What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Acapulco Gold from Barney's?

blays0r

Anyone have experience with this one? Legitimate AG seems pretty hard to come by. They claim to be using the original genetics from way back.

If you have run this, I'd be interested to know how it finished up. Does it actually cure up to a golden color like the original?

G

Grew a pair last spring.They were almost identical to an amnesia lemon and smelled pretty much the same.One of them had much leaf in the really foxtailed buds.Very good trichome production.The longest took 10 weeks.Potent stuff and really tasty.It smells of lemons/lemon cleaner.The cured buds remind a bit Jack Herer sweetness/citrousness.Its not a 90% sativa by a long shot.No gold colour IME.Don't think I'll run it again,but it's a good smoke.Don't like the plant and bud formation.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have heard nothing but good things about Barney's AG. I am running Bodhi's pure AG, have not smoked it before. For me pure beats the hell out of mixed, at least for old sativa lines.

I have Bohdi seeds started all 12 Acapulco Gold beans sprouted , I also have 3 Barney's Acapulco Gold that I bought at Organicann in Santa Rosa , heard Barney was a jerk but twice I have grown his strains and they were worth growing .

mexicani-ar

I haven't grown barneys AG - looks more like a hybrid. I have grown Bodhi Acapulco Gold (real deal landrace ), I cut her down at 15 weeks, she could have easily gone 16 to 17 weeks. If I were you I would try to get some Bodhi AG instead of Barneys AG , but that's just my opinion, saludos Mexicani-ar

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Barny's lsd back in the day was nice, that's a nice plant but couldn't look less like a golden sativa but is a nice looking plant... I'd love to seed them bohdi seeds grow that would be a long show worth watching..

G

I was under the impression these came from reef. Is that incorrect?

That's what I've heard,too.Amnesia lemon is supposed to be reef's "Love Potion No.1".Acapulco gold maybe being "Apple Pie" if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

blays0r

I also have heard good things about Barney's AG, which is why I brought up the topic. I asked them directly about the strain and was told it was the original genetics from decades ago, and that it does finish up gold colored. So that's conflicting with what people who grew it out say.

The original strain had this great color, like:
picture.php

That's what I'm interested in. It sounds like a good sativa but if it's missing the unique gold color that ruins it for me.

Homebrewer

Veteran
I bought/smoked some in Amsterdam and I wasn't a fan. I noticed a sleepy crash at the end of the high and would put the buzz somewhere around a 70/30 hybrid.

Reeferman once said on the forums that Barney had gotten some of his genetics , including the gold , honey bee , apple pie and one I can't remember . The gal who sold me a couple of clones let me sniff a bud , she said it was a little like trains wreck or cat piss , it smelled like lemons and I was drooling to smoke some , real sativa bud , lemon meringue pie sweet smell and very thin leafed bud .

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glad you are running that AG by Bodhi ^^. It looks really pure imo. All the plants looked the same, both male and female. Delicate structure of leaves and stems.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also have heard good things about Barney's AG, which is why I brought up the topic. I asked them directly about the strain and was told it was the original genetics from decades ago, and that it does finish up gold colored. So that's conflicting with what people who grew it out say.

The original strain had this great color, like:
View Image

That's what I'm interested in. It sounds like a good sativa but if it's missing the unique gold color that ruins it for me.

If I were you I would not worry on the color. Back in the old days they would dry the plants in the sun. Had a lot to do with it being gold.

I already had a few gold colored leaves on my AG plant but they were half dead too. It tells me this strain does go gold real easy.