What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hmong Thai - 2017

ahortator

Veteran
Hi. A Cannabis line is not preserved by only a handful of plants. But Western growers cannot do much more than get some seeds, usually no much more than 10 or 20, and grow as many plants as one can do which usually they are no more than 20 or 30 at best. The problem is that most people chop all the males, and someone that wants seeds leave only one.

Two key requirements must be fulfilled before an accession can be considered adequately reproduced. The primary goal of a germplasm preservation project is the conservation of the entire gene pool. It is very important that the population size is large enough to ensure that nearly all of the genes within the gene pool are reproduced in the resultant seed. We have set a minimum limit of 1,000 plants in each population. This should ensure 99% preservation of the gene pool. The second goal is to reproduce the accession in sufficient amounts to distribute seed to researchers worldwide. We have set a minimum limit of 200 grams of seed for storage and later reproductions. Two hundred grams is approximately 10,000 seeds and will allow 5,000 seeds to be stored in an active collection for reproduction and 5,000 seeds to be kept in long-term storage. Seeds can only be released to the research community if more than 200 grams of seed from each accession are held by the VIR.
http://www.druglibrary.net/olsen/HEMP/IHA/iha01101.html

In my neck of the woods young people prefer hyped Kush dominant polyhybrids, or even worse, dwarf autoflowering hybrids. If you offer seeds to them they ask if those seeds are feminised and if they aren't they usually avoid them as hell. Here none have enough patience to finish a good Thai.

Manivelle

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
he only found the one male
no he kept one male . its different.
and he said "preserved" . and i didn't agree with the term .

imo he did a repro . not a preservation run.
i'm not criticizing . i'm trying to be accurate. i know it's hard to preserve a line trust me . (remember i gave my seeds ...)
[/FONT]

RC_Colas

Veteran
Hola Coughie,

Looks like there has been a lot of action on my thread and you are spot on Amigo...only one true stable male was found. I generally prefer 3 males at a minimum however one is all I had so I focused on the ladies for stable genetic diversity in the future generations.

I would disagree with all of the other posters that would use Hermes in a reproduction/preservation, as they have no place in any lines I would want to work with. I will make sure to never ask them for any seeds LOL.

Thanks again to bushy and Donald for sharing the last of their seeds with me to keep the line alive, as it is a real gem.

Saludos

RC_Colas

RC Colas knows what he's doing.. it's my understanding that he only found the one male, so I don't know why you would expect him to use males that he didnt find...?

I understand preservation and what you all are talking about, but I don't see how it applies to this thread..

If all he got to grow were the 6 females and the 1 male, then hes done the best he could to preserve what he's managed to bring to life.

Of course, a larger genetic pool is better for preservation but to suggest that the prject is doomed when using 1 male for 1 generation - that's a bit extreme. From the sounds of that, he should have just bagged the whole effort because he had only one male to work with...

If there's still more seed, I would hope he'd find more males and use them to pollinate all the ladies too, but we only know what he's told us

RC_Colas

Veteran
Looking good
Is it the same line cannabiogen and ace use in their hybrids?

Hola 48N,

No this is a separate Hmong line gifted by bushy and Donald that came from North Central Thailand via the late professor. He was married to a Thai lady and these are from her family many generations old. Lucky to have a chance to play with them and secure future seeds so the line is not lost.

Saludos

RC_Colas

RC_Colas

Veteran
Talk is cheap. Show me what you've done in the area of preservation?

We live in an ungrateful canna community. Most folks don't care two cents about preservation.

Yeah, in an ideal world without fear of persecution, you can do a large pollination effort. In the mean time, one does what one can for the beloved plant.

Applaud the effort and commitment. I, for one, am grateful. Thank you brother.

Hola Huesos,

My pleasure amigo and happy to do my part as always. Funny how some people can find it easier to criticize something they know nothing about instead of just saying Thanks;) I am neither young nor ill-informed as my long track record will attest too.

