What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's talk about Northern Lights!

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
- NL5 is Afghan x Hawaiian, not Afghan x Thai as Nevil thought at first.

:)

yes but we know that cannabis is imported to Hawai, so it can be easily some thai genetics, maybe :)

i experienced the same wiht dutch NL back in the days, first 20 minutes some crazy strong confusing and paranoid high, after that lethargic body stone.. but this trippy racy effect lasted first smoke session, after smoking it few days you got tolerance to it, and then you just experienced lethargy and stupefying effect from the beginning. that is my expereince with NL from positronics.

:tiphat:

birde

...And before then had from "the Brothers Grimm" - Called Aurora Borealis. Both great but "ireckonifelt" most comfortable with the BCSC Version.
Somebody do a "Great Thing" and Cross this too the Brightsides Cheese . [ oh mY WOooOrD ! ]
Lol. (Jus saying! ^ that'l be moving across land in the U.S ) "as we Speak " ...
Yo,E.B!

GoatCheese

Veteran
yes but we know that cannabis is imported to Hawai, so it can be easily some thai genetics, maybe :)
Well, the real story goes according to Nevil, that the seed lot was marked (or he was told) NL5 was Afghan x Thai, and he has admitted that that info was possibly wrong and that NL5 is actually Afg/Hawiian.
Nevil also has stated that he didn't see Thai influence when he grew out the NL5 seeds, so there prolly isn't any Thai in NL5.

angelgoob

It seems my high was different from everyone else's?

Did I just get a weird pheno and an earlier picked crop?

Sucks because then that's the 3 best weed I've ever smoked didn't have a name. I thought I could get a clear vibrant high from this.

If taken early, is there a chance?

Corsaire

Veteran
NL#1 is the best... :good:

A friend found a NL#1 jasmine pheno, seeds bought in '96, pheno selected in '97, one of the best weed I've never smoked... :joint:

Here are some pics :

2rzrmgz.jpg

nal8g.jpg

5tun9l.jpg

igrowone

Veteran

i experienced the same wiht dutch NL back in the days, first 20 minutes some crazy strong confusing and paranoid high, after that lethargic body stone.. but this trippy racy effect lasted first smoke session, after smoking it few days you got tolerance to it, and then you just experienced lethargy and stupefying effect from the beginning. that is my expereince with NL from positronics.

:tiphat:

that's real close to my experience
i got some tolerance, but that racy edge didn't go away completely

GoatCheese

Veteran
It seems my high was different from everyone else's?

Did I just get a weird pheno and an earlier picked crop?

Sucks because then that's the 3 best weed I've ever smoked didn't have a name. I thought I could get a clear vibrant high from this.

If taken early, is there a chance?

Many times NL is mentioned as a "daytime indica" and people are prolly relating it to Sensi Seeds/Nirvana NL which, iirc, is a hybrid of two or three different NL lines created by Nevil.

Some NL plants are narcotic like plants in BCSC's NL5, so there are super stoney and daytime indica NL varieties

I have smoked both types

birde

LoveLy Coirsair . Is that a nft205? ... :D I use to have one that looked very similar to that in a Closet!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have always experienced Northern Lights as an indica, both in growth and effect. From NL to NL#5, always a potent indica.

I'm not sure you were smoking pure NL or a hybrid, but clear and schroom like is certainly not how I would describe NL. More like red eyed couch pilot.

Great strain if you can find it these days.

This is how I would describe MNS ORTEGA.

bigbag

Veteran
Atomic NL is a respectable version available in seed form. had good run's with NL#2 way back but some did go herm on me. also seen great NL#6 long time ago, was really tasty and colourful

Usto get the nl#5 out of long beach for a few years....had low calyx ratio completely frosted and smelt like pine and rubber was super over priced at the time but had that bag appeal.....NL#2 was always my fav was bummed to see she the hardest to find now a days

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Well, the real story goes according to Nevil, that the seed lot was marked (or he was told) NL5 was Afghan x Thai, and he has admitted that that info was possibly wrong and that NL5 is actually Afg/Hawiian.
Nevil also has stated that he didn't see Thai influence when he grew out the NL5 seeds, so there prolly isn't any Thai in NL5.

G `day GC

The NL #5 Clone that Nevil had was . A Bx . NL x Ha Bx to NL .

NL Crew used gumby hash tech to select males .
Borrowed from beer brewing tech . Hops in ice water shed their trichs .
Most resinous males used for breeding .

This tech morphed into the bubble hash extraction we know today .

Tech was shown to Nevil who showed Sam . Sam sold the instructions for the tech by mail order .

Sea of Green , Ice water Hash tech and NL all came to Holland at same time

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Dirt Life

Veteran
Oasis was the 2nd line I ever grew, first being Blueberry. Both DP fems... Had herms galore, BB more so, and the Oasis were big yielders, but, I was no where near an accomplished grower (still really not, lol). This was like 2004, maybe 03... Cant remember. I did write ups for both in the old strainguide @ OG (which are still accessable). What I remember of Oasis really wont mean much due to my horrible growing, and fuzzy memory. Ironically, I recently was able to salvage some old photos from my old account here, which was deleted years ago by finding a thread I made, then searching through it, and amazingly, finding pics I posted. Heres a couple pics of Oasis circa very early 2000's, and taken with like a 1 megapixel webcam, which were the shit @ the time (webcams)...

This post has no point other than reminiscing for me, so, sorry for just strolling down hazy memory lane. And it was 2004 according to date of the pic labels. Crazy to think that was 24 year old me... Im 37 now. :)

GoatCheese

Veteran
G `day GC

The NL #5 Clone that Nevil had was . A Bx . NL x Ha Bx to NL .

NL Crew used gumby hash tech to select males .
Borrowed from beer brewing tech . Hops in ice water shed their trichs .
Most resinous males used for breeding .

This tech morphed into the bubble hash extraction we know today .

Tech was shown to Nevil who showed Sam . Sam sold the instructions for the tech by mail order .

Sea of Green , Ice water Hash tech and NL all came to Holland at same time

Thanks for sharin

EB .

How's it going EB.

Nevil's NL5 a bx? I have never seen that info before. Are you sure, cause according to NL Seattle Greg NL5 is 50%-50% Afghani-Hawaiian.

See some quotes from my earlier post:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7903540&postcount=19

Notice Nevil also sad his original NL5 seeds "..only produced one unique individual." and to me he's talking about the original NL5 seed lot he received from NL Seattle Greg. I have never seen Nevil mentioning his NL5 being a bx-generation clone, but who knows..

Peace

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day GC

From a conversation with NL Greg .
He sent NL seeds to Ha , his buddy crossed them with a local strain . Sent seeds of the cross back . NL Greg said he then Bx d . That was his perso NL #5 .

He took the NL# 5 clone to Holland in a terrarium with its serrations of the leaves trimmed off .
That may be the reason Nevil couldn`t find better in the NL#5 stock . He didn`t have the Bx that NL Greg had but a gen before the Bx .

NL Greg then dropped off the scene and Nevil took a trip to the PNW to collect more NL .
NL Crew were underground and uncontactable so Nevil was introduced to the "Indian " a guy who had a son in the US Armed Forces . The NL Crew helped him out . With clones and grow equipment .

He was not part of the breeding programme . And Nevil could not get seeds that surpassed the NL , that NL Greg had already supplied him .

He came home with Big Bud , Hash Plant and G13 instead .

Thanks for sharin

EB .