What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gypsy & DG's Visit To Babylon

G

basselope said:
LOL......I have always heard of that from a few people around here but I got to see it first hand a couple of weeks ago visiting an elderly customer of mine......

heh...I only saw him do it once. He pulled them out of the oven, broke them open with a spoon and got down to bidness. Made me wanna barf..........I had to leave the room. LOL!!!

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Cobbler? As a matter of fact........

Cobbler? As a matter of fact........

Hey redbone....as a matter of fact Gypsy even got to indulge in mom's secret recipe Peach Cobbler....which she promptly made using some fresh peaches I found at a road-side stand, along with Hope watermellons. The watermellon was too big to fit in the refrigerator for chilling, so we stuck it in a cooler and covered it in ice. Now that's down home eating!

9HotSprings5-med.jpg

The peaches were perfect....huge...like small grapefruits, and very very sweet and juicy. Just had to grab a couple bags!
9HotSprings6-med.jpg

:wave:dg

redbone

Cheers

Cheers

Yeah, D.G: Looks like "The Gypsy" got himself a fine edu- mo- cation that weekend. Hope you gave your Mom a kiss for that good eatin'!

Bodhi

Awesome!

Awesome!

Heya DG and Gypsy :wave:

You guys are incredible! When are you gonna come do a tour of Canada!?! :D

peace n' love
-sun

p.s. That's a sweet poem Ms.Grat3ful!!! :)

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Deep Southern Hospitality

Deep Southern Hospitality

...before you go someplace you may have what I call preconceived notions. These are the cummilative impressions of the information you may have received about a place before the event of actually going there. I had never really travelled in the deep south of the United States other than spending three weeks in New Orleans many many moons ago working at an old honky tonk called Old Man Rivers as a security roadie type person.

After four days in Florida being pampered, pummled, massaged, anointed, fed, watered, driven and made a fuss of we boarded the plane at Fort Lauderdale Airport for the flight to the state where Dutchgrown had grown up. This flight would take us through Atlanta, Georgia and on to Little Rock. Arkansas.

DG had surprised me at the Boca Raton resort in Florida by booking me into some mad treatment ritual called the Trilogy. This entailed me giving my body to some short guy with a mustache for 3 hours while he took me through the Spa Palazzo and did all these crazy things to my body....like scrubbing it all down with some sort of herbal chammomile body scrub. Then he led me in my silly robe and slippers supplied by the spa to another room where i had to get into this huge jacuzzi bath thing and then he turned up the many jets that blasted water at my body until it brought tears to my eyes from the hydro-static-pummelling pressure of the water hitting my body, making it smart..... till it was just on the edge of pain.

After 45 minutes of being bombarded with H2O at a ridiculous velocity my flesh felt like freshly tenderized meat and this meat was putty in the hands of the masseuse in the next room. Although I would have never put myself voluntarily in the hands of strangers that would do this to my body, I must say that everyone's gotta try it at least once for after it was all over I felt like a combat soldier that had made it back from the front unscathed and with a healthy glow and fragrant countenance about him...LOL

The following day DG took me out for a cruise in the motor down to Key Biscayne where we had planned to pull over and smoke a fat one of the 'Bob's Haze. It was a nice drive with plenty to look at in the Miami skyline and beach/sea scene. At one point we came over a crest on the freeway and there it was, Miami, with it's pastel colored skyscrapers and tropical air.

Well eventually we pulled over near some guys that were fishing and others that were picnicing and DG went to her purse to find the spliff which wasn't there. Oh dear...never mind...the weed was back at the resort so that's where we went.

So Arkansas it was, via Atlanta, Georgia after giving back the rental Jag to Hertz. We were going to visit DG's people and also meet up with friends from the IC Mag website and hopefully be able to taste some locally grown herbal wonders.

The emotion started on the plane before we landed at Little Rock for DG, for her priorities were to see her mother, brothers and sister and also to pay her respects and adorn her father's grave with flowers, since she had not been back home in a few years and I think that we all have this same affinity with returning to the place that we knew so well as we grew up and became free enough to travel to the other side of the world.

Before we had left Europe some IC Mag members had contacted us from the area and we had told them of our impending visit. Mr. and Mr. Grat3fulh3ad really made the trip for us that much better by being there to welcome us at a bar at a Holiday Inn very close to the airport. So as soon as we arrived and managed to hire a Jeep we met up with them and they showed us some real southern hospitality by presenting us with a herbal gift of some home grown cannabis that would see us through the five days that we were to spend here in this state. What a lovely couple they were, always smiling and laughing along with us, making my first impressions of this neck of the woods absolutely positive.

