What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Apollo11 Mutts" under 250w HPS in my Closet!!

KolorBlind

Raphael - Thanks man!! Originally it was just going to be a 250w grow, but I started in December and it was all I could do with the 250 to stay above 70F. Adding the CFLs got me to about 73-75, so I figured the 150 wasn't going to hurt any :)

aim-9sidewinder - Yeah I do love the idea of a vertical grow, but mainly what I was going for here was to grow out all the seeds I had left so I would have a variety of females to choose a mother or 2 from. I wasnt as concerned about yeild to start with. Luckily 9 of them turned female because 2 of them I would never clone and one I would only clone if it was my only other option. 6 of them are 100% grade A genetics though. Nice fat, super dense buds just COVERED with trichomes. If I start back up I plan on doing a scrog, but I have always wanted to do a vert scrog in my minifridge with my 150w HPS. Thanks for the input!!

I forgot to pick the nanners out of the plant I hung up last night. I am kicking myself in the ass for it now because I could see them drying out and tossing pollen allover that damn closet. I think I may attack it with a spray bottle and some tweezers tonight. Wish me luck :)

KB

gingerale

Veteran
Hey man I'm surprised nobody mentioned to you that your problem is not enough light! See how stretched those plants are? I see on some of those pics plants that are 24+ inches tall with only 7-8 nodes. For comparison I have plants right now that have that many nodes at only 8-9" tall. Yours were reaching and reaching trying to get to that light. Look in the pics, it's clear as day how bright it is up top yet all the lower canopy and plants off to the side are in shadow, no wonder they weren't hardly growing. The more you raised the light, the taller they grew trying to reach it. Thanks for sharing your grow, I'm very interested to see final weight and smoke report on the Apollo 11 cross, as I am considering that strain for a future grow.

KolorBlind

Hey man I'm surprised nobody mentioned to you that your problem is not enough light! See how stretched those plants are? I see on some of those pics plants that are 24+ inches tall with only 7-8 nodes. For comparison I have plants right now that have that many nodes at only 8-9" tall. Yours were reaching and reaching trying to get to that light. Look in the pics, it's clear as day how bright it is up top yet all the lower canopy and plants off to the side are in shadow, no wonder they weren't hardly growing. The more you raised the light, the taller they grew trying to reach it. Thanks for sharing your grow, I'm very interested to see final weight and smoke report on the Apollo 11 cross, as I am considering that strain for a future grow.

Thanks for the comment gingerale. The plants are a bit stretched but not nearly as bad as they seem. I pruned a good amount of the lower growth off completely a while back. I cut off a good 2-4 nodes off each plant. Plus they are all bent over tied to a string. I mainly pruned out all the undergrowth to make is easy to water. The tallest one is actually 45" tall from soil level, and the top bud is the 16th node including the 3 nodes I cut off.

When in veg, I kept 8 26w CFLs no more than an inch or so over the plants. I placed them in flower and kept the bulbs so low at times it burned a few tops. All I had was the 250HPS at first, but for how small they were I still don't know why they got as tall as they did. I do agree though, that 250w alone is cutting it for 9 plants, and that must be why they stretched so much before I added the 150 and CFLs. I just hadn't planned on getting this many, I would have been excited about 5 haha!

I can tell you right now though that 6 of the 9 will yield over an ounce dry each. Two of them are airy and may not yield more than a half ounce dry. Another is midway between the 2 and I figure I might get an ounce off it.

Again, thanks for the post. I always appreciate people tellin it like it is :)
KB

gingerale

Veteran
I agree that most of the stretch probably happened before you added the 150W, it seems like once they stretch early on they are pretty much stretched for life lol. Well it looks like you did the best with what you had to work with and now have plenty of nice home grown smoke to enjoy. Love those nugs and trichomes everywhere, looks great. Can't wait to try this strain myself. Don't forget a final smoke report after proper drying and at least a week of curing! It's amazing how much curing does to help the smoke, I cure bagseed when I get it and it improves noticeably in short time. Really seems to help the flavor.

aim-9sidewinder - Yeah I do love the idea of a vertical grow, but mainly what I was going for here was to grow out all the seeds I had left so I would have a variety of females to choose a mother or 2 from. I wasnt as concerned about yeild to start with. Luckily 9 of them turned female because 2 of them I would never clone and one I would only clone if it was my only other option. 6 of them are 100% grade A genetics though. Nice fat, super dense buds just COVERED with trichomes. If I start back up I plan on doing a scrog, but I have always wanted to do a vert scrog in my minifridge with my 150w HPS. Thanks for the input!!

hey man, sounds great!

apparently I was too stoned to realize i've messed up my post.
so sorry,
what I mean is not going vertical (confused vertical with horizontal)

just turning it 90 degress.

I mean this:

longside.jpg

Contributed by: Head Rush

The majority of light originates from the sides of the reflector, which are parallel with the bulb; this can be ascertained by simply looking at the pattern of light shining on the walls and floor. The sides of the reflector are angled, and on many hoods the light footprint can be easily adjusted to suit your requirements. So remember, if you have a rectangular garden, it is important to position the longest side of the reflector parallel to the shortest side of your garden.

KolorBlind

Ahhhhh I see exactly what you mean now. I have never seen any research done on that and it makes perfect sense. I will have to keep this in mind for next time (if there is one lol) for sure!! Thanks again for the input man!

KB

KolorBlind

So I found out there is actualy a name for the style of bud growth on my 2 less than dense plants. The term is foxtail. Usually people brag about them when they form off a nice dense bud, but my problem is the whole plant is nothing but a bunch of them starting at the stems. Its pretty much just a bunch of calyxes stacked on top of each other.

I must say though, I clipped a bit off the top of the one I hung up last night and rolled a joint. I smoked half of it and I was damn good. I brought the other half to work for the ride home :)

I have about 12-15 small branches hanging up now from all the remaining plants. I have them in order so I know what Im sampling. Tomorrow all the small branches should be nice and dry, it will be a good night :)

Plans are still on for some harvesting this weekend. Still dont know if I want to chop them all or just half. There are a couple amber trichs on every plant, and 2 plants have over 25%. Whatever happens, I will take pictures and post this weekend sometime.

KB