What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's the difference between a $200 bong and a $8,900 bong?

JVonChron

All i can think about with expensive glass pieces is that glass is made to break. What do you do when a friend breaks an 8k piece? Most folk dont have a G saved let alone 8. I go for utility, alot of bongs dont draw right in my opinion because the glass thickness, tube proportion etc...seen many a dog tail break glass too.

shithawk420

Veteran
I agree with GS,ecept I would get an Ehle over a roor.if you do get a roor make sure it's German not U.S

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
As far as some of the heady glass goes folks look at them as art investments, that is, they will be able to sell them for equal if not more value then they paid originally. I don't know the market and if this is really the case or not.

You can't re-sell used bongs in illegal states once they've been 'tainted' with even a minuscule amount of resin.

In my state, if you walk into a head shop and just say the word, "bong", they will refuse to sell to you.

So much for re-sale value.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The resale value is user to user. Resale auctions are common. It is also a running joke that many buy when flush, only to resell a week or so later when flat broke. The extract "artist" yo-yo.

Demand is at an all time high and prices follow.

A large amount of work goes into many of these pieces. While I use a Chinese special, I have great respect for blowers like Fluid Motion, and one day will get a rig from him.

Which will not be resold for rent, nor will I have a 1000$ q-tip holder, 500$ carb cap, etc.

I appreciate fine work. I have nice tools in the kitchen, shop, etc, and don't mind paying for quality.

But heady pendy rigs? Walls of glass? Leave that shit to the scenesters that invest swathes of income into glass to make up for contributing nothing. Leave it to the pure consumer. Those that have to pay to play, that support us all. Without their total inability to provide for themselves, we'd all be up shit creek. I'd gouge my eyes out before paying half of what it costs to live the life they promote.

I can not understand 5 gram glob dabs myself, but I know what they paid for it and what it cost to make. None of you would turn down a higher price for your product.

So dab away and clog your rig with reclaim in one toke, someone here or near will make you more of what you don't know how.

bluntmassa

you get what you pay for...simple as that

And I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

I have 2 pretty nice glass bongs blown locally from a local Head shop and both cost less than $100 and both hit great.

Only reason a bong should cost thousands is if it's like a bad ass looking dragon or some shit.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Ive owned the whole gambit in glass bongs. From $7k units to what I now buy from China...

Although the more expensive bongs are NICE to look at, their functionality and hitting ability is really shitty....

Unless you buy a function purpose expensive rig like a Mothership...

My personal favorite bongs are Mobius's. I own 4 real ones and 2 fake one from China...

My daily drivers ARE the Chinese ones, They DO hit just as well and the Chinese people actually improved one of Mobius' bongs to function better then the original, their Matrix...

rykus

One of my best buddies from way back became a crazy glass blower, really cool that the industry changed and he gets great money for his efforts.

I also prefer smaller more function based stuff.... That and when I'm hitting a pipe and buddy tells me it's 50+k I stop wanting to do dabs, lol.... But other than that they are cool to look at...

Think a few guys fromJapan just had an exhibit locally. Where a piece sold up into the mid 200k.... Better hope your buddy has a trust fund or healthy organs when ya pass him that rig for a sesh, lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLPlLTyDOMP/?taken-by=stratisphereglass

I can understand it to an extent, if someone appreciates something enough, they shouldn't feel bad for paying whatever amount it takes. IMO, however, most of the "high end" stuff is really low quality when compared to non cannabis related glass art of similar value. I also do not find most asthetically pleasing personally, but there are a few pieces that stand out every now and again.

Lrus007

Veteran
had a custom german roor made.
7mm custom blue label a carb hole and colored ect.
took 8 months to get it. was like smoking out of a coke bottle.
i used it and harshed out for about a year. now it sit's in a corner.
have a cheap glass bong prob china much better hit for me.
but i can offer this advice. first figure out if you like a tube or
a beaker style bong. i bought a tube when myself like a beaker.
hope this helps in a way.
Lrus007

shithawk420

Veteran
Lol so much misinformation in here.glass bongs are glass art.period. just like all art it's subjective.if the blower is famous they sell for more money.look at those Jerome Baker tubes.i think they are ugly as hell but people will pay big bucks for them.eye of the beholder.and yeah a lot of blowers charge too much imo

insomniac_AU

Just get a Roor or something else in that price range. No one needs an $8,000 bong unless you have more money that you know what to do with.

Being from Australia and living in the cannabis dark ages there is very little in the way of glass here. I've always just used a chinese bong so I wouldn't mind getting something decent. Sounds like buying bongs is like buying wine. Is a $10,000 bottle of wine that much better than a $30 bottle?