What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It is called decorum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gry

I will consider the closed thread a tribute to half our country (the women) out protesting in pussy hats.

igrowone

Veteran
in a similar vein
i will say as far as civil wars go, this is better than the historical norm
little blood shed, mostly metaphorical butt hurts and carpal tunnel

Gry

A civil war. What I saw, was merely conversation, though it clearly crossed social boundaries.
Might of looked a bit like a circle jerk when Gypsy rolled up, but life can be like be like that at times.

Few people have ever felt the boot of our country on their backs in the way Gypsy has. Can't even imagine what effect that would have on one's perspective.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh yeah, protest we much, or something.

In the news this morning -

1) U.S. firms repatriated $305 billion in the first quarter of 2018 as a result of the tax cuts, setting an all-time record and providing an estimated $46 billion in tax revenue.

2) The Supreme Court did the obvious and ruled in favor of the travel ban. Existing law specifically affords the President that right, in spite of what a Judge in Hawaii or Seattle thinks that it might do to their location's tourist revenue...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/supreme-court-rules-in-trump-muslim-travel-ban-case.html

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/american-money-is-flowing-back-into-america

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I bear no malice towards the people of the USA......but the federal government, well that's another matter, yet to be fully resolved before I can truly be free internationally again...

You see this is a BIG problem in the world and its called stereotyping .....painting everyone with the same brush when yes we do all have similarities.....but we are all not the same.

Hopefully in this thread we can see some progressive debate, or at least interesting - sans any disrespecting of members, no matter what their views/opinions and arguments are.....
....so let them argue, but remember that an argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition and not some opportunity to go all potty-mouthed on all and sundry...

A civil war. What I saw, was merely conversation, though it clearly crossed social boundaries.
Might of looked a bit like a circle jerk when Gypsy rolled up, but life can be like be like that at times.

Few people have ever felt the boot of our country on their backs in the way Gypsy has. Can't even imagine what effect that would have on one's perspective.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran

we now return to our regularly scheduled programming.......
:dunno:

3TjEceO.gif

Gry

Oh yeah, protest we much, or something.

In the news this morning -

1) U.S. firms repatriated $305 billion in the first quarter of 2018 as a result of the tax cuts, setting an all-time record and providing an estimated $46 billion in tax revenue.

2) The Supreme Court did the obvious and ruled in favor of the travel ban. Existing law specifically affords the President that right, in spite of what a Judge in Hawaii or Seattle thinks that it might do to their location's tourist revenue...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/supreme-court-rules-in-trump-muslim-travel-ban-case.html

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/american-money-is-flowing-back-into-america

While a healthy market is a positive thing to see, it hardly reflects the economic reality of most.

The court was sharply divided, indicating they did not feel it 'obvious'.
Without a stolen seat on the court...

brown_thumb

in a similar vein
i will say as far as civil wars go, this is better than the historical norm
little blood shed, mostly metaphorical butt hurts and carpal tunnel

OMG!! People got carpal tunnel syndrome by butt-hurting others?? OUCH!!!!! My butt hurts just thinking about it.:moon::noway:

brown_thumb

I bear no malice towards the people of the USA......but the federal government, well that's another matter, yet to be fully resolved before I can truly be free internationally again...

You see this is a BIG problem in the world and its called stereotyping .....painting everyone with the same brush when yes we do all have similarities.....but we are all not the same.

Hopefully in this thread we can see some progressive debate, or at least interesting - sans any disrespecting of members, no matter what their views/opinions and arguments are.....
....so let them argue, but remember that an argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition and not some opportunity to go all potty-mouthed on all and sundry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMPXzAcIKkI

Most of us are good brothers and sisters, controlled by evil stepparents (governments).

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The court was sharply divided, indicating they did not feel it 'obvious'.

While a healthy market is a positive thing to see, it hardly reflects the economic reality of most.

Strongly divided in that the usual suspects voted the usual way in order to preserve their liberal credentials, all while knowing that the rule of law would prevail. The President is SPECIFICALLY afforded that power, and whether or not anyone feels it was justified, it would be an idiotic precedent to set that some 2nd-string judge could over-rule the President on a matter of national security.

Those earnings being repatriated had nothing to do with a healthy market, it was solely due to the tax structure being brought into line with reason.

Gry

Strongly divided in that the usual suspects voted the usual way in order to preserve their liberal credentials, all while knowing that the rule of law would prevail. The President is SPECIFICALLY afforded that power, and whether or not anyone feels it was justified, it would be an idiotic precedent to set that some 2nd-string judge could over-rule the President on a matter of national security.

Those earnings being repatriated had nothing to do with a healthy market, it was solely due to the tax structure being brought into line with reason.

You seem to have some expertise with the idiotic.
Executive authority in abundance for republican presidents,
but they alone. Free speach well spent.

A tax structure brought into line with reason... You mean edging your totalitarian breatheren a little closer to their goal.

