dropping them or letting them dry out.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm with you on that approach Bobby. I bought the Hanna Gro-check continuous monitor...and while I haven't used it for too long, it looks like it will simplify things.
JD

Dr Watt

Who What

If you loose the cap off a PH meter, it's as good as dead. I don't use a storage solution though. I tried. It fell over. I shook my head.

A couple of flicks with the wrist clears off most fluid, then pop the cap on. It should last ages.....

I do like a waterproof meter. This means they spend a lot of time bobbing around, which may contribute towards them staying alive.

Short of continous monitoring (with digital record) I'll stick to the drops - 800 tests really is just 200 for me (cos I do it 4x). So I made the drop and sample size smaller - because pH test fluid is also not cheap @ $18oz($13usd) a bottle.

Finally, the pH colour code on the Flairform bottle varies and some are too dark, like when you use too many drops, ----- at the correct levels a pH of 6 is light yellow (NO orange) and pH6.1 has a tiny green tint :puke: :joint:

AnselAdams

I am down with the Bluelab Connect monitor. It is a great product and makes things very easy to monitor as i am new to hydro and indoor growing. The price is certainly worth the peace of mind. If you use the "connect" version/line you can monitor via your phone app.

Gazoo31

^^^^I might look into that. If I combined that with a wifi controlled thermometer I could not go in my room for days. My Rez is so big it drops 5 inches max over 1 week.

AnselAdams

What PH meter would you recommend?'

What PH meter would you recommend?'

^^^^I might look into that. If I combined that with a wifi controlled thermometer I could not go in my room for days. My Rez is so big it drops 5 inches max over 1 week.

The the Bluelab Connect Monitor on Amazon includes a thermometer, PH and EC/PPM; however you do need to obtain the "connect" usb portion as an additional purchase. I would suggest buying it as a stand-alone item as opposed to as part of a "kit". Stand-alone is a hundred bucks. Check out the prices of the connect line in Bluelab product "kit" packages and you will see what i mean.

Good Luck.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Short of continous monitoring (with digital record) I'll stick to the drops - 800 tests really is just 200 for me (cos I do it 4x). So I made the drop and sample size smaller - because pH test fluid is also not cheap @ $18oz($13usd) a bottle.

Finally, the pH colour code on the Flairform bottle varies and some are too dark, like when you use too many drops, ----- at the correct levels a pH of 6 is light yellow (NO orange) and pH6.1 has a tiny green tint :puke: :joint:

I started with drop kits before hydro shops appeared in my city. I still have one for emergency use. The indicator solution has changed colour in it's bottle, but it still works as it should. I also make smaller samples than it suggests, and had bad cards. Though you don't need the reference cards after a while. Like you say, you know exactly what colour you want, and feel your as accurate as a 0.1 resolution meter. Anyone who likes tight control of their finances, has to like them.

I wouldn't part with my floating meters though. It's not as good as one you don't even need to pick up and switch on, but that's not a particularly consuming experience. The manufacturers are presented with the same choice of parts for either device, so I can't see any difference in life expectancy is likely. Oddly enough, I have a ph/cf twin screen constant submersion meter, but have never used it as I know my method works. I have had separate cf and ph monitors I doctored to run dosing pumps, but sold them on as my methods changed. The twin thing was about $30 delivered and I could use a camera to record it, or simply a skype account with auto answer to take a look remotely. Old phones are so cheap. It's a bit messy, but might prove that looking at your plants is more use than your tank.

The middle ground of handheld meters, isn't a bad place to be. Not for most of us. Test kits are common in industry though, with scale being unimportant. They always work. Unlike some fancier kit, where breakdowns are to be expected. It's all good.

LostTribe

Premium user
Blue Lab Pens not monitors they get gunky and must be cleaned much more often than the pen. BL's probes are also swappable if you have a crack, shatter or other problem.

LT

Bobby Boucher

I run dm zone and I have never found any gunk or slime or algae of any kind on my probes. These last couple runs, I haven't even bothered giving them a scrub. I just slosh my water over the probes every time I top up and calibrate whenever the machine asks for it, which isn't often.

I do suspect they would gunk up if I removed the zone from my regimen.

Having dropped and broken at least $500 in pens, frankly it just tickles me pink to have my monitor anchored into a concrete wall. That's just me, though.

mexweed

Veteran
I had a $40 pen but through one grow it read 6 when drops said 3-4, so now I'm just doing drops again instead of starting to invest in calibration solutions and all that, good thing I was in somewhat alkaline soil and it was just vitamin c dropping it

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I had to check my meter after the nitric acid seemed a bit weak. it claimed the 4 was 4.2 and the 7 was 6.9 So at 5.5 where I use it, it's 0.1 off. The same as about a year ago. So again, I won't bother to re-calibrate. It's been like that since before any of my current plants arrived.

Everyone I know that kills meters, does so themselves. They claim othewise, but in time I catch them leaving lids off 'just while I do whatever' they say. But there is never an excuse to walk away. These are the people that leave the milk out, and roll a joint forgetting they already have one. They will always bust meters.

Sometimes it's the meter... Sometimes.

Couple of flicks with the wrist, and get the cap back on. Straight away.

R

Rab.C

i have liquid ph drop kit but was going to buy ph meter are they more accurate than
ph liquid drop kits

LostTribe

Premium user
i have liquid ph drop kit but was going to buy ph meter are they more accurate than
ph liquid drop kits

GH liquid drops always gave me good results. I used them for 2 years straight after my 20 year old Milwaukee pen shot crap, then got a blue lab pen.

I like the blue lab pen but it takes a longer than the old Milwaukee to level out to the correct ph. It stays pretty accurate without needing to be calibrated for long periods too.

Also I believe the glass probe is beefier and replaceable should you have issues with it. The probe shattered on my Milwaukee.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I'm looking for a more reliable PH meter and am considering a Blue Lab Combo Meter Plus. It's a little spendy but I'm tired of $50 meters failing after 3-6 months with proper care and need something more reliable. I just had a bad experience with Hanna Instruments and wound up returning 2 PH meters in a row @ $98 each due to drifting readings and slow response time. I no longer have faith in Hanna making a solid product and am leaning strongly toward the Blue Lab.

A shop near me sells them and will personally warranty a replacement in the store if the unit fails within 5 years. The probe is only warrantied for 6 months, but that seems fair. $226 out the door. Is it really worth the cheddar or is Blue Lab just over hyped and over priced?

What do you guys think? I'm buying on Friday...

Thanks!
The advantage of a cheap meter is that they are very easy to replace. It's better to buy 2 $30 meters that 1 $60 one.

This is more than enough for most grows, the most expensive one is $15,58, for which you get 2 digitals behind the dot, and even automatic temperature adjustment.

https://www.chinahao.com/product/19144857293/

Not connected to the company in any way, it's just the pH pen I've been using for years.

LostTribe

Premium user
The advantage of a cheap meter is that they are very easy to replace. It's better to buy 2 $30 meters that 1 $60 one.

This is more than enough for most grows, the most expensive one is $15,58, for which you get 2 digitals behind the dot, and even automatic temperature adjustment.

https://www.chinahao.com/product/19144857293/

Not connected to the company in any way, it's just the pH pen I've been using for years.

Those Chinese meters for under $30 are crap. Don't throw away your money when you can have something that will last 20 years like my old Milwaukee.

I paid $65 for the blue lab and its 4 years old only calibrated recently.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The 8oz GH refill is around 40.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I use these for ph and ec. Was sick of buying Bluelabs once a year. Now if I have an issue I just have to buy a new probe. Not a new meter all the time.
As stated, you can also get a cheapo meter. Just get calibration solution to check it.
The key is storing your meter properly. I always store my pH pen in 4.01ph solution. It never dries out(which is the #1 reasons pens go bad)and always is cal'd
https://smile.amazon.com/Milwaukee-pH56-Waterproof-Replaceable-Resolution/dp/B007Z4HZ8O

Careful dunking those one's. They call them waterproof, but they're not. The spec says you can hose them down, but the screens often leak. My LHS was asking the price of a tip, for the whole meter.

Amazon have the usual $10 bargain looking meters, but seem to want $60 for the $30 stuff sold on eBay. It's the bigger is better attitude. Where the most expensive of 3 items, is thought to be the best. I would be careful there.

For years I have wanted to try an Omega meter, but mine just won't break. Omega are not a hydro brand. The better meter is £130 and new tips are £50. It's a proper long glass thing though. It's real. With 0.8 second response time. It's not the one I need though. £90 gets the typical meter that can be held underwater, a full meter deep for half hour. New tip £35. Plastics that look like hdpe, not something that will either melt or shatter.
The £130 meter has an rs232 socket, and about £300 gets a data logging meter.
The £90 meter has been on that site about a decade that I know of. It can't be bad. But what I really like about there meters... AAA batteries. Even the £40 meter uses them.

8oz of fluid would outlast me lol

Bobby Boucher

Y’all some cheapskates.

Blue lab is already suspiciously inexpensive for what it claims to be. Buy one and be glad that it works.

LostTribe

Premium user
Y’all some cheapskates.

Blue lab is already suspiciously inexpensive for what it claims to be. Buy one and be glad that it works.

Blue Lab is a Kiwi company in NZ I believe too. I sure trust Kiwi's and Aussies much more than ChiCom Crap off some cheap skate con artist with no warranty off the webernets.

My Milwaukee was like $150 way back the BL was $65 and has already lasted 4 years vs the 20 from the Milwaukee.

I hear people buying one or two of those crap no brand meters then they can't figure out what's wrong with their grow ie because the new meter is a worthless POS.

I would take the GH drops over a cheap o meter any day of the week. At least you know the drops are not going to give you an incorrect reading.

You get what you pay for.

LT