What's new

Legal Rosin: Any Reason to think it will be any good?

fatigues

Veteran
Speculative Question:

While highly industrialized processing favors distillate production, does anybody know if any larger legal producers in the USA have tried their hand at mass producing rosin? And if they have, what production methods have been used and is any of it any good?

Certainly the LPs have a devil of a time currently predicting shelf life and how that influences potential for mould, and so we see Flash Drying, no curing, and irradiation treatment of dried flower.

Practically speaking, when legal, how do those manufacturing/processing issues impact legal non-distillate concentrates, especially rosin?

For example: Is there such a thing as mouldy rosin? I have never heard of it, but I suppose it doesn't mean it can't spoil somehow.

Anybody know, or think they do?

Gmack

Lots of legal Cali producers making it. Total garbage bud like you're talking about is usually made into vape carts aka hotdog water.

ortsa1

why is everyone so concerned with legal weed having to be good? Why would it have to be good. The people who don't have solid connections to buy for cheap are fart huffing NPCs. They don't care they will buy whatever the tv tells them to buy

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Speculative Question:

For example: Is there such a thing as mouldy rosin? I have never heard of it, but I suppose it doesn't mean it can't spoil somehow.

Anybody know, or think they do?

I think there is. If its stored with a high enough moisture content, and if not kept in a freezer, a large sample left at room temperature for weeks seems to develop an unpleasant funk.

blastfrompast

Veteran
They will tumble bone dry buds in our -40'C winters and press that :p

MB will be known as the Rosin Capital of Canada LOL...

junk in = junk out.

material quality will 100% influence the outcome. you get that creamy white rosin from perfectly grown plants. take a look at the jungle boys Extract accounts on IG.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
That's a simple statement that doesn't really maintain accuracy even still.

GIGO of course, but creamy whiteness is not a given. Strains, freshness and temperature determine color, not perfectly grown-ness.

clearheaded

HC wants to lower the barriers for entry. its in there best interest to allow as many micro grows as possible. once those get rocking expect the market shift. shit mega LP product will go down. theyll send most of it to germany. And leave us with only quality or VERY cheap products. of course this all will take time.

That's a simple statement that doesn't really maintain accuracy even still.

GIGO of course, but creamy whiteness is not a given. Strains, freshness and temperature determine color, not perfectly grown-ness.

well that's where we will disagree. press garbage weed and then press some quality home grown and tell me the difference. quality starting material is everything.

blackone

Veteran
I don't think garbage bud will be very economical for rosin, since there is a pretty much constant amount of resin that will be trapped. Buds with a low resin content will not have a low yield - they will have a very low yield - while 100% of the resin above the treshold will be able to be extracted.

fatigues

Veteran
I don't think garbage bud will be very economical for rosin, since there is a pretty much constant amount of resin that will be trapped. Buds with a low resin content will not have a low yield - they will have a very low yield - while 100% of the resin above the threshold will be able to be extracted.

Well, does that really matter? If you start with a large amount of material and extract what rosin as you are able, you can then just feed whatever is left over into the distillate hopper, and extract out all the rest with CO2. There's no reason that need result in any inefficiency in terms of material loss. CO2 extraction at scale is ruthlessly efficient.

They are operating at very different scales, perhaps with very different methods, too.

What I was more interested in was what industrial processes might be brought to bear upon it both in extraction and in later processing and packaging. Vacuum packed rosin that is refrigerated will keep a very long time; but refrigeration appears to be a necessary requirement. I am curious as to whether that is simply only for longer term inventory storage, or will be necessary at the point of sale as well.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
well that's where we will disagree. press garbage weed and then press some quality home grown and tell me the difference. quality starting material is everything.

You never understood my reply properly. I agreed with that part, Garbage in , garbage out (GIGO).

But great rosin is not only creamy white, and that is not a sign of perfectly grown plants.

growshopfrank

Veteran
I don't think garbage bud will be very economical for rosin, since there is a pretty much constant amount of resin that will be trapped. Buds with a low resin content will not have a low yield - they will have a very low yield - while 100% of the resin above the treshold will be able to be extracted.

I may be talking out my ass but I think that a lot of "garbage" weed gets its label over low bag appeal.
If the product is grown for extraction with very low trimming requirements it will be more grower friendly for most folks.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
junk in = junk out.

material quality will 100% influence the outcome. you get that creamy white rosin from perfectly grown plants. take a look at the jungle boys Extract accounts on IG.

Freeze dried hash.

That shites made for mass appeal.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran

It is but not all quality starting material produces in the same way. Some plants are a lot more waxy. Some plants are later harvested... there are many variables.

Latest posts

Latest posts