G

Love the story, I hope you two had a great time. You guys were so close to me. I have been to Little Rock and the surrounding area so much with my job.

Finally a story that portrays us Southerners as what we really are instead of a bunch of snaggle tooth rednecks. Hope you two enjoyed the hospitality, you don't it everywhere and from my expeirence the people from Arkansas are some of the best, Mt. View with the big Rocking Chair on the Square, some of the nicest people anywhere in my book. Been to many more of the small towns over there but that one sticks out most to me.

Wish I could have met you two but I understand that if everyone knew it would be a big bust just waiting to happen. You found two great hosts in the ones you hooked up with.

Anyway more Ar pics please, makes me feel at home even though I am from Tn, just over the bridge.

Peace ... Mo,

G

at least you picked up some peaches....your trip would have been wasted if you had not...those peaches are killer especially in home made ice cream......!

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
When I think of the south, many foods come to mind, especially if a bad case of the munchies set in :p Much was the case our first day....where shall we eat??? Ah yes, BBQ....so off to Micky's BBQ in Hot Springs it was:D I had eaten there many years ago and remembered it being quite good. So Gypsy, my mom, my sister and I all piled in the Jeep (after Gypsy and I enjoyed a nice spliff compliments of Mr and Mrs Grat3fulh3ad:p)

I really wanted Gypsy to taste some real BBQ.....can't even get good BBQ sauce in Europe so I knew he was in for a treat!

9Arkansas3-med.jpg

Micky's is your typical family operated southern hole-in-the-wall type place.
9HotSprings3-med.jpg

9HotSprings2-med.jpg

Gypsy ordered a bit of everything!
9HotSprings4-med.jpg

dg

G

Ooooooo the staple of diet, ribs, beans, and a potatoe.

I ate at Mickys one time on my way to the Ozarks (Mountain Home, AR) and it was killer.

DG, maybe A-Dam needs a good BBQ joint to get sloppy southern barbecue goodness.

Now that's eatin Gypsy, Dutch is going to bring ya to the Southern side of things little by little it looks like.

Great pics Dutch

Tex

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
hazy...it's only a bit dark on the outside....it's been in a smoke oven. That is normal unless it's been wrapped in aluminum foil to protect the skin. That's a southern style baked potato! LOL

Hey Tex....now I KNOW you know what good BBQ is living in the big state of TX I've eaten Texas BBQ many times and this was certainly comparable to any of the best Texas has to offer. Micky's smokes their meats just right, and using lots of mesquite and hickory woods.

dg

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Okay, enough of the good eating for a bit....there really is more to see than just good eating:p

After we had our BBQ it was decided we'd go down to the main part of Hot Springs where the bath houses are located. In this area you can also fill your water jugs for home full of mineral rich Hot Springs water. Many swear by this water, saying it is much better for you, but that's really nothing the Indians didn't already know a long long time ago.
9HotSprings9-med.jpg

9HotSprings11.jpg

We stopped in for a look around at the Arlington Hotel as this would be the place we'd meet up with Mr and MsGrat3fulh3ad and Green Lantern and his Mrs in a few days.
9HotSprings10-med.jpg

Then up to the top of Hot Springs Mountain....wanted Gypsy to see how Hot Springs in located in the crater of an extinct volcano. From up there you can see how the mountains form a bowl around the area.

There is an observation tower at the top where you can take an elevator up to the deck up top for a better view. The elevator is the kind with glass for walls, so providing a great view all the way up.

For some reason which I still have no idea of why this happened, but after the elevator was going up a moment and we just cleared the tree line, I began to panic....some sort of sensation came over me that I've never had before which made me feel as though we were going to fall...VERY unpleasant feeling. My heart was racing, pounding in my chest, I had a feeling of feverish warmth and my hands were sweating. Worse part was getting to the top and knowing that I had to take that same elevator going all the way back down...because there was no way in heck I was going to climb down outdoor stairs. I've been on much taller mountains than this in Europe and Colorado, this was just a hill compared to some of those, so I have no idea what happened, but was real spooky.
9HotSprings44-med.jpg

Great views! Can even see The Arlington Hotel from there.
9HotSprings16-med.jpg

9HotSprings15-med.jpg

This is a new sign in Hot Springs....well, new for me cause I hadn't been there to see it since it was erected. :p
9HotSprings1-med.jpg

:wave:dg