What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD right time to harvest

FGB

Guys
I’d like to ask you if somebody heard about this statement:

“Researchers have found that CBD levels in cannabis tend to peek about one week earlier than THC”

If somebody have scientific evidence pls write here, :thank you:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I would like to see the study and make sure it's peak levels, and not peak percentages. As far as I'm aware, all cannabinoids tend to peak at around the same time.

Unless you're making edibles or topicals for 'just' the CBD, you're going to want to harvest any strain when it's 'ripe.' This will give you cannabis which lasts the longest, is able to be the maximum potency for the strain, and have the most complex terpene profile. It will not be sleepy in any way (unless it's naturally a heavily CBN rich strain).

Early cut will shorten the time of effect, increase the amount needed for the same effect, reduce yield and have a not-quite full expression of the terpenes. A rather large triple whammy. Oh yeah, it will be a bit speedier and more upbeat. Whee. :tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
If you are going to make edibles, I do recall reading that the decarb time is longer for CBD.

FGB

I would like to see the study and make sure it's peak levels, and not peak percentages. As far as I'm aware, all cannabinoids tend to peak at around the same time.

Unless you're making edibles or topicals for 'just' the CBD, you're going to want to harvest any strain when it's 'ripe.' This will give you cannabis which lasts the longest, is able to be the maximum potency for the strain, and have the most complex terpene profile. It will not be sleepy in any way (unless it's naturally a heavily CBN rich strain).

Early cut will shorten the time of effect, increase the amount needed for the same effect, reduce yield and have a not-quite full expression of the terpenes. A rather large triple whammy. Oh yeah, it will be a bit speedier and more upbeat. Whee. :tiphat:

Thank you Douglas for your answer,
The only stuff that I got is this:
“Suzy q is a high-cbd, low-thc strain. finished flowers of this strain have tested as high as 59:1 (cbd:thc) making this strain ideal for concentrate manufacturers and anyone seeking serious medicinal relief. researchers have found that cbd levels in cannabis tend to peek about one week earlier than thc, therefore medicinal patients would be well-advised to harvest this plant early”.

There is also another info from the company RQS about the extraction:
“Most high-CBD hemp varieties are intersex plants, so they never actually transition to the flowering phase before they are harvested. The CBD comes primarily from the leaves and stalks”

Actually my point of view is like yours Douglas.. also becouse when the glandular trichomes are clear with very little, if any coloration, THC levels are at their peak with CBD and CBN

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CBG gets converted to CBD or THC. CBD can convert to THC. It's my understanding as the plant matures some of it is converted thus resulting in a peak and a slight decline as the flower matures.

It's a false correlation though, to assume that CBD is ready before any other part of the plant. If you harvest immature cannabinoids, they are still immature, and will lack the nuances granted from terpenes produced during later flower.

Personally, I think a HUGE problem with the CBD industry currently is most flowers are harvested immature, not because of trying to achieve some maximum CBD content, but trying to prevent THC from developing and breaking the federal thresholds, ie "going hot", as it has become called.

I guess it doesn't matter though, when all people are getting is an isolate in whatever various carrier the particular vendor uses. In many ways, that undermines the whole purpose of a full plant extract when you lose the synergy of the many other compounds present in cannabis. @Douglas hit the nail on the head perfectly.

This is precisely why, THE BEST CBD plants are very intelligently bred from drug type cultivars and refined to meet the hemp parameters vs a true hemp cultivar being grown on acreage and extracted.

I know of farmers who still have over a million pounds of what is simply being called "CBD Biomass", but the material is only 1.2% - 2% CBD. It's industrial hemp, but if you are working truly commercial levels of material for extract and then refinement into isolate...

You have a volume driven supply chain that doesn't demand quality input - go figure - and yet you see these vials of 500-1000mg CBD extracts selling for $50-$120.

Something doesn't seem right here to me.

That's why, like anything else, if it's going to be done right, it won't happen over night. It's just like cannabis at this point. There are no high CBD hemp lines that have true homozygosity for all given traits. You have to hunt for a clone. You have to make mothers during the off season and keep them vegging under artificial light so you can take about 3,000 clones per acre. You'll plant 2,500 of them.

That's how you ensure you have a quality product that doesn't put you in a situation of having to harvesting early nasty beaster CBD flowers.

I'm flowering a pheno from Med Tree Seeds Suzy Q Bx2 now - :respect: - I'm hoping for at least a 42:1 plant to surface eventually in the seeds. It's like anything else though. If you want to right plants to play in the CBD hemp game, you need to buckle down and sort some seeds, get everything tested, and find some keepers.

I'm not sure why so many people think there is a short cut to the hemp industry? Besides that, let's not forget, CBD is NOT the only valuable aspect of hemp. The plant is amazing for HUNDREDS of uses. There is a huge textile market and a huge nutritional market that needs large scale, quality, organic growers as well.

Hemp really should be the next massive agricultural crop explosion - not just for CBD. The world is bigger than that and the Feds are protecting GW Pharma patents when it comes to CBD anyway. Not to mention, I've heard from many, Ghana, is preparing to become a major world player in hemp and CBD, which if the case, it will be impossible to compete, simply due to labor costs alone.

dank.Frank

Last edited: