What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

is it safe to water during the day?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
My plants seem to be pretty droopy, I transplanted Friday morning.
They looked fine, until yesterday it was constantly blowing 20-30 + mph all day.

Its only 75 degrees here today but the sun is out. Should i just wait till the sun goes down a bit more or?

Im getting kind of sick at looking at them, I thought i soaked em in good when i transplanted

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
My plants seem to be pretty droopy, I transplanted Friday morning.
They looked fine, until yesterday it was constantly blowing 20-30 + mph all day.

Its only 75 degrees here today but the sun is out. Should i just wait till the sun goes down a bit more or?

Im getting kind of sick at looking at them, I thought i soaked em in good when i transplanted
Ever heard of wind burn? Regardless of temps, wind has a BAD habit of drying things up. Yes you can water during the day. If you are worried, avoid getting the foliage wet, otherwise , knock your self out :)

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I know what wind damage can do. I have a couple plants in my greenhouse that get constantly blown on during the day from fans. Some fan leaves look like some copper coloring and are crispy.
My outdoor isn't, just have fan leaves drooping. Im just not use to watering every other day this early in the season.
I guess i didn't soak em in good when i transplanted on Friday

theJointedOne

Veteran
give em a good soak since the heat is coming...and then give em a few days, im sure by midweek the roots will take hold and they will start to grow nice

djonkoman

Veteran
watering is fine at any time, it's just a bit less efficient in wateruse during the day(more water evaporates).
but in your case, might be lack of water is not really the issue, just being recently transplanted and then getting to deal with high temp, lots of light and/or wind will easily make them droopy a bit, the roots can't keep up yet. if it's a bit droopy, they'll recover fine. but if the leaves dry out too much some may die, if you're worried you can keep an eye on it and if it seems to get too bad, limit the transpiration from the plant(I think easiest would be to put something over/in front of it to shade it a bit).

I like to, if possible, time transplant just before a few rainy/cloudy days, then you give the plant some time to adapt and grow roots before it gets hit with the full power of the sun.

insomniac_AU

Maybe it's beneficial to water during the day? The surface of the soil dries quickly which deters vermin like fungus gnats laying eggs.

Easy7

Veteran
Unless a plant is a pussy, it knows it gets rain when it gets rain.

From a security point of view, that's up to the guerilla to decide.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I couldn't plant according to weather that could come. i had plants in containers for 1 month and were close to being root bound. If i had time i would have waited until the full moon to transplant my clone plants, which is in a few days

Last year was a crazy year, I planted mid June on a over cast day and we had a freak hail storm that lasted for 5-10 mins. The hail came after i just plugged plants and soaked em really good. Ended up loosing some fan leaves from it, It took about 1 week for them to finally recover. I didn't water for 5 days

iTarzan

Many grower are stabbed to death when they water during the day. It is extremely dangerous to do so.

troutman

Seed Whore
When the plants are flowering, I prefer to water just as the light comes on or the Sun rises.

It gives the plants all day to use the water.

I have watered at all times of the day. But do dislike watering midday for various reasons.

i.e. too hot to work for nothing, I should be relaxing by then, etc. :biggrin:

green404

A lot of people do not like watering close to dark, they say it can promote mold and disease. I have done it before when it was my only convenient time and had no problems.

Wind can beat plants up especially when they are just transplanted.
The wind has been beating up my tomatoes the past couple of weeks. They are strong but they look disheveled after a gusty day.

Latest posts

Latest posts