What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

DigiWeed

Thanks JJ, I was hoping to use it as I have it already, but will get a better one rather than change it at a later date as the box is still under construction.
Better to get as much right as I can first time round.
Thanks again.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You should be able to buy a 40 watt, 2 foot floro fixture for about twenty dollars or less. If not, buy a cheap bathroom three bulb track light and buy a pack of 23 watt bulbs......

how can i tell when its ready to cut? how long from seed is usually the minimum amount of time u should wait on average? i kno it depends on strain, but on average.
Thanks

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once you have alternating nodes you should have enough there to do cutting. Remember it needs to be a branch with another branch coming off it.....

ok that definetly answers my question, thanksalot. :joint:
about how long from the very top to the cut should u make it? if u see it alternating a couple times already but its about 2-3 inches long is that ok?

Last edited:
Hey JJ,

I followed your thread very closely and for a long time now. I took my first clones off of SEnsi Star moms 3 weeks ago and used your directions, but rockwool instead of RR. I took 5 cuttings and 4 rooted, last died. They are small but look gorgeus! Thank you.

They are showing a lil yellowing or light greenish, big roots now... should they be fertilized a bit?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They can take the same fertilizer regiment that the mother was given once they have a good ball of roots. Give them a half dose to start. Good to hear the thread helped you.....

JJ: Helped? No seriously, me and cloning...... i didnt know asshole from elbow until i came across this beauty. LOL

JJ: Update 2-18-2008

didnt want to use up another reply.... all is looking good, clones are growing in cups now... new growth is good and hearty.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

With all things being equal do seedlings develope faster then rooted clones?

I ask because it seems as if the clones I start (from bubble cloner no hormones) do not seem to develope as quickly and are indeed stunted.

Grower error or do seedling plants just grow faster?

Just for clearity, I am organic.

I start my already rooted clones in mix of spent (previously used) soil same as seedling in 14-16 ounce beer cups.

I transplant into fresh organic soil (ffof/ewc/perlite/d.lime) when rootbound (two/three weeks) in one gallon pots.

They are under 150~watts of 6400K cfls.

Again, is there faster growth associated with seedling plants that is absent in clones?

Thanks,

minds_I

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find that seedplants grow faster than clones. I would guess its because clones are already a full grown plant and they don't get the burst that seedplants do when they are young.....

G

Youre findings are accurate JJScorpio. The only reason I usually grow from seed is that its the only way to realize hybrid growth.

I have a cloning question and I hope you might be able to offer some general thoughts.

I tried some femmed seed outside last year and was pleased with the results. I want to clone some of those plants this year but I cant help but wonder, Do you think the 24 hrs of light during the cloning process, and then a normal light period during root development and then out the door for some hardening off will increase the tendency for the clone to hermie?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You dont have to leave the clones on 24 hour light. I keep my indoor mothers on 24/0 light but when I cut the clones they go to 16/8 light/dark so they dont flower when I put them outside. I've had good luck with that......

Hey JJ:
My Sensi Star clones are looking great at 30 days! However two of them have started to flower while under 18/6 CFL in my veg box. 13,000 Lumens/ 8 x 23Watts. I have kept a good wet dry cycle and gave them a small dose of Grow Big (Fox Farm). They are close to light and very well ventilated with a 120mm pc fan average of 75F daytime. 67F Night.

What would be causing this auto-flowering?

Also.... I know clones veg slowly but is there any way i can speed them up a lil?Any tips? They are good color, no burn or over Nitro'd.... They just are really slow!

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They may start to flower but they probably won't go into full flower. I take it what you're seeing is a small bud forming with pistils? This usually happens with most mature plants. Thats why I keep my mothers on 24/0.

If you want them to grow faster they will need more light. The floros will sustain them but thats not a lot of light for fast vegging.....

T

TheOneWill

Do you need some type of nute for them to start rooting in the rapid rooters?
If so would Dip-n-grow work?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No nutes are necessary. They can't feed until they get roots. Your best bet is to use a rooting powder with fungicide......

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I think its all the same stuff basically, you can get it at wally world, home de-pot, or pretty much any garden center with a good selection of plant junk on the shelves.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use the rootone with fungicide. If you're in the states you can get it at Lowes, WalMarts or about any gardening shop........