Saludos

RC_Colas

therevverend

Veteran
In SE Asia cannabis wasn't usually grown sinsemilla so there was no reason to remove males and hermaphrodites. Hermaphrodites could be considered 'better' then males and females because all the plants produce flowers instead of just half.
I'd guess in many populations there'd be 90% hermaphrodites or more, a huge percentage. If your goal was 'preserving the land race strain intact' you'd have to keep those genetics because they are an essential part of what that strain was.
If you're growing it 'to improve an existing land race strain into a type that can be grown and appreciated by most modern cultivators' selecting only males and females would be ideal.
I'm not commenting on one or the other being 'good' or 'bad' just a choice a cultivator has to make. Considering the genes are being bottlenecked from thousands of plants down to ten or less, I can't criticize anyone for the selection they decide. I've never had to make that choice, I'm sure it isn't easy.
Cultures are changing and getting lost on such a massive scale worldwide. It's hard to imagine a strain being returned to it's place of origin and used for the purposes for which it was bred.

herbgreen

Veteran
Maybe the next gen will have a better male/female ratio right?

I mean most definitely...go from there!

You work with what you have and... You did your due

dil·i·gence

careful and persistent work or effort.
synonyms: conscientiousness, assiduousness, assiduity, hard work, application, concentration, effort, care, industriousness, rigor, meticulousness, thoroughness

bushweed

Veteran
Blessings and thanks RC, I'm glad you found some nice smoke among these rare ladies and glad you found a stable male! Man I appreciate the work you put in every time you do your thing, and I look forward to popping a few. Interesting to note for the general pundits that this is the Hmong line that Phylos surveyed and found to have Nepalese connections. So cool that you were able to cross the Purple Laos to the Hmong Thai, with the possibility that they are related through the tribes. I believe these two lines are the most vigorous drug cannabis seen on the net. Cheers amigo:dance013:

4 Dragons

I certainly appreciate the work you have done here and throughout the years!
The Purple Laos x Hmong Thai must be amazing!!!

RC_Colas

Veteran
Blessings and thanks RC, I'm glad you found some nice smoke among these rare ladies and glad you found a stable male! Man I appreciate the work you put in every time you do your thing, and I look forward to popping a few. Interesting to note for the general pundits that this is the Hmong line that Phylos surveyed and found to have Nepalese connections. So cool that you were able to cross the Purple Laos to the Hmong Thai, with the possibility that they are related through the tribes. I believe these two lines are the most vigorous drug cannabis seen on the net. Cheers amigo:dance013:

Muchas Gracias bushy, it was a pleasure to have a chance to work with your gift...much respect to you. Drop me a line soon so we can catchup:)

Saludos

RC_Colas
:tiphat:

RC_Colas

Veteran
I certainly appreciate the work you have done here and throughout the years!
The Purple Laos x Hmong Thai must be amazing!!!

Hola 4_Dragons,

Make sure to do a Grow Show of them for all to see...they will be monsters;)

Saludos

RC_Colas
:tiphat:

thejact55

Did you see any phenos going longer, say 18 wks? Or fairly consistent to this 14-16 range? I understand the selection pool was somewhat limited.

kaypee

nice job RC, its hard enough to even acquire the seeds in the first place. how many seeds did you get from your first open pollination?

im in luang prabang right now and have been sifting thru some different batches. the mekong is a unique place. i feel a lot of what is being sold is really just growing wild along the river.

Attachments

• IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 21

Raho

Veteran
This thread is hilarious.
People talking about how this line has been bottlenecked down from 1000's to less than ten plants.
If I remember right from our old friend (RIP) this line was a family heirloom from his wife that probably hadn't been grown in large numbers for many years (decades?) but rather in small family plots.
As the numbers shrank in country of origin, consistency of the line would increase through selection.
By the time the seeds were gifted from friend to friend, they would have become fairly stable. He grew small numbers himself for personal use before they ever left Thailand.

Ol' Prof certainly wouldn't go through the risk and effort to pass on a line to his friends that produced 90% herms. That's ridiculous.

The problem with using a single male is that if the male is a dud, then all the offspring are impacted.
RC only got one male. That's what he used.
The pics of that male are VERY nice BTW :)
The only plant culled was female.

As a contingency, RC dusted the girls separately with purple Laos pollen. A very nice complementary outcross.

Very good move mate!