M

moose eater

Thank you for addressing an often ignored issue in our collective de-evolution, Gry.

It has a million applications in history, whether in times of mastering fire and sharpening spears, or times of de-bugging computers. Our species' insights into our own deficiencies seems to look outward more than inward, where many problems often really lay.

I've often appreciated Pinball Wizard's sig line quote, despite it being a fairly well-known adage. The quote by Pogo, about having met the enemy, and he being us.

When we master that, then maybe, just maybe we will have a chance at avoiding the sooner ultimate destruction, which we can otherwise engage in while patting ourselves on our backs, echoing to ourselves how correct we were, regardless of stance. It will be the mark by which we prove that our technology has nearly ALWAYS exceeded our humility, spirituality, compassion, and wisdom.

But -if- there's a Universal Power, and my jury is still out, then I would say that it may approach a time to let fools prove what they are, despite the vast amounts of daylight illuminating such things. They will likely be the last to connect the dots anyway.

I am a spiritual person with no defined God. Certainly not defined by controllers in position of distorting reality for purposes of authorizing manipulation. But I recall some others from my past, who shared or gave rise to at least -some- of what I believe, quoting a line/verse that should remind us all of our own transgressions, fortunes, and humility; "There but by the grace of God go I."

When we forget that, and it seems that OFTEN these days we do, we make ourselves into selfish partisans or fundamentalists, seeking some sort of fabricated authorizations for our own biases.

It is often for those reasons that I want less and less to do with my own species, and my dogs become more endearing to me by the day.

Plants and animals; a more honest reciprocal relationship, and far less bullshit.

Take good care.

Peace and less pain to you.

"That which matters most."

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Decorum is an interesting word to use with this administration,as the "one who shall not be named" doesn't even know how to spell it.He does however have a special knack for making a mockery of it.

Decorum? Hah.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You seem to have some expertise with the idiotic.
Executive authority in abundance for republican presidents,
but they alone. Free speach well spent.

A tax structure brought into line with reason... You mean edging your totalitarian breatheren a little closer to their goal.

It's hard to spend 6 decades on this rock without gathering some expertise at recognizing the idiotic.

That particular bit of executive authority has been exercised liberally (yuk yuk) by every President back to Reagan, including Carter, Clinton and Obama.

Who could have possibly foreseen that having the 3rd highest corporate tax rate in the world in combination with "business friendly" laws allowing the off-shoring of profits could possibly have led to businesses doing exactly that??

Gry

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3rd highest corporate tax rate in the world. The framing does sound familiar, but the Koch bros have been persistent in their messaging.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The people of this country and the country itself used to be in much better condition when our corporate masters actually paid a fair share.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sadly our libertarian breatheren decided that was not profitable enough.
[/FONT]

Slim Pickens

Veteran
How many people know that 3 Trillion dollars of the national debt was borrowed from Social Security?

Pass a tax cut that puts the US deeper in debt and enriches the elite.Then steal the SS surplus to pay for it? :

https://www.socialsecurityworks.org/2018/04/12/politicians-steal-social-security/

Now,which party is it that has been dead set on stripping SS and Medicare?Is it the end game for that particular party to deliver all the wealth to the rich,and make everyone else destitute?

Helpful list of Republicans who voted in favor of this is included in the link....you know,for those of you who might be interested.

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:
M

moose eater

History is inescapable Yin & Yang; greater hardships turn up the flame for greater or more pervasive correction, even though such things over-run the corrective aim at times, creating destructive or alarming pendulums in their wake. It's social physics..

Plans/policies that ignore the real needs of the Commoners will lead to greater change more quickly, though often only after it becomes unavoidable. Despots lacking in compassion have historically sealed their own fates.

And the larger corporations, the ones who often hold off-shore accounts, often, in reality, paid ZERO in federal corporate tax, despite crying about 35% this, and 70% that..

They can be easily found and named. They are familiar names. They disingenuously don the burdens of the mom and pop operations in their manipulative PR pleas for mercy, put forth by well-dressed and well-paid lobbyists, but they essentially OWN the Congress and various legislatures, and have for a long time, or such loop-holes would not have existed for them to abuse.

I've battled the bastards over our resources up here long enough to know their shtick inside and out. And I know their civil and criminal court histories in many cases, well enough to know what ethics and etiquette they -really- operate under...

The Dept of Interior and GAO assessed the REAL tax burdens of our North Slope primary operators in the Oil Patch; BP, Conoco, & Exxon. They routinely cried generic numbers representing what's paid by small corporations run by ma and pa. In reality, it was determined they paid between 0% and 11% in federal corporate tax.

Other -factual- examples can be found in GE, many of the inflated (ought to be tried for treason) DoD contractors, etc.

Sitting with chronic professional manipulators and paid liars, and expecting them to be honest in their portrayal of burdens, is like asking Al Capone if tax evasion is his primary offense against the Universe. "Of course it is... And I didn't evade any taxes, either. It was all a set-up."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts