What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow Journals vs Grow Diaries

Skip

Veteran
Many of you already know that we have a whole section of icmag for Grow Journals, but you might not know the advantages of using it.

The main advantage is that all your grow journals will appear in one place without getting lost on back pages of the Grow Diaries. Plus when someone views your profile, there's a button at top to access all your grow journals.

So if you want to keep your grows organized and easily accessible to all, use the Grow Journals.

Also using the grow journals allows your original post to be viewed on all pages.

The way to use it, is to start a "new journal entry" for each grow. Then you and others can comment on it until the journal is complete. Then start another new journal entry for your next grow.

So you might want to visit those grow journals more often and check out how they work.

And don't forget to post a brief summary of your grow in our Grow Reports area.

W

willyweed

me too ,you make it sound so simple skip. i will be back for more info for sure many thanks

oldhaole

Veteran
I don't know Skip.

If I was running a single strain it would be the way to go.

By it's very definition a journal is a bit limiting. I run bunches of strains in a year, and doing a journal on each would be...well....let's just say....one dimensional...aka boring.

Allow me to give you an example. This year I'm playing with a Thai strain. Start to finish it'll take eight months....a single journal on that would be like watching paint dry.

The diaries on the other hand can go wherever you want them to. I can encompass an entire year....many different strains....my progress in building the perfect garden. I can wander...talk story with my friends. All in the same place. And when it's done, I can kiss it goodbye and start all over. Just like most of us do every single year.

I think a Diary is a more personal thing. Covering more ground. If people like your shit...they'll find it and read it. If they don't, they won't.

Just my 2 cents.

McNerdius

Small quirk... It seems using the Journal has bitten me in the ass a bit. And by a bit, i mean just that - a very small bit. My journal posts don't count toward post count. I understand im still a noob to this site, havent been around that long, can always participate more, etc. But what can i say, i use the search function to find answers (and god DAMN there are a shitload of answers to be found here) and i post when i have something to share, never to bump my post count. Because of that, things tend to add up slowly for me here, and on any forum i'm part of.

I'll let the reader decide if post count matters or not. All i'm sayin is - should posting in one place count and the other not ?

Skip

Veteran
Yes, you're correct that the Journals don't add to the number of posts you have. Other areas and some forums (like the introduce yourself forum) also don't add to your total.

I'll looked at your journals and you should be given more credit for your posts there, so I've upped your post count now, so you should be a full member by tomorrow. :)

Thanks for pointing this out. If others have the same problem, PM me and I'll help you out.

-Skip

Small quirk... It seems using the Journal has bitten me in the ass a bit. And by a bit, i mean just that - a very small bit. My journal posts don't count toward post count. I understand im still a noob to this site, havent been around that long, can always participate more, etc. But what can i say, i use the search function to find answers (and god DAMN there are a shitload of answers to be found here) and i post when i have something to share, never to bump my post count. Because of that, things tend to add up slowly for me here, and on any forum i'm part of.

I'll let the reader decide if post count matters or not. All i'm sayin is - should posting in one place count and the other not ?

Headys

So to clarify, Grow Journals now count for post count? Or do we need to write you? I'm about to start a few for my various grows and want to start them the correct way.

relic1981

Veteran
simple question.. where is the grow journal located. i couldnt find it anywhere and im no noob just dont post alot of pics but im warming up to it. im heavily medicated at all times so no poking fun :)

Skip

Veteran
No, grow journals are not counted as posts in the main forum.

You can PM me when you are done posting a new Grow Report (summary of your grow) so it can be approved.

Limolax

Hi skip
I started my journal couple of days ago when I red your sticky. I was very interested but The problem with journals vs diaries are:
1-Your post don't count even thou u put more work into it
2-members read people's diaries more than journals. Idk why that is.
Since I am newbie I want people to see my grow and educate me. The more I read on the Internet I realize that I don't know shit about growing.
Anyways I am gonna make a diary 2

Is there a way to put pages in a journal so it doesn't have to load the entire journal? I have a lot of pictures in mine and it is pretty slow loading.

Can someone help me please

Can someone help me please

I have a grow diary and I need help on a question I have up loaded a pic I have no idea what else to do other then message on a busy thread.

TahoeTops

How do I link my grow diary to my profile so it shows up at the bottom of my replies? Thanks

First go to your diary and then highlight and copy the URL.

Then you need to edit your signature.

Second, Click on "My IC" tab. Then on left side of page, click on "edit signature".

Type a phrase that identifies your link. Highlight the phrase.

Then in the edit signature window, above the text area where you type, there is a small button that looks like a blue and green earth with a chain link below it. Click that "earth button".

It brings up a small window asking for the link to your page. Paste the URL that you copied from your diary main page.

I hope this makes sense!