What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stealth cab closetmaid 2 door

jonhova

Whats up microgowers

Cab design
I decided on https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IT6E74/ref=asc_df_B002IT6E745335346/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B002IT6E60&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198088344845&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1591504286321075889&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031207&hvtargid=pla-348738928016&th=1&psc=1#askDPSearchSecondaryView_1515890891657 as my next stealth cab.

This cab is exactly what panicmode used to great effect. I live in an apertment and need 100% stealth so loght proof and smell will be necessary.

Lights
I plan on using 8 screw in LED bulbs i have lying around mounted on the ceiling.

Ventilation
1 pc fan blowing on the top of the lights and a stronger pc fan blowing out the top of the cab. For a carbon scrubber im torn between using the pencil holder or using something like blynx has in his cab. A wooden square sandwiched with furnace filter, carbon, and hardware cloth.

I have a few questions.

1. Whats the best way to light proof the cab?
2. Did panicmode delete his thread? I cant find it :(

Athos

Best is a relative term.

There's weather striping (which didn't work for me), I remember blynx mentioning using bicycle rubber band I'm using folded black garbage bags, which worked really well and are dirt cheap.

jonhova

I looked at your pictures and i totally get it now. :) im definitely going to use trash bags and a noctua fan.

Last edited:
a wooden frame (with weatherstriping on it if needed) on the inside blocking the light that otherwise would hit the outside/gaps in the door, paint that black for more lightproofness
(inner tubes also work in some cases were striping wont)

good luck on making it soundproof, those fans go woooooh

Athos

Specially if you are going to put a carbon filter, even silent fans get noisier when attached to a filter.

jonhova

The scrubber will be on top of the cab like blynx has and the fan underneath it pushing into the filter. Athos said his fan is silent.

Athos

It is, but the resistance of scrubber adds a slight noise that in the middle of the night can be heard.
I'll be changing it for the Noctua A8 and use it undervolted, in order to make it completely silent, even in the dead of night

jonhova

Oh well i ordered the fan you recommend. It was only $15. If i can get it to be near silent to not attract attention im fine. If anything i can put a radio on top to mask any noise.

what i mean is, if you put a silent fan on 6v and put it in an cabinet, and your mother in law stands in front of it, she WILL hear it

if you take a more powerful fan at 12v with filter, it will make noise.

the majority of people cannot sleep with the silent buzzing of a computer in the same room, ive gotten mine to sounds like that (so with computer on i almost cannot hear it) but with the computer off, in the middle of the night, it sounds pretty loud

jonhova

For sure. Its in my bedroom which i doubt my landlord will ever spend more than 5 seconds in doing yearly walk through inspections.

bucketbrah

I bought one of these a few years ago, but gave up how to light leak a double door. A single door design is much easier to light proof, ect. spacebucket? micro 1'x'1'2' tent perhaps? I just got my micro tent in a closet, beside a suit case and they look the same.

jonhova

I have some trash bags ill try out and if that doesnt work ill try a bike tire.

The middle part will be interesting.

as long as you make light have to go around a corner it will be lightproof

Arkay_RSK36_Light_Tight_Seal_Kit_176996.jpg

for the door itself you use the same principle; if you make one side have a piece of lightblocking material 'sticking out' it will cover the slit when closed, for exttra stealth have the other sides flap overlap the first

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best is a relative term.

There's weather striping (which didn't work for me), I remember blynx mentioning using bicycle rubber band I'm using folded black garbage bags, which worked really well and are dirt cheap.

View Image View Image

Bicycle inner tubes wasn't me, I use weather stripping.
Weather stripping has to be placed just right or you will still get little light leaks.

What worked best for me was when I could apply the weather stripping to the door while it was closed. Problem is, you have to be able to access the cab through the top or back in order to do it that way.

The scrubber will be on top of the cab like blynx has and the fan underneath it pushing into the filter. Athos said his fan is silent.

If you have a silent fan, I recommend putting the fan on the other side of the scrubber and pulling the air through the scrubber instead of pushing it.

Looking forward to seeing this build and first round!

jonhova

More updates

More updates

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I went to a local bike shop and asked nicely for trash inner tubes. They had regular thickeness tubes which worked great. I stapled that shit with the cheapest pneumatic? gun from HD w 1/4” staples.

I taped the sides with 2 pieces of gorilla tape on each side. Conpletely light proof.

Now on to the top and bottom. I have D - shaped weather stripping for the top and bottom. The middle section has me buffaloed. How can i light proof this part?

“Huffnpuff” thanks for the pics. I cant tell what to do with that practically. How can i light proof the middle section of my cab?

I bought a 2.5” hole saw for $17 yikes. This will be drilled into the top of my cab. The fan will be mounted in a tupperware housing a la athos style. Ill drill a tiny hole through the side and caulk it for the 12 volt wiring. The the top will have another hole drilled thr same size as the hole in the cab 2.5”.

Connecting the tupperware to the carbon scrubber will be tricky.
I think ill be using craft store “plastic mesh (hardware cloth)” for the inner and outer layers, stocking and duct tape. Im thinking 3” and 4”.

How to grt this to taper into a tupperware....any ideas anyone?

“BLYNX” your suggestion for pulling rather than pushing... how would i design that? If the fan doesnt make a ton of noise i wouldnt mind trying that option. Still havent got thr fan in yet.

Ill post a pic of the pc carbon scrubber im bading my design off.

Drop That Sound

That's gonna be tough to seal up. Maybe take out the magnetic door stops, and screw in a stud from top to bottom?

You might as well just screw in a simple frame all the way around, just a bit farther in than the doors on the inside. That way you can just slap in a removable panel up against it, before you close the doors. Something cheap like 1/4 under layment plywood, or even a lighter sheet of laminate.

Otherwise you could staple a whole sheet of black canvas, and add a zipper, just like the front of a grow tent.

Oh one more thing, I would toss a few sticky back vinyl floor tiles to protect the floor, and caulk all the inside corners with silicone.

Good luck to building your double door grow maid ;)

Sure you lose a few cubic inches of space , and have do deal with a panel every time you open the cabinet doors, but it would be light proof.

jonhova

Caulked

Caulked

DTS hey man :tiphat:

I caulked the corners up real nice. The middle part i used a long strip of gorrila duct tape and the top/bottom i used weather stripping with the staple gun. Im a cabinet cowboy after all that gun slinging.

The magnet works great you just gotta lay a piece of duct tape behind it and staple that too.

Luckily the 1/4 staples dont penetrate the wood so it looks great.

Next up is the lights. I can mont them to the ceiling with spare wood or use a shelf and drill out holes for them to hang by.:biggrin::dance013:

the same as you did with the sides really
Darkroom_door.jpg

solid-wood-door-frame-500x500.jpg

i cant find any decent pics but
this shows it a bit, a piece that covers the slit between the doors: https://images-na.ssl-
61gJfCymG5L._SX524_.jpg

hardware stores carry alu/pvc piping materials, you should be able to find somehting that will fit on your fan