What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco DTW can’t get it to work :-(

Hi if someone can offer any helpful suggestions before I give up I’d really appreciate it.

Veg seems to go really well then in flower I get terrible leafy buds and a really bad yield running DTW def N toxicity claw etc

This is using 9x 8L fabric pots and 2.4kw
1st run was with Shogun nutes at about 2/2.5ml per litre EC 1.2-1.6. Running 3 feeds per day and lots of run off. I think that the plants weren’t using much of the nutrient before the next feed so there was too much run off??

The next run was using GHE nutes in a 6/9 ratio with Epsom. This was 2 rooms one room did ok the other terrible.

I have a friend running the same strain but in big pots with wet dry cycles and feeds them higher without any problems. This make me think some part of the DTW small ish pots is related to the problems.

What things could cause a N tox in DTW?

Thanks

UncleBens

I use Canna Coco nutes and mostly just follow the light feeding schedule on thier grow guide to be honest...

9 plants per 4x4 floor space, 6 litre pots, watered once a day with a ph of 5.8-6 and things go fine :)

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
I use Canna Coco nutes and mostly just follow the light feeding schedule on thier grow guide to be honest...

9 plants per 4x4 floor space, 6 litre pots, watered once a day with a ph of 5.8-6 and things go fine :)

Similar but ph 6.2 and multi feeds, 5 per cycle and 20% waste, for 4 plants I run 10 litres of 1/2 strength feed with the odd bit of Epsom salts made fresh every day

UncleBens

Similar but ph 6.2 and multi feeds, 5 per cycle and 20% waste, for 4 plants I run 10 litres of 1/2 strength feed with the odd bit of Epsom salts made fresh every day

Ive been interested in doing multiple feeds per day, but wasnt sure how to figure out the right ec levels for doing so.
Is that 4 plants per 4x4 area?

Bush Dr

Veteran
Ive been interested in doing multiple feeds per day, but wasnt sure how to figure out the right ec levels for doing so.
Is that 4 plants per 4x4 area?

Yes mate, growing vertical style ...there's no room for more or if there is the total yield remains the same and takes more trimming time

With multiple feeds just feed at whatever rate you already feed at

I use 1/2 strength

BTW most problems in coco are from tamping down the coco like soil and squeezing the air out, do this each transplant and you can build in areas where lockout occurs

eebbnflow

Hi if someone can offer any helpful suggestions before I give up I’d really appreciate it.

Veg seems to go really well then in flower I get terrible leafy buds and a really bad yield running DTW def N toxicity claw etc

This is using 9x 8L fabric pots and 2.4kw
1st run was with Shogun nutes at about 2/2.5ml per litre EC 1.2-1.6. Running 3 feeds per day and lots of run off. I think that the plants weren’t using much of the nutrient before the next feed so there was too much run off??

The next run was using GHE nutes in a 6/9 ratio with Epsom. This was 2 rooms one room did ok the other terrible.

I have a friend running the same strain but in big pots with wet dry cycles and feeds them higher without any problems. This make me think some part of the DTW small ish pots is related to the problems.

What things could cause a N tox in DTW?

Thanks
Do you have white roots that fill the pots entirely to accept 3 feeds a day ?i try to wait for almost root bound roots before transplant .

I hand water once daily sometimes twice depending on size and or if in flower .

1.2ec is plenty IMO . Some may disagree:tiphat:

Analysis Typical Value UK/EU Limit Units
Hardness Level Slightly Hard No standard applies
Hardness Clark 8.40 No standard applies Degrees Clark
Hardness French 12.00 No standard applies French Degrees
Hardness German 6.72 No standard applies German Degrees
Data is for period 01-September-2016 to 31-August-2017
Water Quality Summary Report
For most analysis, results are from samples taken at random in the water quality zone of your area. In some cases, results are from samples taken from water treatment supply points feeding the zone.
Analysis Analysis Units No of Results Minimum Result Average Result Maximum
Chloride mg/l 40 9.53 21.92 71.26 0 250

Conductivity µS/cm at 20ºC 27 193 329 483 0 2500
Copper mg/l 9 <0.0009 <0.0062 0.0125 0 2

Free Chlorine mg/l 174 <0.03 <0.29 0.54 0 No abnormal change

Iron µg/l 55 <10 <26 109 0 200
Lead µg/l 9 <0.4 <0.8 1.9 0 10
Nitrate mg/l 9 3.14 6.86 11.13 0 50
Nitrite mg/l 9 <0.004 <0.006 <0.007 0 0.5
Nitrite - Nitrate Calculated - 9 0.06 0.14 0.22 0 <1
pH pH value 55 7.47 7.64 7.91 0 Min 6.5, Max 9.5
Total Chlorine mg/l 174 0.07 0.36 0.61 0 No abnormal change

Analysis Units Min Avg Max

pH value 7.47 7.64 7.91

Conductivity µS/cm at 20ºC 193 329 483

Chloride mg/l 9.53 21.92 71.26
Nitrate mg/l 3.14 6.86 11.13
Sodium mg/l 9 20.4 36.5
Sulphate mg/l 29 48 104
Chlorine mg/l 0.07 0.36 0.61

This is my water report. Can anyone see any problems with it that would mess up the feeds causing too much N

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...'Analysis Units Min Avg Max

pH value 7.47 7.64 7.91'...

...this is way too high, go read that thread i linked you to.

bozo

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...i learned a LOT about coco DTW studying HGO's work, in particular that thread i linked to, i think you'll find many of your answers in that thread.

...but that's on you, read it, don't read it, either way my plants still grow.

bozo

picture.php

...btw, you're welcome.

I’ve read the thread start to finish. I’m following his advice to the letter as best I can. Small pots multi feeds loads of roots etc. There’s some strange reason I’m getting N tox with a low ec. It must be something to do with either the tap water or the coco or both. Maybe something is messing the cec of the coco. It needs some out of the box thinking.

I notice canna says use at least 5l pots. Is there something to do with Canna coco that make multi feed DTW not work? Should I run hydro bloom feeds during 12/12 to lower then N. All I am after is suggestions of what might cause N tox in small pots DTW system. When the same strain, same coco, same nutes can run a high ec when hand watered in large pots without N tox???

It’s driving me mad

Ps posting a pic of your good looking grow doesn’t make me feel better.

How about if someone comes up with a suggestions that actually works I’ll send them $100 Bitcoin

Bush Dr

Veteran
You have yet to post up any pics, not easy to help when it's just a vague complaint ...what's the texture of the coco in the pots look like

What do your roots look like, pic please

You're in the uk right?

That water analysis looks like it's on the east with chalky soil?

Lucas 6/9 is ok for veg but to high in N for decent flowering, I use 6/9 for veg and have a bit more N left in than I'd like when they finish which I'm trying to deal with by alternate days feeding GH Bloom which contains no N from week 3 onwards

As far as water goes, if you can drink it OK what's the problem, ph can be adjusted and Canna do nutes for that Ph range in their soft water range, just like they do hard water for my area

Great. Thanks I’ll post some pics up ASAP but it will be tomorrow. I’m in the midlands. Severn Trent water that says moderately hard. TBH I think the water must be fine. Have you managed to get Multi feed DTW working in the UK using small pots etc. ?

Bush Dr

Veteran
Great. Thanks I’ll post some pics up ASAP but it will be tomorrow.

I’m in the midlands. Severn Trent water that says moderately hard.

TBH I think the water must be fine.

Have you managed to get Multi feed DTW working in the UK using small pots etc. ?

The Midlands hmmm strange having a ph above 7.2, still who knows WTF they get water from these days

Agreed water is Ok

If you've read HGO's thread then you should know who taught him