What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1950's 60's 70's biotech "INDUCED MUTATION BREEDING"

Bumbatar

Due to globalized trade and the information age revolution scientific knowledge and technology once only available to large nation states and powerful corporations in the 50's 60's and 70's is now fully available to amateur scientists and hobbyist tinkerers!

Induced mutation breeding has proven itself to be a very powerful tool. From 1930 to 2014 more than 3200 mutagenic plant varieties were released, so this technology cannot be scoffed at or brushed away like it has in the past by all the mother nature hippy granola anti science imbeciles that infest this and all the other cannabis boards!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_breeding

The following PDF is a large wealth of knowledge frrom the United States government on induced mutation breeding.

the link below must be copied and pasted because there is no "s" with the https:// take the "s" out (why must the board always insert the "s")

-https://www.fao.org/3/a-i2388e.pdf-

Here is a owners manual .pdf for a very interesting and retro-futuristic tool of the trade called the GAMMA CELL 220.

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0216/ML021630456.pdf

Now I know there will be a parade of short sighted simple minded imbeciles that say we don't want Frankin food we don't want Frankin cannabis say no to GMO! Hands off "OUR" cannabis!!! Theses nature loving granola types are incapable of understanding proper hygiene! much less anything to do with science! So I have provided a helpful youtube video that will give them a chance "albeit a dim one" of understanding how damaging their influence has been on cannabis culture, holding us back from realizing the full bounty of fruits the cannabis plant has to offer mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--dwVAc_e9U

[youtubeif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--dwVAc_e9U[/youtubeif]

default.jpg

default.jpg

OB6951-Courtesy-American-Pharmacists-Association-Foundation.jpg

cd5d3d84c4-213835-10.jpg

Last edited:

Bumbatar

I did not mean to sound like a dick head in this post I was sort of doing a parody of the insane narcissistic Dr. Andrew Ryan from the Bioshock game.

Bumbatar

Sweet ruby red grapefruit was also created with radiation breeding. If it was not for this technology all grapefruit would taste like bitter ass. It would be great to taste sweet ruby red kush.

Getting access to a Gamma-cell 220 maybe to hard but induced mutations can also be created with "Restriction enzymes" extracted from bacteria. The process is called restriction endonucleases "These enzymes are found in bacteria and archaea and provide a defense mechanism against invading viruses.[4][5] Inside a prokaryote, the restriction enzymes selectively cut up foreign DNA in a process called restriction; meanwhile, host DNA is protected by a modification enzyme (a methyltransferase) that modifies the prokaryotic DNA and blocks cleavage. Together, these two processes form the restriction modification system.[6]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restriction_enzyme

These enzymes could be applied to the flowers and pollen so the DNA could be mutated during seed creation process. I would imagine there would be a laboratory supply company or biotech company selling these enzymes somewhere in the world.

The Gamma-cell uses radioactive cobalt for its energy, this is restricted and dangerous material. It may be easier for someone who is into physics and electronics to put together a linear particle accelerator that generates radiation from electricity rather than dangerous and hard to handle material like radioactive cobalt. This would be the "ion beam method" mentioned in the wiki link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_breeding

I know I posted this before but the pdf Plant Mutation Breeding and Biotechnology is a gold mine of information. It's almost 600 pages of information created by the U.S. government in the year 2011. It is public domain information available to the public for free but some jerks are selling it on Amazon for 125$!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=plant+mutation+breeding+and+biotechnology

its free here

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]www.fao.org/3/a-i2388e.pdf[/FONT]

djonkoman

Veteran
personally I think mutation breeding is probably not that usefull for cannabis.

mutation breeding also creates a lot of unwanred mutations/damage, it's kind of a crapshoot to get that one usefull mutation. it's usefull in certain situations, like when you have a crop that has a very limited primary/secundary genepool(primary genepool=genetic variation within the same species, secondary includes related species that can create offspring without too much hassle, tertiary=related species where you need more complexs techniques like embryo rescue to get living offspring out of it).

and it's only usefull for traits depending on a single gene.

for example, mutation breeding can be pretty usefull to create new colorvariations of flowers in ornamental plants.

however, with cannabis I think it's a bit different. cannabis has a huge primary genepool compared to other crops I think, so a lot of genes/traits that can be used without going trough all the hoops required for mutation breeding(or GM), just simple crossbreeding could already get big results, especially if you could use MAS too(marker asisted selection).

I also think cannabis has quiet a lot of quantitative traits, that are not determined by a single gene(traits like yield, thc%, quantity of other cannabinoids or terpenes, etc).

so I think it will be easier to just use regular cross breeding, and on top of that results will be better with regular crossbreeding as with mutation breeding I think.

(also a thing with mutation breeding, most mutations you get that way are loss of function mutations. you can get some interesting unexpected results with that, for example if you would have a plant with red flowers, but the red pigment has a pathway that goes from colorless>blue>red, if you then have a broken gene for the enzyme from blue>red you could get blue flowers. but mutations won't just create new magic genes out of nowhere that do stuff way beyond the original genes, it's way more likely the mutated gene doesn't do something that the unmutated does)

Mutation breeding is the literal definition of a gamble. You induce mutations and cross your fingers that one of the plants you grow is the one in a million chance that the mutations are beneficial in any way. It’s a complete waste of time, I can’t emphasize that enough.

Modern day genetic modification involves identifying genes responsible for specific traits, and then selectively introducing that gene to another species. It’s much more successful, but requires much more sophisticated techniques.

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Really interesting, been reading a lot of threads about induced mutation and more purposeful GM like CRISPR on IC recently, this sort of stuff is really interesting to me because I remember GM crops and Biofuels being a big new controversial but potentially ecologically protective thing when I was studying Environmental Science. I'd love to induce some mutations but I doubt I'd be able to run a plant count high enough to screen the results effectively to find the ones I'd be interested in.

A gamble is worth it of you can throw enough dice and then clone/breed the 5's and 6s.

Burt

Veteran
Did your smelly hippy girlfriend blow your best friend or what?
Tossing disses like imbecile around like a pollen checker seems pretty silly and it’s not just hippies that are against Franken crap
Has anyone tried a microwave in slow bursts to induce mutation?
You don’t need a gamma ray chamber cause that’s all a microwave is-lol

Did your smelly hippy girlfriend blow your best friend or what?
Tossing disses like imbecile around like a pollen checker seems pretty silly and it’s not just hippies that are against Franken crap
Has anyone tried a microwave in slow bursts to induce mutation?
You don’t need a gamma ray chamber cause that’s all a microwave is-lol

You know gamma rays and microwaves are on opposite ends of the spectrum, right? That’s like saying radio waves or the visual spectrum is the same as gamma rays.

Bumbatar

Everybody is getting so cranky! Please refer to post #2 in this thread. I think re-utilizing biotechnology from the past is interesting because im so interested retro-futurism and alternate history. The natural world is very complex with many different pathways to go down when manipulating biology. What if there was an alternate history where technological development did not immediately go down the path of the typical modern GMO genetic engineering that we know today that basically takes genetic code "that already exists in nature" from one species then snaps it into place to another species DNA like Lego blocks. Other techniques used in the past could create completely novel or new mutations never before seen in nature.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Restriction endonucleases" or the use bacteria restriction enzymes to manipulate DNA during cell division or seed creation reminds me of how they discovered how to use bacterial "plasmids" in the alternate history sci fi video game Bio-Shock.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

le-20-6-n.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

slide-18.jpg
flat,800x800,070,f.u1.jpg
fc,550x550,baby_blue.u1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts