What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush did a gardening

YukonKronic

Well, it's still way too early to draw conclusions, but so far I have no complaints about the Panama. Other than I wish it stretched more, and I wish it was a red pheno. But I have a few more seeds, and I'll be ordering the feminized version on the next order, so I really do want to find a keeper and I'm not going to stop until I do. It doesn't grow the way I expected it to, like a jungle sativa... It's rather a lot like a squat indica plant, and like I said, it didn't stretch much. But if one knew that ahead of time, one could adjust. So I don't know if I'll keep this one, because I plan on getting the fem variety soon, but if it's a common pheno or something, no big deal.

I'm looking forward to the Golden Tiger grows myself! I'm still only going to do one clone at a time, so I have to choose which one to do first. I kind of want to know more about that vining pheno, the one that grows outward instead of up. I wonder if it's worth keeping around, and so I keep wanting to do that one first, but if it sucks, or gives me a sucky yield, I won't be happy, so maybe I should go with one of the other ones. And at this point, I don't remember which of those three is which. One of them never showed me any pre-flowers, and like a fool I never marked it. I would have preferred to go with one of the known females.

But whatever, it's all good. I'm just going to stop trimming the mothers and let them bush out a bit. The one I'm looking for had an identifiable structure. So it's all good. I'll identify her, take about 4 cuts, and throw one or two under the screen in the next round.

Didn't realize you were worried the viny one would disappoint... having grown prolly at least 6 or 7 different plants and multiple phenotypes I can tell you it will almost certainly be worth growing... any phenotypes that had a drawback like lower yields always had another trait that made up for it...

Definitely not telling you yer bidness just thought I would throw it out there that any of the phenotypes you have will most likely be some kind of awesome one way or the other..

YukonKronic

Dubi messaged me and suggested that my plants are being underfed. I immediately replied to him that I don't see how, since they're showing nute burn on the tips, and I've had to back off. But it got me thinking, because I mean, this is his plant, he's gotta know what he's talking about. And I've been wondering why the "fade" was happening so early on the fan leaves, which had to be what he's talking about, so I thought about it some more...

Then it came to me. I pulled the wrapping off of the rockwool cube, and lo and behold:

View Image

It's frickin rootbound! :bashhead:

I never thought about that because it's never happened to me before in a rockwool cube. That seems strange, but it's the truth. And I've grown plants in these same cubes that lived for close to a year before transplanting them, so it's just odd to me. But that's what's going on.

So tomorrow I'm going to go buy some clay balls and pour them in there, submerging the cube. I just might start doing that permanently from now on in all of my flood tables.

Look at me... an old dog learning new tricks.

..... you don't think.... it's not really plausible that mine are rootbound in a 150 gallon bed is it... lol had me hoping I figured out my own early fade.

I'm still gonna check when I cut. I will say that I've noticed dirt stays COLD at floor lvl in the winter... I bet cold soil is giving me at least part of the issue. Next year maybe I'll rebuild with heat traces in soil..

Your Panama looks decent... hope you get extra bulk now the roots can wander:dance013:

Azure

The Panamas are monsters and when they hit their stride, they explode.

I grew Panamas outdoors that reached over 12 feet tall in uncultivated native soil, so it would be difficult for me grow such an explosive and vigorous growing plant indoors.

The genetics are top notch for sure.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well, I went all around town today trying to find some clay balls, but no luck. Couldn't even find any lava rock. So I guess I'm going to have to order something, and that means it'll probably be rockwool flock, or croutons or something. Much lighter, easier on shipping costs that way.

For right now, since I have no other options, I've removed the timer and now the water pump is on permanently. So basically, this is now kind of an undercurrent system. I can't imagine it hurting anything, so why not?

brickweeder

Well, I went all around town today trying to find some clay balls, but no luck. Couldn't even find any lava rock. So I guess I'm going to have to order something, and that means it'll probably be rockwool flock, or croutons or something. Much lighter, easier on shipping costs that way.

For right now, since I have no other options, I've removed the timer and now the water pump is on permanently. So basically, this is now kind of an undercurrent system. I can't imagine it hurting anything, so why not?

Hey Hush,in the past, I've used pea gravel from the hardware store, after a good rinse....worked like a charm in hempy buckets, so that would likely work for you in place of the clay pellets (and they are cheap).

Also, is your panama lanky or more stocky? My previous panama grow was the lanky one (with red petioles), stretched like 400%, and that one went nute def after 2 weeks under 12/12. So I up-potted at 2 weeks and one more time at 6 weeks into flower and that stopped the yellowing. She really packed it on and had a nice fade at the end. My current panama is a stocky pheno (green petioles) and she is not nearly as stretchy, nute hungry, or prolific as the lanky one, but she smells sublime.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hey Hush,in the past, I've used pea gravel from the hardware store, after a good rinse....worked like a charm in hempy buckets, so that would likely work for you in place of the clay pellets (and they are cheap).

Also, is your panama lanky or more stocky? My previous panama grow was the lanky one (with red petioles), stretched like 400%, and that one went nute def after 2 weeks under 12/12. So I up-potted at 2 weeks and one more time at 6 weeks into flower and that stopped the yellowing. She really packed it on and had a nice fade at the end. My current panama is a stocky pheno (green petioles) and she is not nearly as stretchy, nute hungry, or prolific as the lanky one, but she smells sublime.

Pea gravel, huh. :chin: I saw some of that at the hardware store, and wondered about that. But I'm concerned that it might be too heavy, is the problem. That's why I was hoping to find lava rock. But it was cheap enough. Maybe I could just give it a shot.

And honestly, you now have me thinking about using it in hempys instead of coco! I had never thought of that option before. I don like that coco retains so much nutrient. I know people who grow with organics should care about cation exchange capacity, but it's counter productive in hydro when it comes time for the flush

Thanks for chiming in! :tiphat:

Oh, and about the Panama... I honestly don't know for sure, but I suspect this is a stocky variety. Since this was the only one of my Panama seeds that germinated, I have no basis of comparison. But because I topped and supercropped, it's hard to say. And then because of the rootbound problem, I now don't know if the fact that the stretch was so minimal was a result of its genes. So I'll have to give this one a round two in order to properly assess her.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Hush, have you ever grown in the classic perlite/vermiculite hempys? How do you think hempys compare in terms of yield and rate of growth to a flood and drain type hydro grow like you're running?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hempys have the potential for a much larger yield, no doubt. And yes, I actually prefer the coco style hempys, but perlite/vermiculite is the bomb. Huge fan of hempys. Hell, that's what my Golden Tiger mothers are being kept in: coco hempys.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Day 48.

HnxOIKR.jpg

F40adN9.jpg

6S3mqLN.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Day 52.

b7O9Lok.jpg

UpdKEBV.jpg

nPl9Rlv.jpg

enc3iNM.jpg

You can still see the nute burn from the rootbound problems, but I believe it's not getting worse. I've had the flood table constantly flooding for close to a week now, and that has caused the growth to take off again. So let's see how crappy the yield will be now! :biggrin:

YukonKronic

So freakin beautiful!!! Really inspirational work Hush, the consistency and beauty of your flowers speaks to a level of skill that is difficult to achieve without lots of practice.. I hope my scrogs continue to move towards similarity with yours:tiphat:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Awwww, shucks, I'm just a dude with serious ADHD who can't stop messing with everything, so that does tend to lead to a uniform canopy... But honestly, this isn't one of my best. I'm a little disappointed at myself for not thinking about rootboundedness (is that a word? :thinking:), and I've been feeling a little rusty. Growing is clearly like riding a bicycle... You never forget how, but it sure does feel clunky after a few years [mostly] off. I'm making dumb mistakes.

So honestly, while I admit this SCROG does look nice, aesthetically, it's going to be a lower yield than it should have been. But that's cool. I have always thought it's important being real about this kind of stuff on my online journals. A lot of people only show you their successes, but I freely share my less-than-successes as well.

You win some, and you lose some, but when you keep on the path, the ones you lose are still pretty dang good.

:cool:

YukonKronic

Lol I knew you were a little down on yield... that's why I drew comparison to my scrog... I might get a nice yield (I think? I'm still not great at estimating weight) but as you pointed out earlier I will have a greater range of quality in the buds.

Figured maybe if u were down on yield then the outstanding quality might cheer you up:dance013:

Lol dang perfectionist....reminds me of me!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
XY9NFwl.jpg

:biggrin:

You are correct, the quality of these buds is going to be a bit more uniformly top shelf. There are some smaller, wispy popcorn buds under the screen, but not too much, honestly. So that is the silver lining here, for sure. YOUR yield, on the other hand, is going to be sick! You should be proud of that scrog, my man.

JustSumTomatoes

Thanks for doing this journal (as well as your others) Hush. This is a great learning experience for me as I've never done an indoor grow before and when I do somewhere down the road I'll have an idea of how to hit the ground running. I also appreciate the honesty and straightforwardness of your grow(s). Watching both the successes and problems of a grow gives me a down to earth idea of what to expect and not to get to down on myself when problems arise.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well this grow keeps getting more and more interesting... Last night I left the tent unzipped and the room lights on all night long. God damnit. So let's see if that stressed the plant out or not. Siiiiiiiiiigh.

JustSumTomatoes

Well if worst comes to worst you'll have plenty of fem seeds to hold you over. I actually over pollinated my plants this season and I'm practically swimming in seeds. They don't bother me too much as all my bud gets made into edibles.