What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sporadic light times? But total somewhere near 15/9

Xtensity

I feel I've seen this question asked before, though I'm not really sure what I would have to search to find it out.. :/

Would effect would it have on growing seedlings(~2 week old)

If the total light per 24 hours was greater than 12/12 to prevent flower, but it was scattered on and off throughout the day.

For instance..... It could be off 6pm-11pm and off 8am-12pm.

What effect would this have on the plants. They wouldn't flower, since they're getting more than 12 hours of light aday, and they haven't even reached preflowers yet eitherway. Of course I know it would be better to maintain a consistent 18 on 6 off, so no need to mention that obvious fact, as this is why I am asking in the first place.

Would this stress the plants? If so for what biochemical reason does this stress the plants? I have my reasons for wanting to have my light schedule like this, but that doesn't matter in regards to what I'm asking. Thank you in advance!

h.h.

Veteran
I've done all sorts of light schedules during veg. Mostly due to laziness or forgetfulness...Think of it as a mid day cloud cover, some times it's cloudy all day. I haven't done your particular schedule, it just seems there is little that can be screwed up in veg other than slowing growth. Even in flower, I find odd light hours making little difference. Going from short to long light days can, in flower, if during the a critical period, basically preflower, induce them back to veg, causing irregular growth. Too much variation in flower can really screw them up, stunt them. A light leak here and there has never been a problem at least not in my experience.